The Incredible Efficiency of Teacher Salaries

lokisnow

In every school I've attended or had siblings attend in the UK, the Head would do occasional emergency teaching, while the deputies would be teachers first, and maybe get a supply teacher in to cover them if the head was away and they had to step up temporarily to a sort of full time replacement head role.

Subject leaders, special needs coordinators and all of that stuff are teachers who get cover in when, on occasions, they need to perform their other role during class hours. The only administrators that don't teach are the head teacher (principal), the caretaker and the office staff, which I think is the right way to run a school.

Hey, I say at least they're promoting competence. I dunno how many HORRIBLE people I've seen promoted into middle management because talented people were 'too valuable to lose on the front lines.' Also the dynamic of promoting incompetence because then they're no threat to the managers above them.

Guest Raids

Just wanted to say that I had nearly all above average teachers throughout my public education, and at least 10 were truly excellent. There were also a bunch of great teachers in the math and science courses that I didn't have because I didn't take the honors level courses in those subjects.

However, it is also true that the people who didn't take advanced or honors level courses did not have the same experience.

But, the idea that the only people who teach are people who can't do anything else is ludicrous. In MSU, the education program was highly competitive - people had to work their asses off just to be accepted into the program.

Having said that I never saw an education major get an A in any of the medieval history courses I took (the only one populated by a sizeable number of non-history majors) but that professor was notoriously hard and only gave As to people he thought could do doctoral programs in history. It's not necessary for primary teachers to be able to do that, or possibly even desirable, consider the single-minded groups of nerds that I used to hang out with and talk about Magyar weaponry and god knows what during that period.

• 2 weeks later...

And here's why little Johnny can't pass history:

Iris Salter, MEA President: "It's again a way to say to labor, you don't count. It's a way to say to employees get back. I believe it's just like being in the slave days."

http://www.wlns.com/Global/story.asp?S=14209117

Whatever she's making, she's overpaid.

Archived