Fantasy and SF Recommendations: Obscure books and series

Angalin

odd, I havent seen them mentioned nearly as much as martin, jordan, eddings, goodkind, etc.

Then perhaps you should search the site, hang around, and figure out the vibe before tagging popular and new series into the obscure section?

Butcher is one of the biggest names in the biz right now, and Shadows of the Apt had a dedicated discussion thread going on the front page when you posted it.

Heh...I'll bet my book is more obscure than any. Win! :thumbsup:

I came across an obscure little trilogy some years ago, called the Tomoe Gozen Saga, by Jessica Amanda Salmonson. I can't say they were my favorite books - the narrative style wasn't my cup of tea - but I am sure others would like it...if you can find the books. I got 'em used online, but I expect they can still be found.

Salmonson's not obscure. She's just bad. :)

You want obscure? John M. Ford. The Dragon Waiting. Now that's an obscure classic. Although, personally, my favorite of his was that final anthology, The Heat of Fusion. If you want a free taste of what his polymath mind could come up with? Go google any of the dozens of webpages that quote--in full--his poem, "Winter Solstice, Camelot Station." Or his "Troy: The Movie".

Thorne Smith. Who the hell even knows about Topper or The Night Life of the Gods these days?

Hope Mirrlees. Lud-in-the-Mist. If it weren't for Neil Gaiman and Lin Carter, nobody would even know this book existed.

If you haven't read The Twenty Palaces series by Harry Connoly do yourself a favor and start. If you are a fan of The Dresden Files you will definitely dig this series. Just know the publisher has cancelled the series due to lack of sales but there is a trilogy already out there plus a prequel. The first book Child of Fire is only 99cents on kindle so not much risk at all.

• 1 month later...

I just finished a recently published indie novel called 'Subterfuge in Heart' by an Australian author named Tobias Troy. I really really enjoyed it, and considering it was his first work, I thought he did an excellent job. It's got a very original storyline and I think it has the potential to really pick up. Worth googling, you can pick it up quite cheap from a few places online, too.

I just finished a recently published indie novel called 'Subterfuge in Heart' by an Australian author named Tobias Troy. I really really enjoyed it, and considering it was his first work, I thought he did an excellent job. It's got a very original storyline and I think it has the potential to really pick up. Worth googling, you can pick it up quite cheap from a few places online, too.

I find it very fishy when a self-published book gets rec'ed, especially by a person with 2 posts to his name.

That's racist.

Oh, here we we go, now I'm gonna get an earful about how white European semen is the central focus of fantasy literature, and how the white European authors of fantasy have no excuse for not representing other types of semen in their novels. I'm so sick of this argument.

I don't know if this series is really obscure since it was recommended to me by a large number of people on Tumblr - considering it only has about 30 reviews on Amazon it probably isn't that famous - but I think The Spiritwalker Trilogy by Kate Elliott is worth a shot. Only the first 2 books have been released so far, but the third one should be well on his way since the author finished a complete draft of it about a month ago.

It's steampunk fantasy, in a world where the Ice Age didn't end, where the Romans didn't fall and dinosaurs evolved into sentient beings. Also all the main characters are people of colour and the protagonist is a 20-year-old woman (of colour too).

The first book is called Cold Magic, the second Cold Fire and the third should be Cold Steel.

Archived