Wise Man's Fear Spoilers Thread (SPOILERS)

Spring Bass

A couple of crackpot theories to add to the mix

1) The relationship with Bast is interesting, because Bast looks up to Kvothe so much and is desparate to help him. What binds Bast to Kvothe and what are the rules about the fae living in the human world? My crackpot theory is that Bast may only be half-fae allowing him to have the best of both worlds. That means that Felurian is mother dearest, and "reshi" means "Daddy" in fae. Kvothe is described as nowhere near 30, and only a few years older than Bast, but if he grew up in the fae he may have been born about seven years ago.

Bast is 150 years old, though that maybe Fae-time, and he's a prince. There is no relation with Felurian. Reshi is supposed to be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rishi I think.

Oh, TvTropes points out that Kvothe's oath to Denna not to investigate her Patron, he swears by his Name, his Power, and his good Left Hand. Consequently, if he breaks that oath, he loses all those things.

On the other hand, I personally wouldn't be surprised if in the next book we learn that Penthe has given birth to a red-haired baby.

Or Vashet.

Oh, someone asked what Master Lauren taught. Pretty sure it's history given the books he assigns and most of the questions he asks. I meant to say that awhile ago, but it slipped my mind.

A couple of crackpot theories to add to the mix

1) The relationship with Bast is interesting, because Bast looks up to Kvothe so much and is desparate to help him. What binds Bast to Kvothe and what are the rules about the fae living in the human world? My crackpot theory is that Bast may only be half-fae allowing him to have the best of both worlds. That means that Felurian is mother dearest, and "reshi" means "Daddy" in fae. Kvothe is described as nowhere near 30, and only a few years older than Bast, but if he grew up in the fae he may have been born about seven years ago.

Which leads to a couple of questions. What of the promise that Kvothe would return to Felurian? If Kvothe is roughly 25, and there were a disaster when he was 18, there should be another disaster right about now.

Random question: If Auri is the princess to be rescued from a barrow king, does she have a sister? I thought he rescued princesses (plural).

Random observation: Early on, Bast lunges at Chronicler and K grabs him as if his "hand were a shackle. Bast struggled furiosly to free himself, but Kvothe stood behind the bar, arm outstretched, motionless as steel or stone." PR error, or does he still have one good hand?

1- as for being only half fae, doesnt Bast mention in the first book that he is some kind of prince? we know basically nothing at all about fae culture so far but i wouldnt imagine they'd let a halfbreed be a prince. as for Kvothe being Bast's father, it is an interesting possibility but again i thought Bast was older than Kvothe? not sure about that. but it is possible that bast lived many years in the fae realm and only a few in the human world.

As for Kvothe returning to Felurian, i would not be surprised if he didn't. One reason would be that it is extremely difficult for him to roam free on the Maer's land anymore. I think after his falling out with Meluan he is persona non grata in Vintas. Also, i doubt Felurian would not let him leave this time. Of course, we already saw that Kvothe has power over her by calling her true name so maybe he does go back and uses her true name as leverage to escape.

I'm not sure I think Auri is the princess to be rescued.. i dont see her leaving the Underthing unless someone killed her and dragged her dead body out. She seems to be really good at hiding, and has Kvothe and maybe Elodin as well watching her back. He had several random adventures in this book so maybe this is just something he winds up doing in book 3.

As for Bast not being able to break Kvothe's grip, maybe Bast was hesitant to rip his hand away and was just being super respectful to his reshi. Maybe there is another form of magic where you can bind your will to that of another so that they cannot disobey or overpower you physically.

Or Vashet.

Oh, someone asked what Master Lauren taught. Pretty sure it's history given the books he assigns and most of the questions he asks. I meant to say that awhile ago, but it slipped my mind.

I forget what he teaches but during admissions interviews, the Chancellor refers to Lorren as "Master Archivist". It is possible he doesn't TEACH anything as running the library seems to be an extremely difficult and important job. Have there been any mentions of him teaching?

I forget what he teaches but during admissions interviews, the Chancellor refers to Lorren as "Master Archivist". It is possible he doesn't TEACH anything as running the library seems to be an extremely difficult and important job. Have there been any mentions of him teaching?

No mentions of any actual Lorren classes, so he may just be the Archivist. However, while we know what the Arcane Masters and the Master Physician focus on, all the mundane Masters seem to double up. The Master Rhetorician teaches philosophy as well as rhetoric. The Master Arithmetician focuses on Math, though there are hints that he also teaches some physics as well as some business/economics/trade route stuff, what merchants would presumably need to know, since he often refers to cartography and exchange rates. The Master Linguist obviously teaches languages, but he's also the guy Simmon studies poetry with, so it seems to combine your Modern Language courses with your English (or Aturan) courses. None of them seem to teach History, but given the way most students and Arcanists seem fairly conversant with the subject, someone has to, and Lorren is the one who assigns historical texts to be read before the exams. So... I'm not certain, but I'd guess that he's the history prof.

Hey guys, First time posting here!!

Has anyone noticed That the book Kvothe keeps telling Bast to read in the first and sendond book is actually the book he stole from the Maer's house and then gave to Devi as a gift....So how come Kvothe has it back now?

As for Bast not being able to break Kvothe's grip, maybe Bast was hesitant to rip his hand away and was just being super respectful to his reshi. Maybe there is another form of magic where you can bind your will to that of another so that they cannot disobey or overpower you physically.

Actually toward the beginning of book one, this mentioned quote gives the impression Bast, as strong as he was, couldn't escape or even move Kvothe's grip. As further evidence, a little after this but still at the beginning of book one:

"As Bast reached across the table his sleeve pulled back to reveal a bruise blossoming around his wrist.

Bast self-consciously pulled his cuff back into place. "From when he grabbed me," he said quickly. "He's stronger than he looks. Don't mention it to him. He'll only feel bad."

So it doesn't seem Kvothe was completely weak, not to mention he did beat the scrael, I don't remember if he just held the iron bar in his right hand.

I also wonder, if he's been at the inn for two years, and he hasn't had his powers the whole time, how would he still forget and try to use them (e.g. trying to do sympathy to set the skin wearer on fire)? And at the beginning of book one, he warns Chronicler to remove his iron circle binding or he would break it, was he bluffing or did he still have/think he had his powers at that point?

Hey guys, First time posting here!!

Has anyone noticed That the book Kvothe keeps telling Bast to read in the first and sendond book is actually the book he stole from the Maer's house and then gave to Devi as a gift....So how come Kvothe has it back now?

Did he give the impression anywhere it was the same book? I just assumed it was a different one, I seem to recall it was a common and useful book, maybe he just bought some books of his own eventually.

Archived