Wise Man's Fear Spoilers Thread (SPOILERS)

Spring Bass

What do you all think will happen with Ben? Do you think that he will factor into the story again? We are told that he is an older man, but he obviously isn't old enough to not be viable for marriage, the reason he leaves the troupe. So Ben is very likely still alive. I was just surprised that Kvothe hasn't met up with him again. He had such an important role in shaping Kvothe's life that I figured if Kvothe was never going to see him again he would tell us. Why didn't he go looking for Ben when he had the time? What do you all think Ben's role in the story will be, if any?

What do you all think will happen with Ben? Do you think that he will factor into the story again? We are told that he is an older man, but he obviously isn't old enough to not be viable for marriage, the reason he leaves the troupe. So Ben is very likely still alive. I was just surprised that Kvothe hasn't met up with him again. He had such an important role in shaping Kvothe's life that I figured if Kvothe was never going to see him again he would tell us. Why didn't he go looking for Ben when he had the time? What do you all think Ben's role in the story will be, if any?

I asked PR this question! It just seemed odd that Kvothe wouldn't at least send him a letter. However, K does say that he would not see Abenthy 'for many years' and, when describing Ben's marriage: "...I don't think anyone could have built a better snare for Ben if they had tried." Haven't had an answer yet. I think that K is supposed to break out the moon/other things; he is being set up to do so by nearly everyone for different reasons and that Denna's patron beats her because she doesn't betray K as much as he woud like......but getting back to Ben's role...he set Kvothe on the path in the first place. So, who is Ben?

Nor do I believe his Alar was shattered thus making him powerless.

I simply see this as the story of a broken man, aged well beyond his years by a final betrayal, or loss if you will. Just like his fighting, magic demands a strenght of focus and will, something he no longer seems capable of.

Alar = strength of focus and will. That's pretty much how the concept is described.

2) What if this story is put here not because of character development, but in order to present us with 'Open Circle' lore?

While it may set up something along those lines, in this book it seemed to be there to facilitate Kvothe's break with the Maer.

When I read that Meluan's sister had run off with a Ruh, my immediate thought was Kvothe's mother, but I dismissed it out of hand because I thought I remembered that Kvothe had met his mother's family and because I thought it was a little too pat. But "not tally a lot less..." Wow. All but proves I was wrong. Very nice catch.

The other weakness is the visibly flagging energy towards the end of the book. The scene where Kvothe saves Denna's life by calling the wind for instance is one of the poorest executed hero moments in brevity, flatness and predictably. Speaking of which the Denna situation is simply bewildering. That despite saving her life yet again, she views him with hostility and mistrust, well it just makes her enormously unattractive as a character. Her real relationship with the men in her life is never explained, but even Rothfuss' deliberate ambiguity and multiple attempts from Deoch to Fela to justify her cannot explain or save her bewildering jealousy at Kvothe. She just lacks solidity and balance as a character.

I absolutely agree with you regarding denna. There's even a line on 238 where she says "if anyone in my life had ever looked at me the way you look at that lute i'd"

Then on 972 kvothe inadvertently confesses to her and she still rejects him. By this time he's saved her life again and gotten her ring back. Ugh

I honestly think though that denna's weakness as a character stems from Rothfuss's weakness as a writer early on. Remember he wrote the whole thing back in 2000 then spent the next 11 years polishing and adding and tweaking stuff. I imagine the kvothe denna relationship was at the very heart of the story and thus represents both his early strengths and weaknesses.

Compare Denna to Devi and Auri for example. Both devi and auri feel way more real to me as characters. They're also very late additions and represent his best writing. In fact I feel that Sim, wil and fela are all curiously hollow characters. And I still have major problems with the worldbuilding. Too many bizarre anachronisms. But I'm fully invested in kvothe and his story now. Really really want the third book.

It's taking all of my lagging willpower to keep from reading this thread. DAMN IT! My copy hasn't arrived yet. :angry:

Am nearing the end of my reread of Name of the Wind, but I'm draaaaggginnngg it out.

Whoops, I just caught a glimpse of the post underneath mine. So it flags towards the end, eh? Well, so did NotW. Didn't bother me, though. The rest was filled with awesome.

Carry on.

Several comments:

1a. Writing style

Yes there is repetition of previously known facts. I suspect this may not be for the edification of Kvothe, rather the edification of the reader. Not everyone is going to remember all these details, and sometimes a refresher is useful. Unlike many other books, Rothfuss doesn't have an index, glossary, etc. at the end.

1b. Descriptive repetition

I kind of agree that part of the point of the description is to re-inforce how Kvothe today is utterly unlike the Kvothe of earlier years. He describes his room in Anker's as being comfortably size - now he owns an inn. He was one of the Ruh, a rootless, vagabond people who delighted in their travels and collecting new stories, seeing new places, etc. A people who somewhat hold in contempt those who stay in one place. Now he has put down very solid roots - owning an inn. Before he was full of drive and passion (or as the Adema said - anger), now that only peeks through in odd moments. Seems like he needs Prozac : )

2. Killing the bandits

If you read the chapter carefully (I had to re-read), he actually poisoned them before he discovered that they had two girls in captivity. My guess is he wanted a way to leave easily and that his suspicions were triggered by one of the guys claiming to have nicked some ale in Levinshir (which a true Ruh would not have done).

The bandits didn't even bring out the girls until after they had been poisoned. Based on his comments, it seems obvious that he had planned to kill them and that their kidnapping was just another reason.

About the two soldiers: So, Bast hired them to come into the inn in the hope that it would make Kvothe fight, then killed them because he didn't and they beat him up? Weird.

Also, does Kvothe actually have a ring of Air or was he just kidding with Elodin?

Plus, did anyone notice the small bit of evidence that Elodin was still at the University? Chronicler talks about him, and the conversation implies that Elodin continues as Master Namer.

Master Herma: Anyone find his sudden illness and subsequent rise of Hemme suspicious? Did someone want to prevent Kvothe from becoming an expert in Yllish? Denna seemed awfully pissed that Kvothe knew some Yllish. Maybe some secret stories of the Chandrian are to be found in Yllish stories, and Master Ash worked to prevent Kvothe from getting to them after he heard from Denna that Kvothe was learning the language?

1. About the soldiers, Kvothe did fight, he fought and lost. Perhaps Bast was more successful than he thought in getting Kvothe ready to re-engage with the world. After all the novel ends with Kvotha practising Ketan.

2. Chronicler by all the evidence probably went to university before Kvothe. Kvothe read his book on the mating habits of the common draccus while at university. However it appears he may have revisited since he heard fresh stories about Kvothe at the university. So there is no reason to believe that Elodin continues as Master Namer. He may or he may not. It would be interesting to find out what happened in relation to Elodin's breakdown.

Elodin knows the Name of the Wind. Presumably he would be able to tell if Kvothe had made himself a ring of air.

3. Honestly I think Hemme was behind some of Kvothe's problems. I don't think Denna has disclosed her friendship with Kvothe to Bredon.

1. About the soldiers, Kvothe did fight, he fought and lost. Perhaps Bast was more successful than he thought in getting Kvothe ready to re-engage with the world. After all the novel ends with Kvotha practising Ketan.

I'm 99% certain that it's as everyone thinks - Kvothe was actually upset by not being able to beat the soldiers, so he's practicing. But a tiny part of me thinks that his loss to the soldiers was an act.

He lifted his hands like a dancer, shifted his weight, and took one single perfect step.

A perfect step. Not a near-perfect step, or an out of practice step. Perfect.

I also think that Kvothe's loss to the soldiers was an act. Maybe he knew that Bast had hired them and wanted to teach him a lesson? It just doesn't make sense to me that he could defeat five scrael (where presumably the slightest mistake would have killed him) but then lose to two soldiers a few nights later. We will see.

The chapters about Kvothe killing the bandits were there to demonstrate that Kvothe can be ruthless if ruthlessness is required. For the greater good, like the Amyr. In fact, the book keeps saying how much like an Amyr he is, almost forcing it down our throats. Twice his hands were covered in blood, with him thinking, "Hey, I look like an Amyr like this." And then Simmon explicitly says that Kvothe gets things done the way the Amyr used to.

[EDIT] I hope Rothfuss earns a lot of money. He promised to bring back Firefly if earns enough.

The chapters about Kvothe killing the bandits were there to demonstrate that Kvothe can be ruthless if ruthlessness is required. For the greater good, like the Amyr. In fact, the book keeps saying how much like an Amyr he is, almost forcing it down our throats. Twice his hands were covered in blood, with him thinking, "Hey, I look like an Amyr like this." And then Simmon explicitly says that Kvothe gets things done the way the Amyr used to.

I was thinking about the bloody hands earlier. It is done a lot. I'm hoping that either it's not simply foreshadowing, Kvothe has Amyr genes (if they are the Lackless family), or maybe the Amyr turn out to be baddies - after Kvothe has joined them.

Is anyone bothered that Ambrose is such am Mustashe twirler?

I think most people are, luckily he's not a huge presence, he just provides university drama.

If he is the penitent king, it'd be interesting if he turns out to be a present-day good guy, trying to make up for tha bad things he's done. If Kvothe is indeed responsible for the state of the world, the price on his head may be justified.

SM,

I'd be quite pleased if that were the case. Perhaps Kvothe kills his Dad then Ambrose, in his grief sees what he has been doing all these years. Kvothe has some real darkness in him. I've wondered, from timt to time, if he is being groomed to become a new Chandrian.

If it wasn't First Person and we were seeing Ambrose and some of the University teachers' sides on the way Kvothe acts, especially in the first novel when he's just arrived and is a smug little shit about every little thing, Kvothe wouldn't come across as nearly as sympathetic and Ambrose wouldn't seem nearly as a bad guy.

Archived