Wise Man's Fear Spoilers Thread (SPOILERS)

Spring Bass

Oh, another thing, when the soldiers were beating up Kvothe, why didn't Chronicler do anything? I mean, the soldiers probably had swords or knives at their hips, right? He could have spoken the name of iron and shattered them, a thigh-full of sharp metal would be a fairly large discouragement.

Oh, another thing, when the soldiers were beating up Kvothe, why didn't Chronicler do anything? I mean, the soldiers probably had swords or knives at their hips, right? He could have spoken the name of iron and shattered them, a thigh-full of sharp metal would be a fairly large discouragement.

He was in on it?

Here's a fun scenario. Denna knows about Kvothe's and Ambrose's antipathy. At the instruction of her Patron (Cinder) she fakes her death and makes it look like Ambrose is responsible. Kvothe, who is very vindictive thinks death is too easy for Ambrose, who he discovers loves his father very much. Out of pure spite he kills Ambrose's dad who is now King of Vintas. The Ademere take back Ceasurea for Kvothe's folly and Kvothe goes into hiding as the rightous and innocent Ambrose begins the war to hunt down Kvothe.

He was in on it?

eh, was he?

And the Wikipedia article says Ambrose is the king that Kvothe killed, but I don't know where they got that info from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kingkiller_Chronicle#Characters

Oh, from TvTropes

At the start of Name of the Wind, a slightly drunk traveller mentions that 'he saw the place in Imre where Kvothe killed "him"', and that the cobblestones where the unknown person was killed are shattered beyond possibility of reparation.

I guess that's the evidence the wiki-dude used in favor of Ambrose.

Spoony,

No, I got more. I simply dislike such absolute statements regarding an inherently subjective topic of discussion.

What you get out of this is completely up to you.

I have no qualms making strong statements based off of personal taste and opinion.

And it is because this is such a subjective topic of discussion that you are going to get such a wide degree of strong statements.

I object to the people who seemed to love this book.

Feel free to disagree with me, but talking about how my opinion is not for our purpose as concrete as a bar of 'ramston steel' seems like a very contrived way of simply telling me that my argument is 'just my opinion'

- of course it is my opinion. What else is this about other than opinion?

You don't like reading the story of someone's life it appears. Out of curiosity have you seen "The Curious Case of Benjermin Button"? If so, did you like it? It's structure is quite similar to these books. The story of a man's life told over a present day framing structure. I love that movie.

No I haven't seen this movie.

But you know - I have read biographies and autobiographies that I have enjoyed.

Hell. I even enjoyed the Name of the Wind, even though I thought parts of the narrative were flawed.

Angeleyes

While your opinions are your own,

Really? Thanks!

I'm glad we cleared the air on this.

I hardly think they [my opinions] qualify as relevant in a topic consisting of speculation based on The Wise Man's Fear.

It seems as if we have a difference of opinion here.

I really don't think that your opinion of my opinion is relevant.

And I damned well am not going to start a separate topic on the same book.

Some of you loved this book.

I didn't. Deal with it.

You are allowed to decide that the book is poorly written, full of 2d juvenile characters, and even meandering. But please don't post over and over trying to gin up support and act indignant when we get upset about it.

I'm beginning to feel indignant about this now.

But that is mostly because of your passive aggressive language.

Make a statement. Support it. Grow up. Stop trying to tell my why my opinions are invalid in the guise of what you think I am and am not entitled to feel or think.

Maybe a careful reread or three is in order before you give us another post detailing how much you hated this book but are looking forward to the next one because it has soo much potential. Shoo

I think maybe you need to reread this book several times until you acknowledge how horrible the story pacing is - how the book seems to lack a dramatic climax to a perceptible story arc - and how it is chalk full of unnecessary filler.

And to be fair - I haven't said anything about how I am looking forward to the next book - or whether it has any potential.

I hope you reconsider your next post before detailing yet again to us about how you are looking forward to the forth book and the potential homosexual encounter between Kvothe and Bast when he is going through his experimental period in college.

polishgenius

I don't really care that you dislike the book and I can't disagree that parts of it were overlong and it doesn't have the structural elegance the first did, but if you think the middle chapters had no importance to the narrative then you simply weren't paying attention.

Sorry. My post was unclear. I thought that the entire book read like a bad middle chapter in a series.

Sure - there were some important bits thrown in. Hints that might enrich the plot.

I just think the majority of it was filler, and that Rothfuss didn't approach it very well.

I was actually enjoying the narrative until it got to the Maer.

Then it started to go downhill. And progressively I began to realize/suspect that nothing important was going to happen in the next 300 - 400 pages.

mostly due to the slow pacing.

eh, was he?

Dunno. Seems plausible.

And the Wikipedia article says Ambrose is the king that Kvothe killed, but I don't know where they got that info from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kingkiller_Chronicle#Characters

Oh, from TvTropes

I guess that's the evidence the wiki-dude used in favor of Ambrose.

If someone's got a wikipedia account, they should probably edit it. Pure speculation.

If the 2nd trilogy is people trying to stop a rejuvenated, evil Kvothe then that would be awesome.

Rothfuss said in interviews that he will continue to have stories in his world (http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/patrick-rothfuss-the-mercury-interview/Content?oid=3588162)

but i can't find anything anywhere confirming that there will be a second trilogy with kvothe set in the present. Can anyone dig up a link? I actually fear that Kvothe's story might really be finished after the third book. Either he's hunted down and killed or just left as a broken man in hiding/on the run.

(spoilers for earthsea novels)

The reason I fear this is because what happens to Ged in the earthsea novels.

After his story arc is finished "he's done with doing".

Ged's story truly is over even if his life isn't.

Might we see someone else deal with the chandrian other than kvothe?

All we know is Kvothe kills a King. It may or may not be Ambrose.

Do we know that Kvothe kills a king? We know that Kvothe is called the Bloodless despite having blood and sometimes bleeding. He says he "earned", "bought and paid for" all of his epithets, but any of them might be applied metonymically. Something that connotes a success as explicitly as Kingkiller—pace Kingslayer Jaime Lannister—may have some rueful misfortune behind it.

One king-killing possibility that I'm piecing together from the fantastic observations and speculation here: Ambrose's team takes steps to drastically abbreviate the line of succession. But Maer Alveron is still ahead of Ambrose, and is possibly already seated on the throne. Aunt Meluan & Uncle Rand, (who've incidentally failed to produce an heir), invite Kvothe to try to open the Loeclos box, his birthright as the Son Who Brings The Blood. With yet another fantastic, legendary success, Kvothe opens the box: surely its contents will turn the tide and help them defeat Ambrose! Except the box unleashes the scrael, who quickly kill the king & lady Lackless. He earns the title of Kingkiller, all right! But not because he killed the guy he really wanted to kill. "Kingkiller" reminds him not of an intentional success but of the consequences of his persistent, reckless success at every turn. Kvothe is pursued in the present not because of the king he killed, but because of the king he failed to kill.

OK, firstly I do like it, particularly the unintentional, disastrous king killing, but here's my problem with the Scrael being in the box..... They're coming from the other side of the stormwall, right?

Except, the king who was killed, was killed in Imre, causing the pavement to break.

No, the "him" from that passage is not specified. It could be anyone male.

I love it when some people feel the need to be an Internet tough guy. Using absolutes to describe the qualities of a book is almost universally silly. I don't think there's much argument to be made.

In regards to the book. When Kvothe's finally told the poem about the Cheradin, towards the end of the book, a passage made me think Rothfuss enjoys the occasional Nick Cave.

He's a ghost, he's a god,

he's a man, he's a guru

You're one microscopic cog

in his catastrophic plan

Designed and directed by

his red right hand

Although, writing out the lyrics I suddenly realised that Cave borrowed this reference from Paradise Lost... neat.

I am confrontational and in your face, zomgh

Ok, thanks for playing.

Has anyone looked at the verse that Kvothe's dad sings, from the song he was writing? I had a glance and there doesn't seem to be anything especially jumping out at me which would have triggered the chandrian to suddenly decide to whack their whole troupe for singing it.

Ok, thanks for playing.

Has anyone looked at the verse that Kvothe's dad sings, from the song he was writing? I had a glance and there doesn't seem to be anything especially jumping out at me which would have triggered the chandrian to suddenly decide to whack their whole troupe for singing it.

Supposedly mentioning the chandrian enough draws their attention - and from what we can gather they don't want to be remembered or even possibly talked about.

That is all that we know. Aside from how evvvvill they supposedly are.

- as far as being confrontational goes. I am perfectly happy talking about what I don't like as far as the books are concerned.

When people start talking about the validity of my language and opinions - then it becomes something else entirely.

It wasn't necessarily the verse he played publicly. The private rehearsal while he was composing was the big problem, saying the names of the Chandrian over and over and thus drawing them to him. (Edit: Spoony beat me to it.)

On the Amyr, the Singers, and the Sithe: Kvothe mentions that he'd like to visit the Tahl, because their leaders are singers whose songs heal the sick and make the trees dance. He also mentions the witch women of the Tahl when he tells the story of the boy with the golden screw. Maybe these are the Singers?

Anyone know of any forums dedicated to Kingkiller Chronicles like this one is to ASOIAF?

As much as I'm enjoying is thread its still only one thread where a good bit of the posts are trolls.

I have some things I would like to discuss but would prefer to bring them up in a dedicated Kingkiller Chronicles community to avoid having to read through pages of trolls that hate of the book simply because its beyond their understanding.

Archived