Soccer/Football XXVII

BLU-RAY

Because the old one got closed for >20 pages.

Anyway, H7 and any other potentially interested parties, any thoughts on the Hammers moving into the new Olympic Stadium in London after the 2012 games? Massive upgrade? Soulless hellhole? Bittersweet? Meh? Also, thoughts on the change from ~35,000 spectators @ Upton Park to 60K at the new joint?

My thought on that is that it's massively unfair on Leyton Orient, who's current stadium is less than a mile from the Olympic site. I'm hoping that promotions and relegations in the intervening time mean Orient are equal to or above West Ham by the time it comes to actually move (presuming they can't just get it tied up in legalities - technically there are rules against moving that close to an existing club).

My thought on that is that it's massively unfair on Leyton Orient, who's current stadium is less than a mile from the Olympic site. I'm hoping that promotions and relegations in the intervening time mean Orient are equal to or above West Ham by the time it comes to actually move (presuming they can't just get it tied up in legalities - technically there are rules against moving that close to an existing club).

i know of those rules when it comes to northern american professional leagues and relocating franchises, but this is the first time i've heard of it when it comes to european football.

and i know of examples that contradict that, such as crystal palace and wimbledon sharing a stadium (10-or-so years ago), everton's goodison park and liverpool's anfield being on opposite sides of stanley park and, outside of england, partizan belgrade and crvena zvezda having their grounds less than half a mile apart. that's off the top of my head, i don't feel like searching the web more thouroughly...

Plenty of clubs in Europe that share grounds. I even heard rumour of it happening in Milan.

i sure do feel stupid now... :lol:

milan, rome, turin all have their teams sharing grounds.

not watching italian football anymore was bound to have it's revenge on me ;)

RE:

I agree with a lot of what you say, Mormont. It's true the past 18 months have been completely different for the two clubs. Rangers have suffered a great deal. But when you're reflecting on both teams -- they're a fully assembled, title winning squad with vast experiance, whereas we're just putting the finishing touches on ours. They've lost Boyd, Miller and Thomson, but I don't feel even with those players they'd be capable of defeating our current side. The skill level of our squad is far superior to theirs.

I'll be interested in seeing what type of player McCoist decides on bringing into the club. If it reflects their recent transfer history, I won't lose any sleep.

i know of those rules when it comes to northern american professional leagues and relocating franchises, but this is the first time i've heard of it when it comes to european football.

and i know of examples that contradict that, such as crystal palace and wimbledon sharing a stadium (10-or-so years ago), everton's goodison park and liverpool's anfield being on opposite sides of stanley park and, outside of england, partizan belgrade and crvena zvezda having their grounds less than half a mile apart. that's off the top of my head, i don't feel like searching the web more thouroughly...

There are teams right next to each other or sharing, but they've all either been there for decades or had to apply to special dispensation and come to an agreement with each other.

Article here detailing the rule.

You missed the most extreme example outside of a groundshare though; Dundee and Dundee United being seperated by 160meters.

Not sure if this little gem was mentioned in the previous thread.

In a Primera D match in Argentina the referee kind of lost control of the match. Towards the end of the match, with both teams having 10 players left on the field, there were a bit of a fracas. Apparently the match continued after the fracas, but in the match report, the referee unable to identify the players involved in the fracas resolved the issue by red carding 36 players, all 22 players on the field as well as seven substitutes from each team, and the two coaches. (I assume the two players expelled earlier in the match ended up with two red cards each)

I'll be interested in seeing what type of player McCoist decides on bringing into the club. If it reflects their recent transfer history, I won't lose any sleep.

This here would be pretty much my point. If he's allowed to bring players in, McCoist won't really get to decide, any more than Smith has. They're only allowed to sign a player if and when the bank allows it, and mostly they haven't allowed it, except for loans when the team is really desperate. They weren't even given the wherewithal to prise players from Dundee United or Hibs when half of their first-team players were sold against their will. (Their squad is really better described as 'disassembled'.) Unlike Lennon, who's been backed by his board on every signing he's wanted to make, to the point of being allowed to write off and replace Hooiveld, a player signed for £1.4m weeks before he took charge.

Under these circumstances, I expected Celtic to be out of sight by now. And if you really think Rangers are that bad, shouldn't you, too?

As for the claim that Lennon is 'just putting the finishing touches' on his team, he's had a year now. 9 months if you want to date it from the permanent appointment, though I see no real argument for doing so. He started making changes right from day one, and there was never any real doubt he'd get the job permanently - except maybe after he managed to lose to Ross County...

Because the old one got closed for >20 pages.

Anyway, H7 and any other potentially interested parties, any thoughts on the Hammers moving into the new Olympic Stadium in London after the 2012 games? Massive upgrade? Soulless hellhole? Bittersweet? Meh? Also, thoughts on the change from ~35,000 spectators @ Upton Park to 60K at the new joint?

I'm not massively keen, but I'd have been less than massively keen on Spurs moving into our heartland, too! I don't like grounds with athletic tracks, and I think it will ruin the intense atmosphere you get at Upton Park. I can't see the Hammers coming anywhere near filling the place, either, unless there is a totally unexpected improvement in standards.

It's all a bit depressing, really. Almost makes me wish Paris had won the bid.

Under these circumstances, I expected Celtic to be out of sight by now. And if you really think Rangers are that bad, shouldn't you, too?

I'm expecting us to win the league comfortably. We'll see. The problem is that there aren't many other decent teams in the league to take points off them.

As for the claim that Lennon is 'just putting the finishing touches' on his team, he's had a year now.

It takes a lot longer than you'd think. He's had to work around transfer windows. You can't sell a bunch of players when you first come in. Waiting until the summer was the right idea. Commons was a good late addition. I'd expect Wilson and Matthews to be fairly good, as well.

In the next window, I'd like to see us sell more than buy. We've missed Forrest and Maloney for a large part of the season, who I feel could add further still. And I'm disappointed Hooiveld and Rasmussen haven't been given more of an opportunity at the club.

I'm expecting us to win the league comfortably.

Celtic have played 27 games, so they've left it kind of late for that. As I said, at the moment their best chance of winning the league at all is Rangers' fixture congestion. To win 'comfortably', they need exactly what you say has been lacking: other teams to take a significant number of points off Rangers, without doing the same to Celtic. And that would be because Celtic, so far this season, have dropped more points to those other teams than Rangers have. (14 against 10, if my arithmetic is right.)

You can't have it both ways. The results tell the tale: Celtic cannot be terrific while Rangers are crap, not with the table as it is. The real story is that Rangers have been underwhelming this season - but so have Celtic.

And while Rangers have an excuse, I'm not sure you'll get many takers not wearing green-and-white for the claim that Celtic also have an excuse, i.e. being in transition. (Having followed football for a while, by the way, I do have a reasonable idea of how long that takes, transfer windows and all.) I think the fact is that Lennon's underachieving somewhat. I have the utmost sympathy for the crap he's had to put up with, the fake nail bombs, bullets in the post, and all that. But I think most neutrals in Scottish football would say the same.

Third defeat in one week for Bayern, apparently they've forbidden their players to give post-game interviews today.

Oh to be a follower of a club where being in 4th place, getting knocked out of the cup in the semis and having one leg in the CL quarter finals counts as a crisis.

Oh to be a follower of a club where being in 4th place, getting knocked out of the cup in the semis and having one leg in the CL quarter finals counts as a crisis.

Yeah Bayern is stuck in a rut. They beat Inter, and it went suddenly downhill from there. I'm sure you'll loath me for suggesting van Bommel's sale may have a part in that, but I'll think and say it anyway. An instrumental player, the team captain, suddenly sold mid season. I did say this was going to cause problems.

What also comes into it is that Ribery is still shit and continues to add little to the team. Then again, even a mediocre Ribery is still to be preferred over Altintop.

There's every chance that Bayern will get it on the rails again though, still many excellent players and a very good manager at hand.

I just looked at the ranking and saw to my surprise that Werder is actually fully in the relegation zone, and that Stuttgart and Gladback won today. Precarious.

Yeah Bayern is stuck in a rut. They beat Inter, and it went suddenly downhill from there. I'm sure you'll loath me for suggesting van Bommel's sale may have a part in that, but I'll think and say it anyway. An instrumental player, the team captain, suddenly sold mid season. I did say this was going to cause problems.

Bayern's main problem seems to be filling the second central midfield spot. One could put that down to van Bommel's sale, but they bought Luiz Gustavo, one of the best defensive midfielders in the league, and he did great against Inter. But then van Gaal decided he'd try him at left back and switch Pranjic into the middle. Since Pranjic isn't that strong defensively that forces Schweinsteiger further back, which he seems to be doing about as effectively as when van Gaal decided to field him as an attacking midfielder earlier in the season. Or maybe he just has trouble motivating himself after the most recent contract extension.

Ribéry and Robben are far away from their best, the latter basically does nothing but cut inside and shoot these days, and since the team's attacking threat is very dependent on them that's a huge problem. The only thing worse is that in defense only Badstuber and Lahm are up to spec, and the former is still very young.

IFAB has banned snoods

Next up: Robben's long underwear.

Seriously though, let them wear it if they think it helps them. What's with the obsession of looking "tough"? They are paid to play football, if wearing a silly looking neck warmer or ugly shorts helps them focus on their game, where's the harm?

Gah, no love for Liverpool (Australia is Liverpool plastic central and they're all muppets) but it's so shit-soaked seedy when what's best for the Bolton is best for the Rags.

Archived