Soccer/Football XXVII

BLU-RAY

And the guy who basically choked Van Persie should have gotten booked as well. Sorry, but he ran into him and hit him in the face. Yellow, great, but straight red for something like that? Nah.

iirc, dani alves vas on van persie's right side, and van persie slapped him with his left hand so it's very much a straight red.

no excuse like "he ran into him", "it was an accident" or "he didn't mean it".

Sending off for not hearing the whistle? Nah.

Great goal by Messi. Stupid stupid play by Fabregas.

we agree on both of these.

(though i still stand by my earlier statement second about a delayed sending off)

Giving a yellow card for shooting after the whistle for offside is a very silly thing for a ref to do IMO, particularly with so little time between the whistle and the offence.

But I reckon he did hear the whistle. It didn't look like a proper shot to me, just a wild swipe of annoyance.

I disagree. To me, it looked like he was entirely focused on taking that shot. I didn't see his eyes leave the ball. Anyway, it is what it is.

to me it looked as van persie didn't hear the whistle before taking that shot.

it WAS a crappy booking (especially for a second yellow card) but i guess ref's just been waiting for an opportunity to send him off, after failing to do so when he should've in the first place.

I think Slick is right, having seen the video. The shot's around 4-5 seconds on that clip: van Persie's body language doesn't leave much doubt in my mind. He's not really bothered about whether the shot goes in or not: he's clearly heard the whistle. So technically, the ref was right. It's a yellow card and therefore a sending-off. Realistically, though, 95% of refs wouldn't give it. It's close enough to the whistle that most refs would ignore it, particularly when a player's on yellow already. Arsenal were unlucky to run up against that particular ref.

That said, I don't think that the result was unfair and I don't like to hear managers hiding behind a bad ref decision, particularly not when it was balanced by a stroke of luck in their favour (the Busquets o.g.). Barca deserved the win, on balance: they were by far the better team even before the sending-off. So it's not an injustice, for me.

What indicates that he knew the whistle had gone, is how non-disappointed he is with missing the goal by a mile when it's their first chance in a game of such magnitude. You'd expect some hands on head, sinking-to-ones-knees kind of reaction if he thought he'd scuffed their one chance.

Still, absolutely ridiculous sending-off. And ref's don't get to do "delayed sending-offs". Can you show me that one in the rulebook?

No question that the better team won, though. Some of Barcas passing really is unreal.

Anyway, if I was playing Barca, I'd just be gunning for as many corners as possible and let their defence do the rest.

What indicates that he knew the whistle had gone, is how non-disappointed he is with missing the goal by a mile when it's their first chance in a game of such magnitude

Agreed, he had heard it. At the same time it is still a bullshit sending off.

That said, while Barca had trouble reaching the great heights that we have so often seen them achieve this year, they were still the better team. Arsenal brought nothing to the table yesterday, didn't play their own kind of game from teh start, leaning on the aggregate score advantage. Mind you I did have a feeling Arsenal might go through to the next round when in that second half Barca ( Messi, Alves and Messi) kept missing major chances and Arsenal only needed 1 goal. It almost happened with Bendtner.

Glad Barca made it though.

Still, absolutely ridiculous sending-off. And ref's don't get to do "delayed sending-offs". Can you show me that one in the rulebook?

there's no "intentionally slapping an opponent in the face is punished by a yellow card" in the rulebook either, and yet it happened last night.

refs try to compensate for their mistakes all the time. it's the worst thing to do because it means they are making even more mistakes, players get annoyed because of decisions that make no sense, everyone thinks the ref's against them and the chances of game getting out of ref's control increase dramaticaly. still, it happens more often than we'd like, it's not something i made up right now.

Spurs got battered but I kind of feel that this performance makes them look more of a threat in the next round, I really didn't think they had it in them to not concede while being on the back foot so much.

Battered? Really?

I thought Milan looked toothless throughout. The shot from Pato and Gomez fumbling were the only times they looked even half-threatening. This is a team that Wolves put four past a few days ago. Italian football is really down in the dumps.

Poor game. I was hoping for a rousing performance from Spurs. On one level, I can appreciate their game-plan and durability. It was hardly impressive, though. Their lack of appetite was worrying. I can't see them progressing any further in the competition, now.

Poor game. I was hoping for a rousing performance from Spurs. On one level, I can appreciate their game-plan and durability. It was hardly impressive, though. Their lack of appetite was worrying. I can't see them progressing any further in the competition, now.

Well, we won't if we get Barca. :P

Archived