UK Politics IX

Usotsuki

I'd be amazed if there isn't worse to come. If they were willing to do this where would they draw the line?

There is a lot more to come (now I want to write 'as the actress said to the Bishop' but moving swiftly on) - there must be simply from the number of names and telephone numbers in the hundreds that the police found at Mulcare's address and it's hard to believe that he was the only person in the UK doing that kind of 'work'.

He may have to. I'm interpreting Brooks' reluctance to step down as a tactic to ensure that she soaks up as much of the blame as possible, rather than a serious effort to hang on.

I'd be surprised if she has to go seeing as so far they have got away with the blood offering of one or two lowly reporters, the sacrifice of a couple more reporters and maybe a sub-editor plus some judicious cash settlements would be enough I would have thought. Obviously if the chairman of the board were to come out and declare his full support for her then I suppose in true football fashion she'll be packing her bags.

I don't know that the NotW phone hacking thing is as much politics as it is, I dunno, blatant criminal malfeasance.

Politics usually involves much more subtle criminal malfeasance.

It's all a bit political because Brooks is a 'friend' of the Prime Minister, also the Hulture Secretary has just agreed to News Corp taking over the remnants of Sky TV against some discontent and opposition and then finally several politicians and public figures have been calling for the Metropolitan police to investigate these allegations for some time so there are potentially a bunch of political ramifications as well as any criminal matters involved.

Also the implications of a possible Met Police cover up are quite serious. Rumour has it they're so terrified of losing the soft coverage they get from the Murdoch press, they've already quietly shelved past investigations into this affair.

Any chance that Brooks will get publicly flogged and then hung?

Cos, as anti-death penalty as I am, I'd actually go and watch that

I've been waiting the best part of a decade for that evil witch to get her comeuppance

I've been waiting the best part of a decade for that evil witch to get her comeuppance

Might have to hang onto that rope a little longer. News International are fighting back. They are now shovelling shit on Andy Coulson with the not so new revelation that he was responsible for paying the police for stories (though Rebekan Brooks was quite blatant about it )and Robert Peston is bleating that this all comes back Cameron. Murdoch has obviously been stirred in his Bond Lair from world domination to frightening the little people.

How about we make her live in Middlesbrough for a year, but not allow her to use any of the facilities related to the University or even anything located on the campus (That's several pubs and a couple of roads :P)!

Might have to hang onto that rope a little longer. News International are fighting back. They are now shovelling shit on Andy Coulson with the not so new revelation that he was responsible for paying the police for stories (though Rebekan Brooks was quite blatant about it )and Robert Peston is bleating that this all comes back Cameron. Murdoch has obviously been stirred in his Bond Lair from world domination to frightening the little people.

That could backfire if Coulson ends up getting nicked. He might loyally take the flak for his dark master Murdoch, but for Rebekah Brooks? No way. Didn't she used to work for him?

That could backfire if Coulson ends up getting nicked. He might loyally take the flak for his dark master Murdoch, but for Rebekah Brooks? No way. Didn't she used to work for him?

If Coulson starts bucking, surely Brooks would just go all Brianna Barksdale on him:

'Andy, if you ain't got your peoples, what you got?'

I doubt very much will come of it. No prison time, no real decrease in the amount of NoTW's sold. I guess the people that read it are more interested in boobs, an which footballer has got caught humping the neighbours dog.

Maybe some companies pulling their ads, may mean that the wannbe glamour models, sleeping their way through the England team. Will have to do with 20K for their story instead of 50k.

Same old, same old.

The equivalent of the dog ate my homework:

NI is planning to relieve the pressure on its chief executive, Rebekah Brooks, by claiming she was on holiday when a mobile phone belonging to Milly Dowler was hacked into in 2002 by the News of the World, the paper she edited at the time.

The Guardian understands that the company has established that Brooks, News of the World editor from May 2000 until January 2003, was on holiday in Italy when the paper ran a story which referred to a message that had been left on the teenager's phone. The article, which was about a message left by an employment agency on the murdered schoolgirl's mobile, was published on 14 April 2002.

News International also believes Brooks was away in the two weeks following the murder of Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman in Soham. It is thought that mobile phones belonging to the parents of the two girls were targeted in the days following their death.

How very convenient that when a sensitive phone was hacked 'she was away'. If she was away for all the times a phone was hacked she wouldn't have been at the office very much!

How very convenient that when a sensitive phone was hacked 'she was away'. If she was away for all the times a phone was hacked she wouldn't have been at the office very much!

Well at least we don't have to worry that Ms Brooks' holiday allowance is too small as she seems to be away an awful lot.

I expect Brooks had great fun at one of Berlusconi bunga bunga parties as she likes being cosy with OAP media moguls.

I am sure she really needed the consolation there after the unfortunate explosion of her mobile at the Italian border...

But never fear for with sagacity the Holy Patriarch of the media world hath appointed Rebekah Brooks to lead the internal investigation into phone hacking at News International.

In the court of her own conscience she will appear before herself sitting as judge and jury - and who better than herself to thoroughly examine her role with courage and with unrivaled understanding and eventually to bravely say: yes I forbore and asked not whence came the juiciest of revelations, yes I demanded for publication the details that the public secretly lusted after and lo were the people not entertained? Was there not a great sale of newspapers and excitement over salacious gossip and lurid fascination in the in and outs and the saddest of sorrows yea in even the most affecting of murder cases?

Fearlessly she alone can acknowledge how well she has served her master and how well she has brought delight to the media consuming public. Fearlessly she alone can judge how little responsibility she bears for any potential breaches of the law and how guilty that temp worker from the postroom was - yes the one with a scraggy haircut and the papercuts on his fingers. Let us rejoice at how the press regulates itself and give thanks that we live in a free country!

Yes. Murdoch really is sticking two fingers up at us all with that appointment.

He clearly thinks that he controls enough public opinion that the politicians will not dare do other than dance to his tune and give him yet more of a grip on public opinion once the fuss has died down. The rest of us don't matter.

I would like to hope he is wrong, but my more cynical self suspects he is right. For example did anyone hear the Boris Johnson interview this morning? "The hacking is shocking and horrifying, but Rupert is a great guy who has done a lot for the UK."

Archived