Harrold Hardyng's love of life

Lady Winter Rose

Do we even know for sure that Littlefinger really arranged a marriage? Yes, he told Sansa he did, but I don't believe a damn thing he says without corrobarating evidence! Even then...

It's possible he didn't. But what does he have to gain from lying to Sansa? Sansa spends all of her days trapped in the Vale, it's not like being fed that false piece of information would actually advance the story anywhere.

It's possible he didn't. But what does he have to gain from lying to Sansa? Sansa spends all of her days trapped in the Vale, it's not like being fed that false piece of information would actually advance the story anywhere.

True, and I asked myself the same question. He might hope to gain her complacency. Although... what good does this marriage REALLY do LF is the question we really need to ask. He's never straight forward about anythign, so what is his motivation?

True, and I asked myself the same question. He might hope to gain her complacency. Although... what good does this marriage REALLY do LF is the question we really need to ask. He's never straight forward about anythign, so what is his motivation?

Well I'd imagine his motivation would be to cement the power he currently holds, and gain more. While somehow wooing Catelyn Sansa. By being the "father" of the Lady of the Vale he need not worry about his stint as Lord Protector coming to an end; he can still rule, as he believes Sansa will stay wrapped around his finger. I'm not sure how he plans to woo Sansa, but I'm sure this plan works towards that too.

I'd thought that AFfC was the book that was supposed to be geared around religion and that the coming book would now be centered on disease. Or at least that's how I understood things from my admittedly limited reading of these forums. Wouldn't a crusade-like story arc sort of run counter to that? Although I still have no good ideas myself how disease will be incorporated into ADwD as the unifying theme of the book.

Well, I assumed that the crusade storyline would take place later, largely in TWOW.

Where does the disease info come from?

With the coming winter we will certainly have famine and we have the Others as the White Walking Death, so no need for the Black Death...

Xtianization does not seem a plausible comparison to me. The Faith of the Seven is (now) comparably tolerant with respect to the Old Gods, Godswoods etc. And the latter seem to be modelled after old European Pagan religions. Rather Seven vs. R'hllor would be a conflict of two established religions like Christianity vs. Islam in Spain (or Islam vs. Hinduism in NW india)

The Sparrows and the new High Septon are obviously similar to some religious movements in high and late Middle Ages in Europe, condemning the luxuriousness of the Church. The new HS does seem fair to me, so far. I do not think he plans a trial for Margaery, that was just to lure Cersei.

Well I'd imagine his motivation would be to cement the power he currently holds, and gain more. While somehow wooing Catelyn Sansa. By being the "father" of the Lady of the Vale he need not worry about his stint as Lord Protector coming to an end; he can still rule, as he believes Sansa will stay wrapped around his finger. I'm not sure how he plans to woo Sansa, but I'm sure this plan works towards that too.

Yes, in which case I suppose LF will have to dispose of Harry - that was the only plan I could work out - which means it probably won't happen because George always surprises me.

• 6 months later...

Sansa is currently gaining first-hand experience of political strategy. From LF no less. I think that the marry-a-knight-and-have-many-kids dream has been beaten out of her. She would not trust anyone completely again, and would certainly be on the lookout for the next betrayal.

Will the High Septon annul Sansa's marriage to Tyrion. If I were a gambler I would bet on it. Besides the common knowledge that the marriage was not consummated, we have never received definitive proof that Tyrion's first wife is dead. From Littlefinger's statements to Sansa in ASOS it's clear that he knows of the marriage. Perhaps his original intention was for Tyrion to die, making his plans come to fruition more easily, but he's not the type to run around without a contingency plan. He is either going to produce Tysha from "wherever whores go" proving Tyrion can't be Sansa's true husband, or he is going to produce a fake Tysha (the guy is good at finding doppelgangers for people that have disappeared). I've heard some people posit that the Sailor's Wife from Braavos is really Tysha; Littlefinger has Braavosi connections through his grandfather, and probably also through his dealings with the Iron Bank as Master of Coin. If she's not the real deal she would be a perfect double.

• 6 months later...

I think LF's bastard daughter marrying Harry is a trade off for Robert's mysterious death, probably by taking too much of that sleeping drug they give him. I don't think they realize who Alayne is. And if we were to also remove Harry from the equation (after he's married to Sansa) that would leave Sansa in a very good position in the Vale and for making a claim in the North.

I always think Lady was counting Harrold would sleep with Alayne and he would refused to marry her because she is soiled. Hence, 14 years old girl need to seduce a experience guy.

• 1 month later...

I think the opposite is more likely (as in, she seduces him without having sex and somehow he dies of a "disease" soon after the wedding night).

She is pretty smart and lost her "naivety" and she will have LF by her side.

And... there are many guys attracted to her... LF, that singer, Joffrey, Sandor, Tyrion, Theon... And for most of them she was not even trying.

I don't see them killing off Harry. They need him. Littlefinger said as much. This is why they are not marrying her to Robert instead as originally planned by her aunt. Robert does not inspire confidence in his bannermen, but Harry is greatly loved in the Vale and they will all flock to his cause. If he mysteriously dies I think that will only cause trouble for Littlefinger.

Also on another note in response to a lot of the discussion here. Tyrion and Sansa's marriage is not going to be the big problem in Littlefinger's plans. Let's not forget that his WHOLE plan is based on the fact that Bran and Rickon are dead, therefore making Sansa the rightful heir to the North... trumping the Bolton's claim through 'Arya'. BUT as all of this is going on Manderly is scheming too and has Davos retreiving Rickon from Skaagos.

Archived