Earthquake off the coast of Japan

Commodore

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/world/massive-earthquake-rocks-japan-tsunami-warnings-issued_100512671.html#ixzz1GGivpLU4

TOKYO (BNO NEWS) — A massive earthquake struck off the coast of northeastern Japan on early Friday afternoon, seismologists said, prompting tsunami warnings for multiple countries.

The 7.9-magnitude earthquake at 2.46 p.m. local time (0546 GMT) was centered about 179 kilometers (111 miles) east of Sendai in Japan. It struck about 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA).

JMA issued a tsunami warning, saying a major tsunami could strike parts of the Pacific coast. A tsunami warning is also issued for Russia, the Marcus Islands and Northern Marianas. Meanwhile, tsunami watches have been issued for Guam, Wake Island, Taiwan, Yap, Philippines, Marshall Islands, Belau, Midway Island, Pohnpei, Chuuk, Kosrae, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Nauru, and Hawaii.

japanese tv stream

map

good twitter feed here, looks very bad

@REUTERSFLASH ReutersBreakingNews

Tsunami of 4 meters hits pacific coast of Japan

holy shit these pictures are awful

Latest says 8.4. Still one of the largest Earthquakes ever in Japan.

Fires at oil refinery, airport flooded by tsunami which is more than 2km (1 and a bit miles) from shore! Huge devastation. Tsumani was between 6 & 10 metres, and hits more than once.

Tsunami warnings for multiple countries.

Holy shit! The Pacific ring of fire has really been on fire the last couple of years: Chile, Samoa, New Zealand, and now Japan.

:grouphug: to the people of Japan.

mpoppel Michael van Poppel

TSUNAMI AWRNING FOR EL SALVADOR, COSTA RICA, NICARAGUA, HONDURAS, CHILE, EVUADOR, COLOMBIA

TSUANMI WARNING FOR MEXICO AND NEW ZEALAND

AUSTRALIA ALSO UNDER WARNING

TSUNAMI WARNING FOR HAWAII

MSNBC footage = AJ live stream (with different commentary)

Some of these images of the water... terrifying. Saw some people waving strips of cloth to the news helicopters... I wonder when they'll be able to get to these people.

MSNBC just said that the tsunami warning has been expanded to include the entire Pacific region, including (I assume, they weren't specific) the US coast.

ETA - What Commodore said.

Here's the travel time estimate map for the tsunami. I'm not in a tsunami hazard zone, but I know a bunch of people who are, including my advisor, who lives about 200 feet from the beach, so I hope the warning sirens are working. <_<

ETA: x-posted with Commodore. The damage on the Pacific coast is highly dependent on topography, coastal angle, and water depth near the coast. This town is particularly prone to tsunami hazards, moreso than any other city on the US west coast that I know of, because of the seafloor bathymetry mostly. From Wikipedia:

On March 27, 1964, the Good Friday Earthquake off Anchorage, Alaska, set in motion local landslide tsunamis, as well as a trans-Pacific one that sped in three hours down the U.S. West Coast to the state of Washington. Destroying docks, boats, cars, coastal dwellings and surging up rivers with the same result, the tsunami continued down the coast.

Within another 1½ hours, four waves struck over a two-hour period at Crescent City. When they had finished, 289 buildings and businesses had been destroyed; 1000 cars and 25 large fishing vessels crushed; 12 people were confirmed dead, over 100 were injured, and numbers were missing; 60 blocks had been inundated with 30 city blocks destroyed in total. Although most of the missing were later accounted for, not all were tracked down. Insurance adjusters estimated that the city received more damage from the tsunami on a block-by-block basis than did Anchorage from the initial earthquake.[5]

The tsunami raced down the U.S. West Coast with more deaths and destruction, but no location was hit as hard as this small town was. Crescent City bore the brunt, due to its offshore geology, position relative to the earthquake's strike-line, underwater contours such as the Cobb Seamount, and the position of rivers near the city. Although houses, buildings, and infrastructure were later rebuilt, years passed before the city recovered from the devastation to lives, property, and its economy.The city is deemed to be tsunami-ready today. Its preparedness was tested on June 14, 2005 when an earthquake measuring 7.0 on the Richter scale hit 90 miles (140 km) offshore. Reportedly, much of the city was evacuated in a matter of 20 minutes when a tsunami warning was issued, but no waves were reported.

On November 15, 2006, a magnitude 8.3 earthquake struck off Simushir Island in the Kuril Islands in the western Pacific. A tsunami warning was issued but rescinded hours later. However, a surge from that quake did hit the harbor at Crescent City causing damage to three docks and several boats. Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger declared a county state of emergency. Upon that declaration, the area affected was eligible for federal emergency relief funding to repair the damage.[6]

I'm guessing there won't be much damage to coastal areas here. The magnitude of the tsunami tends to dissipate by the time it reaches the other side of the Pacific, and if it was 4m in Japan, it'll be much less here.

Here's the travel time estimate map for the tsunami. I'm not in a tsunami hazard zone, but I know a bunch of people who are, including my advisor, who lives about 200 feet from the beach, so I hope the warning sirens are working. <_<

Man am I happy Vancouver Island is blocking this type of shit. Really sucks for the people living on the West end of Vancouver Island though. Fuck I hope these people are going to be okay.

Holy crap, those pictures are spinechilling...

Hope they come through this with a minimum of casualities. I don't know how many damage control measures has been employed since 2004, but the Japanese population probably has better protection than the Indonesians. Crossing fingers for them all.

Japanese PM just said that they don't believe any radioactive material has been leaked; apparently at least one nuclear power plant has been flooded.

MSNBC anchor thought he was talking about fires. Idiot.

(Not to say that there might not be fires in the power plants, but she is specifically referring to the danger of fires following earthquakes.)

ETA: Thank goodness the geologist from USGS that is on the phone knew what the PM was talking about. Anchor wanted to know her opinion vis-a-vis fires and radiation. Gah.

I have never before seen a building on fire while floating along a wave of water.

Gallows humor moment:

How the fuck do you report that to your insurance agent?

Yeah, my house is burned to a crisp, flooded, a mile off it's foundation with a fucking freighter on the roof!

Really have to hand it to the Japanese building codes. Watching the feeds, it's INSANE how much debris is being carried by the waves, not to mention the massive force of the water itself, and yet most buildings appear to be standing.

Scary thought: the tsunami is undoubtedly destroying anything glass that it encounters, which means that the waves are full of shattered glass.

Final note: this is apparently the fifth strongest earthquake recorded since 1900.

It should be interesting to compare the casualties of an earthquake this powerful, to the relatively weak one that hit Haiti, just in case the differences between the 1st and 3rd world needed to be emphasized.

Archived