Earthquake off the coast of Japan

Commodore

All the best wishes to all the victims in Japan. Also heard the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant is on fire and there's considerable danger involved since the Japanese authorities have sent a report to IAEA.

I'd just like to shed light on a different side of the disaster; comparing this to the earthquake in 1995, this will probably cost Japan some 150 billion dollars at least.

One of my friends has checked in on FB:

Just had a Jack Bower experience! Huge earthquake, explosions from a nearby gas factory and a huge fire! But i'm ok. Just like Jack...

The other one that I'd expect to hear from is still MIA, but in the circumstances I can't believe there's much internet access in the city.

The Sendai oil refinery has exploded, which doesn't surprise me as it is right by the docks. 88,000 people reported missing, and aftershocks measuring up to 5.8, which is a pretty fucking big quake in itself.

:(

The only good thing I have to think of right now is how well it appears much of Japan's infrastructure was designed and built.

There isn't much that can be done about tsunami's though. The devastation caused to the farms and fishing boats... Like others, I hope that the death toll is low relative to the size of this catastrophe. :worried:

Seriously about the internet access. The phone lines are down but the net connection is reliable, well, said my friend when I talked to her via webcam 6 hrs ago. She said email is the best way to contact your friends and relatives.

Just got the warning message from the county. The only consequences expected in this county are dangerous currents near the shores. My own little niche of the Bay is likely even less at risk - the part across the street from me is part of a yacht harbor whose entrance faces at an angle very different from the entry point at the Golden Gate.

Some of the ocean-facing beaches are likely to be a bit dangerous.

It's a 10m wave hitting a city of a million people. I'm guessing the only reason the reported death toll is still so low is the fact that it's the middle of the night there. This is nightmare stuff.

What awful news. I hope the damage will stop escalating and that the worst has already passed.

The livestream news stating that there are now 300 dead, over 500 reported missing.

Archived