Unpopular Opinions

I don't hate any of the main characters. Their actions and choices, sure.

I don't dread reading any of the POVs. I was horrified by the idea that some people skip some chapters.

I agree with the latter statement here. While there is nary a Jon or Arya chapter I liked, I could never skip their chapters. Or anyone. Sure, some are outright bad, but I feel like I'd be missing so much of the story if I ignored even one of their chapters.

I've always liked Sansa, and have seen her as very sympathetic.

I hate Daenaerys. She is a stock character, IMO. She is simply too perfect. In the beginning, she was okay, but starting in ACoK, the whole "chosen one" and "destiny" on her side annoyed me (there's enough of that in fantasy, no need to clutter this wonderful series with it too.). I hope she does not win the Iron Throne, or if she does, it is a shortlived victory. I also hope she is barren, but seeing how she's been set up, I doubt it. Did I mention that I hate her name, "Mother of Dragons"? It conveys the idea that she is a goddess or some deity on earth, an idea which I detest because it's far too religious for me.

I dislike all the Ironborn (not sure if this is unpopular in general or not), especially Asha. Theon is okay because, based on the preview, he's actually going to become quite an interesting figure in ADwD.

I like Catelyn, and her chapters. She is quite a realistic character.

I'm not a fan of Arya. Sure she is sympathetic, but I don't like how part of her initial attractiveness to readers is that she is a tomboy. I have no problem with women in powerful positions or such, but she is just too modern, for the world of Westeros.

Stannis would have been a better king than either of his brothers, and the other contenders in the Wot5K.

I hope Jon is Ned's bastard, not the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna.

Relating to the above, I prefer Rhaegar and Elia over him and Lyanna. Lyanna was only sixteen years old. What was he thinking?

I want Ned to have loved both Catelyn and Ashara Dayne.

I hope the Tyrells win, or at least don't lose all. I still want to see what Willas is really like. And Olenna, Margaery, and Garlan are just awesome.

I enjoy Bran's chapters, and Davos'. They contain lots of information about either myth or the goings on in Westeros from the point of view of one not nobly(?) born(but noble in every other way).

i am with you on that one. At first Sansa was the PoV i hated the most followed up by Bran, i still think Bran is boring but i love Sasas PoVs now.

I hated Sansa because I hated her personally, then i felt really sorry for her with her being engaged to Joffrey. Bran was pretty boring in Winterfell with the exception of his first chapter and the couple chapters after Ned's death. after he met the Reeds he became interesting to me. even though i don't like jojin.

Bronn sucks. Amazing the things aSoIaF fans will overlook once you give a character a sword and a dark sense of humor.

Tyrion is (and has always been - well at least since age 13) a bloodthirsty vengeful little demon just as Cersei thinks he is. I fear for Daenerys - with friends like Tyrion...

I think Stannis should be king, and generally think he is awesome.

I like Victarion Greyjoy (I think his situation is completely FUBAR however).

I HAVE NO PROBLEM with Sam's "fat pink mast" scene - it's consensual, and actually quite sweet! Seriously people, fat folks deserve physical contact, too, not just hot twins and silvertounged dwarves.

Hound + Sansa squidges me out a lot, BUT YET Littlefinger + Sansa INTRIGUES me (I still think he's an evil bastard who deserves to die of course).

-I like the Bran chapters.

-I liked the Brienne chapters.

-I want Jon to kick everyone's ass.

-I want the Stark kids to reunite and live happily ever after.

-I want Dany to live.

-I like all the Krakens.

-I wasn't happy when Catelyn died.

-I hate the Dorne and Sam POVs.

-I don't like Tywin Lannister.

-I like the Bran chapters.

-I want Jon to kick everyone's ass.

-I want the Stark kids to reunite and live happily ever after.

-I wasn't happy when Catelyn died.

-I hate the Dorne and Sam POVs.

Are these unpopular? If so, I hold the same unpopular opinions, but I figured most of these, especially those about the Starks were popular. And I know people hate Catelyn, but I didn't think the majority of people wanted her to die.

Sansa is my favourite character by far. I really like her

I kind of admire Roose Bolton

I don't really care about the "action chapters" that much. I like mostly the ones with intrigue.

I like Catelyn and I think she is not really dumb. She made some terrible mistakes, but she also gave really good advice to Robb, many times.

I like Edmure

I think Daenerys would be a terrible ruler

I just KNOW that Bran is going to perma-warg Hodor before this is done. Either Hodor ends up brain dead or Bran's body dies. Either way, THAT is how Bran will become a knight and re-take Winterfell!

I like the idea of SanSan but with the stipulation that fully-trained Arya should kill Sandor afterwards, while she checks off the list of her prayer names. Arya ruins EVERYTHING of Sansa's, after all.

I have no problem with Dany's progressively increasing power or her quick progression to an entitled attitude. It reads very naturally to me.

I think Jon will break his vows (for the hundredth time) OR they will become obsolete. The NW is down to 300 men and rapidly decreasing, and the Wall could conceivably be brought down by the Horn

My general Catelyn hate.

I hate Catelyn as well. From her treatment of Jon to her all too high opinion of herself, I really just can't stand her.

I think Tyrion is being groomed to be the next big villain. Consider how everybody's character changes over time.

Tyrion will finally lose his sense of sarcasm and become the man we love to hate. He will turn grumpy and vicious.

After Sansa learns politics from Littlefinger, she will be as dangerous as the Queen of Thorns.

Jon is Robert's bastard.

I liked Jon Snow's chapters as well. And I hope he is Ned's child.

And while I dislike the Breanne PoV, though thought of skipping a chapter makes me faint. People really do that?

It appears that I am actually on the wrong side of Asha as well, I loved her and openly root for her to do well.

I like Dany. Though it appears the opinion is 50/50 on her, so guess thats not unpopular.

And I liked the Onion Knight chapters. Damn it, i like a good guy intermixed in my GRIMDARK books sometimes.

I was surprised when I first visited the boards how much hatred there was for Catelyn, a lot of which I think is poorly justified. She's one of my favorite characters because I think she rang very true and was realistically written. Of course she made some awful mistakes and said an awful thing to Jon in the midst of her own grief, but that only made her seem more human and real to me, and I found her to be a very sympathetic character.

Davos doesn't seem to be one of the more popular characters, but I really adored him and looked forward to his chapters, and not just because of the awesome Stannis/Melisandre storyline. I love the whole story about how he became the Onion Knight, and I enjoy the contrast between him in and Melisandre. I can easily picture Melisandre as the devil whispering to Stannis in one ear and Davos the angel whispering to Stannis in the other. I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens to him in the North and hope he escapes death as in AFFC the Lannisters get word that he was executed.

I like Catelyn, Sansa, Barristan Selmy, Jorah Mormont and Aeron Damphair. I think Ned and Cat did the best they could for their family.

I'm all for SanSan, if cleverly done.

R+L=J is not indispensable for my emotional balance.

I'm sympathetically indifferent to fan favourites such as Davos, Stannis, Dany, Jon.

I'm indifferent to Littlefinger (well-depicted character, but he doesn't move me) and Bran.

I could not care less about the Others.

I like Arya and Tyrion and Asha, but they are not too unpopular after all.

I'm for the survival of all remaining direwolves.

I try not to dislike Melisandre too much, for the sake of her fans. I hope things will get better when she'll finally reveal what she's about and drop the mysterious pretensions. Same for Euron Crow's Eye.

I love the Blackfish, who seems to be getting unpopular enough for a mention. :D

EDITED to add some Greyjoy love.

♦ If I had the power to bring one character back to life, it would be Tywin; he's one of my favorite characters;

♦ I think Bran should have died when he fell from that tower;

♦ The Lannisters are my favorite family;

♦ The Tyrells are my second favorite family;

♦ I really don't get why Sandor Clegane is so popular; I never cared for him enough to love or hate him; oh, and I hope he's dead;

♦ I hate the Red Wedding... but think that it was the right decision;

♦ I hope the Greyjoys die... all of them; actually, if Drogon decides to burn everyone on the Iron Islands alive in the next book, he'll be my favorite character ever;

♦ I hope Jon leaves the Wall and becomes king, because I really hate the idea of someone who hasn't been a PoV from the beginning of the series winning the Iron Throne; if I have to choose between Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Sansa or Arya... Then it's either Jon or Sansa; maybe even Dany; Tyrion, Arya or any other character (especially Stanis)... no, just no;

♦ I don't hate or despise the Darkstar; actually, I hardly noticed the guy until I came on this board;

:P The last 4 posts seem to be full of opinions shared by a solid chunk of the fanbase... For example, neither hating Catelyn or loving Catelyn is an unpopular opinion.

Now, Moonboy being your favorite character would be something. :) Or, saying that you think Arya is truly evil and will join The Others. Lets' get creative here!

Jorah is the only right match for Dany. Jorah is also a wonderful character.

Jorah is scum

Sansa is my favourite character by far. I really like her

Definitely my favourite female character in the series. After four books of crushed dreams, captivity, being tricked, teased, and beaten, Sansa is finally in a position where she is starting to get the game and understand how to play. I believe that Sansa will learn all she can from Little Finger before killing him and then become a major player in her own right. A lot of readers of this series seam to dislike Sansa because of all the mistakes she has made, her foolish behaviour etc. I think that her behaviour has been pretty realistic and has made her an extremely sympathetic character. I much prefer her story arch to Arya’s by about a million times.

Archived