Board etiquette shift?

Balefont

My primarily board etiquette complaint is the switch to horrenodus smileys which is very much hampering the discourse of this place. 80% of board communication is conveyed through smileys, so I'm not sure why we switched to a cheaper, lower grade variety. Further we're taunted by still having access to some of the old smileys, but intermingling with the new thicker, fathead smileys which are all awful.

For example, the tongue smiley used to precisely convey "Hey, just kidding". Now it looks like he suffered a stroke.

As far as MOD-ship goes, I'm kinda surprised anyone wants the job. Seems suspiciously like work to me.

Mod-ship is like politics. Anyone who wants the job is summarily unfit for the job because they're just in it for the power-grab. We need some random unsuspecting schmo who we impress upon the duties of mod-ship.

I nominate Naz to cover that crucial gap between when our Djiboutian Mods go to bed but before our Australian mods awaken.

Before getting crazy and appointing new mods. Please eat some bacon, drink some bacon flavored vodka, and then brush your teeth with Bacon flavored toothpaste... then discuss on after you complete the trifecta.

As was so nobly pointed out by XKCD though, don't brush your teeth with the vodka, at least not without understanding the consequences of gingivitis.

Why thank you, Ran. I will gladly accept Banhammer responsibility.

Coco's looking more and more qualified by the minute. He's even got the requisite bread helmet and everything...

Nas the Donkey would be great. I'd just be worried the job would sour him. :(

That guy? Oh God no.

Last thing we need is a self-declared ass as a mod. I meant Nazfyratu.

I haven't noticed a change in people's behavior. but i've only been here a year and a half and have been an obnoxious ar$ehole from the get go! though i have probably mellowed over time, and hopefully everyone does that as they get a feel for the board and adapt accordingly.

Coco's looking more and more qualified by the minute. He's even got the requisite bread helmet and everything...

That guy? Oh God no.

Last thing we need is a self-declared ass a mod. I meant Nazfyratu.

I knew who you meant, shitbird. :P (And yes, I intentionally used that emoticon just to further piss you off.)

Yeah, that one could work, too.

I knew who you meant, shitbird. :P (And yes, I intentionally used that emoticon just to further piss you off.)

That smiley looks like the expression I see dogs make right before they're about to fart.

It wasn't that part I failed to understand, but rather that the "undesirebles" be sent to tttne.

Not to defend Jacen, because it amuses me to see him be grilled. :laugh:

But, he's referring to a period a couple years ago when people who frequent chat (myself included) got into the habit of creating or bumping (mostly) stupid threads which the Moderators would then often move to the Forum Games section of the board. That's what I think he means when he talks about things being relegated to Forum Games or TTNE in a negative way.

But it is a good example that there are definitely still board cliques. You've got TTNE, Chat, the 'been around longer than God' folks, and some vague conglomerate of various euros that I haven't quite worked out yet. :uhoh:

Guest Raids

That's because you like to be contrary. <_<

Untrue, actually. I actually wholly dislike argument just for the sake of it without any substance. But I also like honesty. When I say I think you have the wrong idea about so-called mental illnesses, I'm not saying that because I like to disagree with you. I'm saying that because I think you have a poor understanding of bipolar disorder.

For sure, there is an inherent tension, but not having to tiptoe around what I think about some things for the sake of feelings is one thing that I do like about the Board, but there's a difference between me telling you that I don't think you understand bipolar disorder, or someone trying to point out a possible hard truth in an advice thread, and someone telling someone that they are a bacon-hating stupid head.

I'd probably guess that that's a distinction you agree with.

For instance, I rarely participate in the U.S. Politics thread because of the vibe there that you commented on, although I have given up on calling for its annihilation.

But now that I've mentioned it, might be something to rethink - it's not the best thing really...n00bs show up, read that thread, and then think it's okay to take that tone everywhere else on the Board. I haven't seen any evidence of that, but it's a theory.

That smiley looks like the expression I see dogs make right before they're about to fart.
So it's reasonable and accurate then? Cause the smiley face for tongue sticking out is basically 'fart in your general direction'.

But, he's referring to a period a couple years ago when people who frequent chat (myself included) got into the habit of creating or bumping (mostly) stupid threads which the Moderators would then often move to the Forum Games section of the board. That's what I think he means when he talks about things being relegated to Forum Games or TTNE in a negative way.
Actually he's likely referring to the creation of forum games so the rest of the forums didn't get shit on all the time with random stupid crap.

But it is a good example that there are definitely still board cliques. You've got TTNE, Chat, the 'been around longer than God' folks, and some vague conglomerate of various euros that I haven't quite worked out yet. :uhoh:

Its not a clique. Its a way of life.

For example, the tongue smiley used to precisely convey "Hey, just kidding". Now it looks like he suffered a stroke.

The joke is on you.

The actor who lent his face for the smiley did suffer a stroke. We just couldn't hire a new actor for the stick-tongue-out emoticon because of recent economic downturns. So the dear old chap soldier on and did his best for us after his stroke.

So there.

I hope you feel just awful now, you ingrate.

Actually he's likely referring to the creation of forum games so the rest of the forums didn't get shit on all the time with random stupid crap.

Well, yes, basically. But there was a specific time when several people in chat would sit around and think up ridiculous thread ideas, which we would then create, and that thread would usually get sent to Forum Games. And if it wasn't thinking up our own absurd threads it was by bumping normal Frosty threads or otherwise encouraging him by engaging in his discussions of strippers and melted butter, or whatever else that guy happened to be going on about at the time. Anyway, it definitely became a theme in chat specifically that Forum Games was where threads went to die. I don't think its meant to be an insult to those who do post there, just an observation that your thread won't get General Chatter level traffic in Forum Games.

So it's reasonable and accurate then? Cause the smiley face for tongue sticking out is basically 'fart in your general direction'.

So it is the dog-about-to-fart smiley? Noted.

The joke is on you.

The actor who lent his face for the smiley did suffer a stroke. We just couldn't hire a new actor for the stick-tongue-out emoticon because of recent economic downturns. So the dear old chap soldier on and did his best for us after his stroke.

So there.

I hope you feel just awful now, you ingrate.

:rofl:

The greatest power a mod can wield is the power to shame. Hope the n00b mods are taking note.

Archived