Game of Thrones/Borgias Throwdown

Brude

I agree with people finding it boring (it is absolutely personal, I myself for example loved watching both "Boardwalk Empire" and "The Sopranos", yet still found them boring) but I don't think it was slow: (SPOILERS) Rodrigo's Pope by the 20th minute and there is already a dead body in his wake by the 50th.

Maybe not slow... boring then?

i had the same thought while watching both the borgias & boardwalk empire.

A beautiful, empty box. Perfect, elegant wrapping, but nothing inside.

Well, i changed my mind about BE by the end of the first episode, but this time when i watched the borgias, i just couldn't like it. A quality show. Great cast. Cool costumes. And then what?

i didn't feel any emoctions, if this does make sense. i wasn't "taken".

Shameless, the show that aired on showtime until last sunday, had an almost unexperienced cast, and was set in chicago. I liked it far better.

Whats with all the Borgias hate? Are you guys really judging it by the first episode? If The Wire was judged purely by the first episode, no one would ever watch it.

It wasnt the best, nor the worst pilot. It did its job well and I am looking forward to the later episodes. That assassin guy is a baller (reminds me of Bronn).

i really enjoyed The Borgias premier, i watched one season of The Tudors and still can't be bothered to see the rest but this is way better. The cast is great especially Cezare and the sets and costumes are also very rich and intresting.

So far The Borgias is miles ahead of Camelot and if GoT is as good as this (it's probably better) then i am one very happy fan.

Whats with all the Borgias hate? Are you guys really judging it by the first episode? If The Wire was judged purely by the first episode, no one would ever watch it.

It wasnt the best, nor the worst pilot. It did its job well and I am looking forward to the later episodes. That assassin guy is a baller (reminds me of Bronn).

I'm gunna guess that it's due to ASoIaF fans perceiving The Borgias to be the competition. It's actually made me a little sad, as some of the people here are starting to sound dangerously like the rabid fans of a certain other fantasy author who had his books made into a TV show.

I'm gunna guess that it's due to ASoIaF fans perceiving The Borgias to be the competition.

Might be true to a degree. But then again, people are free not to like it also. :) Even Bronn didn't rave about it. Not that many people have posted reviews here.

i really enjoyed The Borgias premier, i watched one season of The Tudors and still can't be bothered to see the rest but this is way better. The cast is great especially Cezare and the sets and costumes are also very rich and intresting.

Season 1 of The Tudors is by far its worst. I would give it another chance with Season 2 if I were you. I would never call it a great show, but it became a pretty darn good show. I was not pleased with Season 1 either but the writing in Season 2 is much, MUCH better, and this pulls along the acting as well. Natalie Dormer (Anne Boleyn) went from being one of my least favorite actors on the show to being probably my favorite in Season 2. She's amazing in it.

Season 1 is always important. I tried watching The Wire, but I couldn't even get through episode 1. And I already had enough good shows to follow so catching up to 5 seasons (hopefully some good stuff coming later on) was just too much to ask. Perhaps if I gave it a chance as it was airing I may have seen it through. Same with other TV series. Shows with relatively small budgets can afford that now, but not expensive ones.

Camelot does not improve with episode 2. Merlin's character is now getting ridiculous. It's visually good, but many mistakes were made, many wrong decisions. BBC's Merlin is more enjoyable - it's cheesy and far worse looking, but at least it didn't have much pretense so expectations were kinda spot on for me. So, it will not come close to the other two shows, I'd exchange a whole Camelot season for a GoT episode any time.

The Borgias, I already wrote about it, but Bronn is right. Not the best pilot and not the worst. I'll be watching the show. But still it doesn't excite me, it's not like I'm eager to get episode 2, then 3, and so on. Few shows have that effect on me, so stating it's not going to be one of my very favorites is not negative opinion.

Season 1 of The Tudors is by far its worst. I would give it another chance with Season 2 if I were you. I would never call it a great show, but it became a pretty darn good show. I was not pleased with Season 1 either but the writing in Season 2 is much, MUCH better, and this pulls along the acting as well. Natalie Dormer (Anne Boleyn) went from being one of my least favorite actors on the show to being probably my favorite in Season 2. She's amazing in it.

True, "The Tudors" started out pretty bad but got better as it went on. It became much more mature and compelling, the nudity used as a hook for viewers was reduced and later seasons focused more on political/religious intrigue. The irony is that, while most critics agree that "The Borgias" look like something that is better than "The Tudors" quality-wise, they still believe it needs to get more dirty and raunchy in order to be entertaining.

I'm gunna guess that it's due to ASoIaF fans perceiving The Borgias to be the competition. It's actually made me a little sad, as some of the people here are starting to sound dangerously like the rabid fans of a certain other fantasy author who had his books made into a TV show.

Since i knew the borgias is airing at 10 pm (it's today only at 9 pm) i became really relaxed, and i don't see the borgias' success as a "threat" for GoT

the problem is, i don't like it. I'll be watching it, but i don't think it's the masterpiece everyone is talking about.

Archived