Number of spectators. Important factor

julandro

I am reading in some websites, that "A Game of Thrones"must have more viewers than Boardwalk Empire and then give the green light to the second season.

My question is this. How many viewers must have "Game of Thrones" and then make the second season? "8 million viewers?

No. Game of Thrones is nowhere near as expensive as Boardwalk Empire and probably doesn't need as many viewers to get a green light for a second season. It probably does, however, need more viewers than say Treme.

Given that i never heard of Treme, i take it that having as many viewers as that show won't be a hard task? I mean, even if you discount people who have never read the books or heard of the show tunning in to watch like they would any other HBO show, the number of viewers AGOT will get from fans of the book should be huge in the first place.

Despite the massive pilot cost of BE ($18 million is the number most bandied about now), HBO has gone on record that amortized across the season the show would average $5 milion an episode (so about $60 million for 12 episodes) compared to the speculated average of $4.5 million an episode/$45 million season (10 episodes) for GoT.

Despite the massive pilot cost of BE ($18 million is the number most bandied about now), HBO has gone on record that amortized across the season the show would average $5 milion an episode (so about $60 million for 12 episodes) compared to the speculated average of $4.5 million an episode/$45 million season (10 episodes) for GoT.

Boardwalk empire was far more expensive (1st epidsode only $26 million)

About the number of spectators.... true blood (HBO's greatest hit) has an average of 4 million of spectators, and this is considered a huge success. IMHO 3 million would be enough.

of course, the number of spectators is not as important as the rating (the percent value of viewers reported to the value of viewers of age 18-49)... i'd be happy with 1.5

If GoT gets a season two, that season is likely to be cheaper due to reuse of sets, models, etc, right? We also lose some main characters but we add some more so that's hard to figure out.

I would guess that the BE pilot cost a lot partially due to start-up costs that weren't present thereafter, similarly GoT should benefit if renewed as well.

Whatever,

Again, HBO executives have indicated BE averaged out to $5 million an episode. They also seem to be the source of the $18m figure for the pilot. If you have better sources, I'd be interested in a link.

Abaddon,

Indeed. A major part of the cost was the massive boardwalk set that they built, with a number of buildings as well.

Whatever,

Again, HBO executives have indicated BE averaged out to $5 million an episode. They also seem to be the source of the $18m figure for the pilot. If you have better sources, I'd be interested in a link.

Abaddon,

Indeed. A major part of the cost was the massive boardwalk set that they built, with a number of buildings as well.

Actually, i get the number 26 million averaging the most official results i've found (21 million, 32 million and "between 18 and 36"). Of course, i can be wrong :D

I think it can't be lower than $ 20 million (have you watched BE?) but i can easily believe the other episodes were much cheaper, since the set it's the same.

So, if you consider that there are 11 episodes costed $5mln each + 1 pilot, we can say BE costed between $73 million and $79 million, depending on the cost of the pilot. GOT costed $45 million.

BE had an average rating of 1.3/3.0 and about 4mln of viewers.

IMHO, If GOT can make an 1.2/2.5 and something more than 3mln of viewres, it's okay

Let's hope so. please, please, please :cross finger:

Boardwalk empire was far more expensive (1st epidsode only $26 million)

About the number of spectators.... true blood (HBO's greatest hit) has an average of 4 million of spectators, and this is considered a huge success. IMHO 3 million would be enough.

of course, the number of spectators is not as important as the rating (the percent value of viewers reported to the value of viewers of age 18-49)... i'd be happy with 1.5

How is the age range of viewers important to HBO? That makes sense for commercial TV because the 18-49 demographic are the people that actually spend their money on stuff, rather than either hoard it (older folks) or don't make enough to matter (kids). HBO is subscriber based, so anyone who is flipping on their TV to watch is equal to them because they are all paying their $15/mo. or whatever.

I suspect, knowing "mainstream" America's relative apprehension about swords&dragons-type stories, that it will take two episodes of GoT before it spreads like wildfire :drunk: in popularity, and those who were unaware of the books really get into it.

But if it doesn't make it to season 2, I will be shocked (and heartbroken).

Whatever,

No, the average of all 12 episodes is $5 million an episode once you amortize across the first season. Or, to put it in other words, $18 million first episode followed by 11 episodes costing $42 million ($3.8 million per episode average).

Does anyone know if HBO has increased its membership numbers to see the chain Is there any way to know if "Game of Thrones" called to other subscribers?

I have understood that buying a package of HBO is very expensive. I can not believe that "Game of Thrones" makes people hire a pay channel.

Is that the series is already a success ahead right? The purchase of their rights in other countries is impressive. The expectation that the series is sovereign in many web pages is also very significant.

In Spain, Canal + has paid 10 million Euros for the rights of the series.

I have understood that buying a package of HBO is very expensive. I can not believe that "Game of Thrones" makes people hire a pay channel.

HBO is generally up to about $16/month (~11 Euros), and I guess it is relative, but a person might skip a cafe lunch and pay for a month's worth...

ETA: As to getting HBO solely for GoT, I suppose at $4 per episode, that would be expensive, but HBO offers substantially more with subscription

Where is that figure from, this 10 million euro one? Are you sure that's the deal for just GoT, or does it cover other shows?

Reading the news, I know several of the international deals were for all of HBO's programming, E10M seems steep, even for GoT.

Archived