How did you get into ASOIF

Whitebeard

Like the title says. For me, after i finished Tolkien i was looking for more fantasy to read, and found this site.

http://www.bestfantasybooks.com/best-fantasy-series.php

I started to read series the site recomended. I read a bunch of Raymond E Feist stuff, and the WOT series, as well as His Dark Materials. Then i had noticed that he had rated ASOIF as the number one recommendation, so i took it up and been in love ever since.

Walking through the Atlanta airport. Needed a book to read. Read the Jordan quote on the cover of the A Game of Thrones paperback. Was in love by the time my plane landed. Bought A Clash of Kings the morning it came out in hardcover a few months later, which is the first time I'd ever done that. Found the Westeros EZBoard not long after that. After that was a lot of waiting while getting to know some wonderful people here.

A really pretty girl at the bookstore recommended it. I didn't get her number, but I got the book.

haha probably a good exchange ;).

anyway i got it when i was going through a really ancient book store and i grabbed the biggest book, seeing as how cheap it was just thought i should buy it (£0.30). anyway it has been my favourite series since (one of the few books that i go to bed dreaming about).

1997 - I had a habit of reading the back covers of recent fantasy releases at the bookstore and figuring out what cookie cutter plot they fell under. I was drawn to AGoT, which had just been released in paperback. I kept picking it up and looking at it over again. I couldn't easily dismiss it, so i had to give it a shot. Shortly thereafter my obsession was ignited.

The next time I went to the bookstore, I found a stack of the first printing in the hardcover clearance books. Every visit afterwards, I bought as many copies as I could afford. I gave these to friends and family I thought would appreciate it. I hope they took care of them. :)

was at a book store buying some books i read about on the internet, some Jordan, Eddings and i think Brooks and the cashier litterally saw i was buying fantasy and ran and gave me the books. She told me it was the best thing she ever read and I had read some people talking about it on the internet so I bought it. Read it after a little while and that was that.

I was in a bookstore holding another book in a series that was supposed to have ended several books earlier. You know the one.

Then I noticed a book with an interesting-looking cover. I started to read about a battle in the night between a young knight and a pale opponent. I purchased AgoT, and AGoT only, so I could hurry home and finish the book.

I wait impatiently for each new book.

I have given a hardback copy of AGoTs to all my reading friends, and they are all fans, too.

I came to ASOIAF in an unusual way.

I bought AGOT about 8 or so years ago and read the first chapter. It didn't capture my attention, so I put it down. A year or so goes by and my wife, who likes fantasy too, was between books and looking for something to read. She found my copy of AGOT and read it, then bought and read ACOK, then bought ASOS....

At some point during ASOS (wink, wink), she flung the book down and proclaimed with disgust- "These are the most depressing books I've ever read....EVERYONE dies!!!!"

This emotion- negative though it may have been- got me to thinking that maybe I should give the series another go....and the rest is history and now ASOIAF occupies the number 1 place on my Fantasy list that Tolkien occupied for 30 years.

My wife never did resume ASOS or read AFFC, though she is looking forward to the HBO series.

It actually took me a couple of tries to get into this series. By the time I picked it up the first time my mother already had AFFC. I tried reading it, but I got bored after the first page and put it down for a year. Then, when there was word of the HBO series, my mother pretty much forced the book in my hand and told me to read it, or else. I've been addicted ever since. Thank you, mom, for your threats of pain and suffering.

The fantasy section of my humble library contained merely Tolkien and some Gaiman novels up until 16 months ago. I have just finished reading Stieg Larsson's trilogy and was aimlessly browsing the English section of a local bookstore, hoping to stumble on something worthwhile. After picking a few other books (The Road, The Brief History of the Dead and a new copy of The Joke), the title A Game of Thrones caught my attention and I randomly flipped until I found a chapter's beginning, which happened to be Ned's chapter which starts with the news of Dany being pregnant, and well... it was good enough to convince me to buy the book. A month later I had all 4 books neatly organized on my bookshelf, waiting for a second reading.

Summer of '99, bought the paperback AGoT with $1.95 of store credit at a used book store after a post-move book purge. Went back a few days later for the hardcover ACoK.

"These are the most depressing books I've ever read....EVERYONE dies!!!!"

Thats about my Mom's response verbatim. Whenever I mention the books, or upcoming HBO series to my Mom, I just refer to "those books where everyone dies".

In January I decided to read A Game of Thrones after reading a bunch of articles about HBO doing the series and watching a few teaser trailers. Three weeks later I finished the series and now I'm getting ready for my second read, but at a much slower pace than the first one.

Like usual, whenever i go to the mall, i browse through the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section in the local bookstore.

I always look at covers and read the titles and if they Pique my interest, i'll read the back cover :love: ........Can't remember the year but it seems a large number of years have passed since i first read AGOT :bang: ...patiently awaiting the continuation.

Years ago, while I was in early-to-mid puberty, I had a (older) friend who mentioned it to me. Actually, his opinion was surprisingly negative, he didn't like the naturalisticly realistic touches, the nobody-is-safe thing, the sex and the vulgar language. After we drifted apart, 5 or 6 years ago, I remember that I remembered about it, and, wondering why had such a bad opinion, found the books on the Internet, downloaded them and started reading. That was in late 2005 - early 2006. Since then, ASoIaF became my absolutely favorite series, I have purchased the books both in English and in my native language, I got the D&E graphic novellas, I have gotten two friends and my father into it, and right now I have launched my pre-ADWD reread.

In the summer of 09 I was looking for a new fantasy series to read. I was also looking forward to the PC game Dragon Age, and the writer's of the game talked about how Martin's world was a big inspiration. I bought GOT, and thought it was hard to get into at first, stuck with it. The series is so damn good, that I can no longer read any other books.

Recently, after a year of badgering and the HBO series coming out, my wife is finally reading GOT. And she LOVES it. I've never seen her read any book so fast; she's typically a crime drama/mystery person.

In 1998, I finished RJ's "The Path of Daggers" and was pretty disappointed in it. Up to that time, I was a huge WoT maniac. So I went online to post on it on an RJ forum and I happened to read a thread about ASoIaF and saw glowing praise of it. I picked it up and quickly turned into ASoIaF maniac.

Archived