April "Add HBO" Fools' Day

Sturn

I wonder how many (like myself) added HBO today in anticipation of Game of Thrones? Since I'm assuming I will be charged for the entire month of April, even if I don't add HBO until April 17th, I upped my programming today. I'm hoping starting today and through the next couple of weeks HBO will see a spike in subscribers, they will take note, and sign up Season 2.

I saw mention of a preview of the first 15 minutes of Episode 1 this Sunday 9 PM on HBO!!! I assume that means 9 PM EST. I had to set my DVR to record Sex & the City 2 to make sure I catch it. I may have to cleanse my DVR afterwards.

I think that means 9pm EST, right before Mildred Pierce.

I also think that most cable companies charge prorated fees, but HBO is certainly a great channel to have even a few weeks in advance. I also subscribed to HBO recently and let HBO know that it was because of Game of Thrones that I did.

Yes, 8pm EST*, 9pm EDT*, 8pm CDT, 6pm PDT (on the HBO East feed, not the HBO West one).... Or if you want to be more particular, 2100 GMT-4. (Had to correct it, since I got it wrong. It's BST -5, and BST is GMT +1, so I was off by an hour.)

When I looked on the online schedule, though, it was coming up as being between True Blood and Mildred Pierce. You might want to doublecheck your own TV schedule to make sure you record at the right time.

* I put in both because if you're in a place that's not using daylight savings, you're still EST, and it'll be on at 8, just like Central Daylight Time. Otherwise you're EDT, and it's 9pm.

I saw someone recommend that you get in touch with the Consumer Affairs Department to express your opinion -- in this case, it's a good one rather than a complaint, but it's still directed to them, I guess.

I mean, do tell your cable co too, in case they do pass it on, but also contact HBO.

I think it's a GREAT idea that everyone who subscribes for HBO does as Eefa says -- contact Consumer Affairs and also let the local cable provider know.

Really is there any way for HBO CA to connect the dots between a personal e-mail or phone call and an actual new subscriber through some local provider? I mean, couldn't we all just go send off a "I'm getting HBO because of AGoT" note, just to boost their perception?

Really is there any way for HBO CA to connect the dots between a personal e-mail or phone call and an actual new subscriber through some local provider? I mean, couldn't we all just go send off a "I'm getting HBO because of AGoT" note, just to boost their perception?

Uhm, yeah. I'm gonna go out on a limb and call that a bad idea.

9 PM EST is 8 PM CST where I am. That shows the main HBO channel playing Sex & City(not Mildred Pierce), with the Game of Thrones piece smack in the middle. Are HBO times relavent only to the local time? A.i. if an advertisement says, "9 PM" does it mean 9 PM wherever you are?

Sturn - it's not standard time most places, so be careful which abbreviation you use*. Go to hbo.com and check whatever channel you actually get. Mine's 8pm central daylight time, listed as between True Blood and Mildred Pierce. (TV Guide also shows HBOe as having True Blood starting at 7 central, though they don't show GoT and just have Mildred Pierce starting at 8.)

If you've verified everything on HBO's schedule, which I linked above, you should be fine with whatever it says.

As for what the times mean, HBO times are like most, set for Eastern viewers. Sometimes you'll see something like 9/8c, meaning it's "live" at 9 in the Eastern time zone and 8 in the Central one. Mountain and Pacific broadcasters handle things individually; some'll broadcast "live" alongside the Eastern time, making it 6 in the Pacific time zone and 7 in Mountain. Others'll shift things to be later; for example, a lot of prime time dramas are at 9pm Eastern and delayed 3 hours so they're also 9pm Pacific. But not everything, nor all broadcasters.

*About abbreviations: For example, Colorado observes daylight saving time, and is therefore in the MDT time zone right now. Arizona doesn't, so is still MST. (Which, coincidentally, puts their clocks the same as everyone observing DST in the Pacific time zone.)

Subscribed, asked the cable rep (well, typed, it was chat) to Please pass on that I was subscribing specifically for Game of Thrones, and emailed [email protected] (which is the email feedback mechanism linked to on HBO's site; the other reference is a phone number and it's outside business hours) to indicate the same. I feel like an industrious little GoT nerd now. :fencing:

...and here comes a storm to drop my satellite connection just on cue. The Children of the Forest are using their powers to suppress the tales of the First Men and Andals?

Yes I know I can see it elsewhere, just wanted to see it on my large TV without possibly having to worry about a slow connection at a website that could be bombarded.

Archived