How "Gay" will the show get?

It will be interesting seeing how non-readers pick up on and react to it - I'd guess it's going to be easier to spot than in the books. Hopefully it won't generate too much stupi er, 'controversy'.

i thought Renly was gay/bi from the moment they started describing him in AGOT, to me it just made sense. Loras is hardly noticeable in the first book as more than Sansa's knight in shining armor (in her head). Also even if the Tyrell's knew about Renly and Loras and i don't see how that would affect their decision to marry him to Margeory, as long as he can have children why would they care if he loved her or her brother.

i don't think that a gay sex scene in 2011 on HBO will generate much controversy.

Let's see. Lord Raul's comments if they are homophobic.

The only thing that makes the series, is that telling a story about characters who have a homosexual sexual orientation, is reality! HBO must be realistic and not fear for some puritans who feel uncomfortable to see the completion of sex between two men.

Sex is always beautiful to see, the person who rejects a sex scene, has a problem of mentality.

I am not one of those people who thinks someone is a homophobe or bigot just because they find sex between two people of the same gender gross. However, I think Lord Raul took it too far. Not only was he grossed out at the idea of gay sex, he felt it was wrong for HBO to show it, but raised no objections to them showing explicit heterosexual sex and suggested that this gay scene was merely a political ploy.

The latter was particularly ridiculous since these gay characters had sex in Martin's story. Just because neither of them were PoV characters, we didn't see it up close and personal. However, HBO isn't bound by the books' PoV restrictions and can show us scenes we didn't experience directly in the books.

A reasonable person who is not a bigot or homophobe but finds sex between two men gross would have just have resolved to skip that scene when it came on the show instead of acting indignant and upset that HBO plans to air it and would not have starting a thread to whine about it.

I'm quite glad he's banned. Good riddance.

QFE

Well put.

I dunno I thought it was more gratifying for me personally to figure out that Loras and Renly were lovers rather than have it shown to me in an explicit sex scene. I felt GRRM semi-hid it. I think viewers tuning it would be unknowingly cheated by it if it was just flat out shown. The way George presented it was as many have already said, an open secret. Namely anyone who was anyone pobably had a good sense of what was really going on, but to keep up appearances it could never be acknowledged. However i think it could add more depth to the loras character probably through pillow talk between he and Renly.

I dunno I thought it was more gratifying for me personally to figure out that Loras and Renly were lovers rather than have it shown to me in an explicit sex scene. I felt GRRM semi-hid it. I think viewers tuning it would be unknowingly cheated by it if it was just flat out shown. The way George presented it was as many have already said, an open secret. Namely anyone who was anyone pobably had a good sense of what was really going on, but to keep up appearances it could never be acknowledged. However i think it could add more depth to the loras character probably through pillow talk between he and Renly.

Agreed.

I guessed Renly was gay pretty early, lots of hints there (but then there's the rainbow guard which made me doubt it- a bit obvious ney?). But until the 4th book I just assumed Loras just had a bit of a platonic hero worship going on for Renly, it only slowly came out that they were an item.

BTW, Lord Raul's profile is now showing as "Group: Banned", so it's likely that he can no longer respond to anyone here... in case anyone was really dying to know what he would say next. Looks like he lasted about a week on the board and managed to generate quite a bit of rancor in that time.

Poo, I was looking forward to more from this guy.

From some of the posts here it seems that some people think a person must be a bigot/homophobe because they think sex between two men is gross. Well, I also think sex between two elderly people is gross, but that doesn't mean I hate old people. :rolleyes:

If a gay man says he thinks man-woman sex is gross, are you going to call him a bigot/heterophobe?

I think the OP bashing here is a bit uncalled for. I have to say I do agree with him that I don't like the idea of making Renly/Loras a big open relationship as opposed to the little back detail/easter egg it was in the books.

Edited out comments on sex upon seeing mod ruling. Suffice to say I didn't think the OP was being so bad.

Listen closely. Try to actually READ this reply. It has been said in this thread a dozen fucking times, yet some people have some how not understood. When someone calls gay sex "filth" and says it is directed at "perverts" he is a bigot, no if, ands, or buts. What is so fucking hard to understand about that?

Not just because it would make it awkward to watch with my mother (ick!) but because it takes up time and adds nothing to the overall story.

I love this. If you have issues watching some types of scenes with your mother, you really think this is "watch with the mother" kind of TV (ever if Renly-Loras didn't feature at all)? :P

The "adding nothing to the overall story theory" doesn't really work either. Most anything can be excessive but knowing how Loras and Renly feel about each other is relatively important. Show don't tell after all!

I dunno I thought it was more gratifying for me personally to figure out that Loras and Renly were lovers rather than have it shown to me in an explicit sex scene.

Given the structure of the book, it worked fine but TV is a different medium.

"Also does anyone know how graphic the gay scences are going to be? Please do not post anything perverted or lude."

Clearly Lord Raul is motivated by honest curioscity, and it would be rewd not to answer, since in fact I do know. Here's how it'll go:

In a dimly lit tent full of _______________, with Renly _____________, Loras ___________ __________________ _____ on __________ and his ________________ ___________ four or five times. Brienne, just a few feet away, is unaware that ______. Every _____________ Loras _____________ __________ Renly _______ and Renly ____________, combing his hair and whistling a happy tune. Cut to an animated dream scene taking place in Renly's _____ _________________ with ____________ sounds of _________________. _________ ______________ ________ ______ _______________ if ___________________ _______________ ______________________ _______ _________ five hundred oiled naked 18-year-old boys and girls tied together on a trampoline. They exchange a longing glance and do not touch. Fade to black.

I laughed here.

Archived