[BOOK SPOILERS] The First 15 Minutes

Ran

I bet it's wonderful, but I don't have cable, and my internet connection isn't fast enough to stream it. Does anybody know if/when it might appear on youtube? At least then I can rip it to my hard drive. I spent 20 minutes just now trying to watch, only got 45 seconds in, constant buffering. :(

Loved it. Dub is already making fun of me for fangirling. His one comment was: Catelyn looks off. (This is the first video he has seen so far.) I disagree. I love her look, and have defended it from the get-go. (He thinks she has lost too much of the beauty that she had when she was younger.)

My only nitpick was that they didn't have Theon kick Will's head. I suppose they'll find other ways to set him up to be an ass, though.

Honestly, the only thing I don't really like about Catelyn is that she just looks dehydrated.

The Others were certainly creepy looking but certainly not white, so I don't see how they can justify calling them the "white walkers." At any rate, iirc, we won't be seeing them again until season 3 so they have plenty of time to work out their look I suppose.

Anyway, I liked the fact that most of the changes made beyond the wall were pretty much made with the intention of setting up the exact same atmosphere in the prologue of AGOT but for a different medium. I think it bodes well for the rest of the series.

I have to admit I am quite bummed that we didn't get to see the series/episode opening sequence, based on the rave reviews that Ran has given it.

ETA: Also, I noticed Will says "forgive me lord," instead of "forgive me seven" or "forgive me gods" or something like that. Was this intentional or just an oversight? Are the commoners referring to the seven as a single entity? In the books this was presented as high theology that only septons knew but didn't really understand, sort of like the Catholic Trinity.

My only nitpick was that they didn't have Theon kick Will's head. I suppose they'll find other ways to set him up to be an ass, though.

yeah i agree, but it shows theon for a second after the beheading and he has his arms crossed and a smug look on his face.

also, this topic is about to blow up in a hurry

Holy SHIT that was awesome. Im stunned right now. Two weeks wont go fast enough, thats for sure.

One thing; I always imagined the wights as kinda plodding arms straight out zombie like. Thats not what we got here. Anyone recall what the books say?

Now to try and convince my wife its not a horror series, cause she hates movies likes that.

While it certainly looks quite chilling and creepy (although completely different from my mental image which is, in my opinion, far more chilling and creepy ;) ) the Other letting Will get away, after having killed Gared right in front of him, is an odd deviation from the novels. Why should it let him live?...

But those 15 minutes looked, sounded and felt fantastic. I'm off to watch them again - even though it's 4am here in Germany...

ETA: Also, I noticed Will says "forgive me lord," instead of "forgive me seven" or "forgive me gods" or something like that. Was this intentional or just an oversight? Are the commoners referring to the seven as a single entity? In the books this was presented as high theology that only septons knew but didn't really understand, sort of like the Catholic Trinity.
I'm going to guess he is actually asking for Lord Eddard Stark's forgiveness here.

My assumption was that they are called white walkers because they arrive when "the snows fall and the white winds blow". I suspect Old Nan's stories may further set that up.

And the next scene with the pups will set up that Theon is in fact a jag bag. :P

Visually stunning. I was so drawn into every detail that I completely forgot it was a preview and didn't know what to do once it ended. It's almost bittersweet getting to look at the Starks like this knowing what is coming up.

I don't think I've been this excited for something in a long time!

I'd noticed this before (in previews), but hadn't seen it discussed anywhere: does anyone know why they changed the survivor of the attack (and subsequent deserter) from Gared to Will?

I think a younger men behaded was more impressive, or maybe the actor was just better

I really missed theon kicking the head..

I wish they would have kept the line about "having to hear his last words/ maybe he doesnt deserve to die" in the show. That really stuck with me throughout the series about how important death and duty should be.

I will not be able to watch this show with anyone who hasn't read the books (and I know a few people who are in this camp -- sold on the show without ever having cracked a page of ASOIAF), because it will be impossible for me to keep my piehole shut about spoilers.

I wish they would have kept the line about "having to hear his last words/ maybe he doesnt deserve to die" in the show. That really stuck with me throughout the series about how important death and duty should be.

I agree — I missed hearing the bit about "a ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is." It's also a shame that the TV audience won't get the first contrast between Ned's values and Robert's ("King Robert has a headsman").

Well I loved this. They are already setting up Bran, Arya (and to a lesser extent Jon and Robb) to be great character who are fun to watch. It was certainly visually striking. Can't wait for the remainder of the episode.

The only bad thing I could say is that while I loved this, as a fan of the books, I wonder if this 15-minute clip drew in any fans who were on the fence about watching the show. Im not sure it had enough of a wow-factor to draw in new and potential fans. But either way I loved it. I cant think of any flaws with the scenes we actually saw. Very excited now!

Also, i finally have a clear opinion about kit harrington.

IMHO, he is really good, and this has been a pleasant surprise, since he was the one i had most doubts about. After the video...he is the actor with most lines in the preview and now i finally have a clear idea about his acting. I like him.

And sean bean's line "winter is coming?" awesome!

The only bad thing I could say is that while I loved this, as a fan of the books, I wonder if this 15-minute clip drew in any fans who were on the fence about watching the show. Im not sure it had enough of a wow-factor to draw in new and potential fans.

Well, it'll probably draw in any horror/gore fans who were on the fence...

Archived