[NO SPOILERS] Orientation

Ran

• 2 weeks later...

This thread discusses changes which has radically changed the view of a character: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/67087-book-spoilers-small-differences-beteween-books-and-show-that-radically-alter-a-character/. The book discussion threads after each episode usually bring this up as well :)

Anyways, that's what I came up with on the top of my head ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there. I'm new. So even though I haven't read the books, I have a little more knowldege about the TV show than most people who just watch it. I've really done some research into back stories (come across a few spoilers along the way...had some things ruined for me...Red Wedding. etc...)

But now I'm determined to read the books because I don't want to have anything else spoiled for me. Also: Yara Greyjoy is really named Asha, which rocks because Asha is my name. :)

Hello there. I'm new. So even though I haven't read the books, I have a little more knowldege about the TV show than most people who just watch it. I've really done some research into back stories (come across a few spoilers along the way...had some things ruined for me...Red Wedding. etc...)

But now I'm determined to read the books because I don't want to have anything else spoiled for me. Also: Yara Greyjoy is really named Asha, which rocks because Asha is my name. :)

Your name is Asha? Wow, that's pretty cool.

Your name is Asha? Wow, that's pretty cool.

Thanks! I've never seen a book character with my name before so I was pretty excited. Do you have any suggestions on which book I should start at? I've seen all the TV episodes. Should I still start from the beggining?

Thanks! I've never seen a book character with my name before so I was pretty excited. Do you have any suggestions on which book I should start at? I've seen all the TV episodes. Should I still start from the beggining?

Yes, I think you should start from the beggining. The show is as faithful to the books as it can be; however, you should see them as two different ways to tell the same story. Take my advice, you won't regret it, Lady Asha! :D

• 1 year later...

I agree on start with the beginning . . . but I also have to add a grain of salt.

Generally, the show was most faithful to the books at the beginning and has gradually diverged. The early part of book one contains a lot of set-up (as does the beginning of almost every long work) and it's very similar to what you've already seen in the show.

So I'd just be forewarned that the very beginning may not be hugely fascinating. Even if you find it so, stick in; as is usually the case the book's a lot better than the movie show, and it won't take you too long to see it.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Newbie here, just wondering does anyone know how long greyscale takes to turn an infected person into a stoneman?

I don't think there's a definite answer in the books, but it's a gradual and long process. There is one character that gets infected, and about two months later he has only four fingers of one hand blackened.

The maesters also say that the process can be slowed by drinking vinager, taking hot baths, and some other methods, but its effectiveness is doubtful.

• 11 months later...
8 hours ago, TwiceBorn said:

How is the dragonlord gene passed in T family

Hide contents

since Jon burned his hand he does not have it.

Generally speaking Targaryens are not fireproof. Martin once said that Daenery's experience with the funeral pyre was "a one time magical event." There's still some debate as to the extent of Daenerys's resistance to heat and fire, Martin may even have changed his mind since he claimed it was a one time thing years ago, we don't know.

But we do know for sure that Targaryens have burned. Aerion Brightflame from the Dunk & Egg stories burnt to death after drinking wildfire. Rhaenys "The Queen who never was" Targaryen was burnt to death in the Dance of Dragons, while Aegon II received horrible burns in the same battle. 

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

Generally speaking Targaryens are not fireproof. Martin once said that Daenery's experience with the funeral pyre was "a one time magical event." There's still some debate as to the extent of Daenerys's resistance to heat and fire, Martin may even have changed his mind since he claimed it was a one time thing years ago, we don't know.

But we do know for sure that Targaryens have burned. Aerion Brightflame from the Dunk & Egg stories burnt to death after drinking wildfire. Rhaenys "The Queen who never was" Targaryen was burnt to death in the Dance of Dragons, while Aegon II received horrible burns in the same battle. 

For all I know Rhaenys was fed to the dragon not burnt to death... but clearly the Aegon II case (burns) proves that you don't need to be heat resistant to actually own or mount a dragon. Thanks.

• 1 year later...
On 6/30/2016 at 10:16 PM, RumHam said:

This is a super old post I know; but is this possibly a case of determining who is a true, worthy Targaryen and who isn't? Brightflame was a cruel mad man and not in any way fit to rule or hold power. Rhaenys might be seen the same - she lost the dance and burned for it. Viserys is the same.

Maybe having some kind of fire proof power is a testament to just how Targaryen/worthy of the throne you are.