Dany gets under my skin sometimes...

Elrick

I've been rereading the books and have to admit that Dany still gets under my skin sometimes. I don't like how she burned that Mirri Maaz, the lady was avenging the deaths of her clans and Dany had no right to kill her like this. It was completely unjustified to think that she owed Dany anything in my opinion. For one her husbands tribe was renowned to kill, murder and rape, especially Mirri's people. In this I would be hard pressed not to seek revenge myself! Or how about how she dragged that man that tried to kill her naked. That was simply barbaric and she should have had him killed by a clean death at least in my opinion.

Oh and her going on about her being the blood of the dragon is very annoying. I also got pretty annoyed when she went off on Ned Stark calling him a traitor because he went against her royal family. Ned was the one that saved her life after all and didn't feel what Gregor did was right at all, yet Ned as usual is looked upon as a traitor... Maybe her feelings towards the Stark's will change but I dislike her entitlement beliefs.

And how would she know that Ned "saved her life" (he didn't really, he just opposed sending an assassin after her, which was done anyways. Ned had nothing to do with the assassin failing.) or how he felt about what Gregor did? Her opinion of him is completely based on what she heard from Jorah and Viserys. Jorah hates Ned for condemning him according to the law and Viserys hates everybody.

Ned was a traitor and its only reasonable that Dany has no sympathy with his treachery. She's heard nothing of the burning of Lord Rickard, the strangling of Brandon, the abduction of Lyanna or the demand for Ned's and Robert's heads.

I, too, hope that her animosity towards the Starks will lessen, and the more she learns of the truth (Through Barristan for example) the more it might.

And how would she know that Ned "saved her life" (he didn't really, he just opposed sending an assassin after her, which was done anyways. Ned had nothing to do with the assassin failing.) or how he felt about what Gregor did? Her opinion of him is completely based on what she heard from Jorah and Viserys. Jorah hates Ned for condemning him according to the law and Viserys hates everybody.

Ned was a traitor and its only reasonable that Dany has no sympathy with his treachery. She's heard nothing of the burning of Lord Rickard, the strangling of Brandon, the abduction of Lyanna or the demand for Ned's and Robert's heads.

I, too, hope that her animosity towards the Starks will lessen, and the more she learns of the truth (Through Barristan for example) the more it might.

He had everything to do with saving Dany's life. The letter that Jorah got remember?

Oh and her going on about her being the blood of the dragon is very annoying. I also got pretty annoyed when she went off on Ned Stark calling him a traitor because he went against her royal family. Ned was the one that saved her life after all and didn't feel what Gregor did was right at all, yet Ned as usual is looked upon as a traitor... Maybe her feelings towards the Stark's will change but I dislike her entitlement beliefs.

But from what she heard Ned was a traitor. Are you angry she lacks the ability to read minds? She is getting her info from Jorah and Viserys who hate the Starks.

I also do not get entitlement. Ned was a leader of a rebellion that killed her father, brother, sister-in-law, nephew, and niece. So she is has an entitlement issue when she thinks that is bad? She is supposed to be nice to lady that killed her own son?

It sounds like you are demanding Dany have super human powers of forgiveness, objectivity, and godlike powers of omniscience. She already is a mother of dragons who kicks ten kinds of ass. Let's at least let her be somewhat of a flawed human being ok?

Dany's been getting knocked around lately, at least on this site. A lot of people don't like here flawless nature, and yes, the whole "I am the blood of the dragon," thing is annoying. Also, I don't like it when characters go from 0 to 60 in one book, or at a ridiculously young age start to take over the world, like we see with her.

Dany's been getting knocked around lately, at least on this site. A lot of people don't like here flawless nature, and yes, the whole "I am the blood of the dragon," thing is annoying. Also, I don't like it when characters go from 0 to 60 in one book, or at a ridiculously young age start to take over the world, like we see with her.

Ironically this guy doesn't like her flawed nature. I love Dany's chapters but every single character gets hated on this site. Somebody doesn't like a character and rushes to post on here looking for affirmation of their dislike...for some reason.

Do you also find Arya claiming she is a wolf annoying? All the characters from major houses do the blood thing...well I guess Catelyn never says how she is the scales of the trout.

The letter was sent by Varys. Ned was second in command of the army that destroyed her family. In this I would be hard pressed not to seek revenge myself!

Ned made Varys send the letter...

Dany annoys me sometimesa but for none of those reasons. All of those are completely justifiable.

She killed Mirri Mhaz Duur because she just killed her son and arguably her husband. Even if they had done bad stuff to her originally, Dany can justifiably feel upset.

As for the Ned Stark thing....as far as Dany knows he is a traitor, she's never met him and she still doesn't really know all that much about the causes of the rebellion and Aerys' madness.

It's other things about her that annoy me...but she's a real character, not some flawlesss superhero and you're not supposed to love every single thing she does.

I just dont get it. Why does daenarys bother so many people? shes a young queen in exile seeking to regain her lost throne. political upheaval in her homeland sends many that are seeking power and/or fleeing the conflict flocking to her banner.

shes not some bumpkin from the riverlands who cant spell her own name, or some gutter rat from flea bottom, shes the RIGHTFUL HEIR TO THE F"CKING IRON THRONE (so she believes). Nothing has been easy for her, and nothing has fallen into her lap. She is young, beautiful, intelligent, and resourceful. She has been perceptive enough to realize that at every step of the way, her opponents have underestimated her (although i think this is about to change). She treats her subjects as well as she can, and they love her for it. Are these things really so bad and unbelievable? And why do any of you think things are gonna continue to come up roses for her (as if they already have)? She has many, many powerful agents headed her way seeking to bend her to their will or work other nefarious designs upon her person.

Everyones entitled to their opinion, but why do the haters have to always post theirs so frequently? Why do you haters need the approval of the other internet haters? Cant y'all just hate in silence? Or just give them their own damn thread, stickied, where they can all get together and hate as much as they want and i dont have to look at or read all the stupid negativity in the 5 new hater posts each day.

I refuse to believe that the haters are the majority of readers. But all these damn hater threads are starting to take over and its irritating.

Valmy,

I can tell you why people post things they dont like here, because it's a #%¥€ing forum where we discuss the series and everyone dosn't agree on everything. That's the beauty of it, dude ( or dudett).

As for Arya, na, her whole wolf thing dosen't bug. Clearly, it's not the same as Dany's situation. Arya shows signs of being a wrag, Dany's all ego.

That's what "this guy" thinks.

I can tell you why people post things they dont like here, because it's a #%¥€ing forum where we discuss the series and everyone dosn't agree on everything. That's the beauty of it, dude ( or dudett).

Yes and the beauty of it is I can have an opinion on that as well.

As for Arya, na, her whole wolf thing dosen't bug. Clearly, it's not the same as Dany's situation. Arya shows signs of being a wrag, Dany's all ego.

Eh I think in both situations it is the character trying to live up to the ideals of their house. Arya doesn't know she could be literally a wolf, she is trying to live up to being a Stark. Same with Dany trying her best to be a proper Targ.

Summerknight,

Dany is not the rughtfull heir to the throne. The Trags got the boot, that's all there is to it. That dosen't mean she can't win it back, though.

Forel,

The difference is that Arya's is physical...a part of the world. Some people are wargs while others aren't. The dragons where conceived through a source of dark magic and there is no physical connection to Dany. Only death can pay for life.

Well, hold on to that thought, because we don't know yet. It's not completely out of left field to assume that the noble houses of Old Valyria have some sort of magical trait. There is some evidence that points to that: Their eyes are purple and their hair is silvery-gold, they exhibit some resistance to heat, they raise dragons, they marry brother to sister to keep the line pure (and what is that trait which they do not wish to have diluted over the years?)...not your run-of-the-mill royal dynasty, eh? You might even go as far as to say that being born a Targaryen (being blood of the dragon, in other words) is as special as being born a Stark... if not more.

justice is in the eyes of the judge, you may think she hasn't any right to kill Mirri like that, but she thinks she does. anyway it's been the same with every character, the guy with the bigger stick is the law, all actions can be seen as unlawful from the enemy, say Cersei or Jaime may believe that their love is justified, the king may differ. anyway she can only see Mirri as killing her child, not Drogo because he was essentially already dead.

Forel,

The difference is that Arya's is physical...a part of the world. Some people are wargs while others aren't. The dragons where conceived through a source of dark magic and there is no physical connection to Dany. Only death can pay for life.

Maybe, maybe not. It could easily be that the Targs are the only people capable of bringing dragons to life. Have we ever been told of another family that had them?

Either way, Arya is a Stark who's symbol is the wolf. Dany is a Targ who's symbol is a dragon. The same goes for the Lannister's and referring to themselves as lions. It is literally the same thing.

I cannot put my finger on the reason I dont' particularly like Dany. I like most of her POVs in AGoT. Perhpas so little happened for a while.

I am getting impatient for Selmy to start educating her on her father. That's becuase I want to hear more about him myself. And that better happen soon, as it seems like she's in for an influx of advisors and suitors.

IMHO Dany isn't fleshed out as a character yet. And perhaps that is where GRRM is going with this. She only knows about life through her brother and the Dothraki. So maybe Dany will get maore interesting soon.

And I really like Arya,

Archived