Dany gets under my skin sometimes...

Elrick

Dany annoys me sometimesa but for none of those reasons. All of those are completely justifiable.

She killed Mirri Mhaz Duur because she just killed her son and arguably her husband. Even if they had done bad stuff to her originally, Dany can justifiably feel upset.

Okay I get it she deserved to die but why burn her alive? Why not just cut her head off? The woman was forced to endure watching her people become slaves to a hoard of savage barbarians and in my opinion her vengeance was justified.

As far as bashing her for not liking Ned... Well I was been a little unreasonable where that is concerned. I get carried away sometimes.

Elrick, your opinion is a fairly popular one here. Other than Catelyn or Sansa, Dany is the character most likely to raise the ire of the typical fantasy reader (aka male, single, 18-30 years old).

The reasons you give, however, are pretty silly in my opinion, and as you've admitted in at least one case.

In my opinion her vengeance was justified.

So... if someone has suffered they are justified in harming others that have done nothing to harm them, and have, in fact, helped them?

If MMD had actually killed Drogo or any of the other Dothraki in vengeance, I could buy this argument. But no. She actually cared for Drogo's wound properly (or tried to) but instead killed Dany's child, who by this point would not even be a Dothraki prince (after Drogo's death, her child Rhaego had no right to inherit anything within the Dothraki culture).

Also as to why she was burned alive, well waking the dragon eggs wouldn't have worked too well with a hanging instead. Two birds with one stone and all that. :0 Plus it's as traditional a way to execute someone as other methods - in particular, witches.

Elrick, your opinion is a fairly popular one here. Other than Catelyn or Sansa, Dany is the character most likely to raise the ire of the typical fantasy reader (aka male, single, 18-30 years old).

Female, not single, 17 years old. I still don't like her :D

Ned made Varys send the letter...

I can't find that in the book. From what I can tell Ned storms out and quits. Then Petyr shows up to take him to a brothel which is followed by Ned breaking his leg. I never saw where Ned went behind Roberts back to send a warning letter to Jorah. The letter Jorah recieves appeared to be on of the standard ones that Varys uses to communicate with Jorah. What chapter does Ned tell Varys to send the letter?

I happen to like Dany, for reasons similar to some already mentioned. I'm also a fan of her story arc; I feel like she is processing different cultures in an interesting way, and also in a way that makes it very unlikely that the Seven Kingdoms will ever seem like the home that Viserys told her it was.

I'm aware of various kinds of Dany-dislike from reading this forum (though my RL friends that have read ASoIaF all like her). I also notice that some readers are much bigger fans of the political story (war tactics, court intrigue) than the magic or fantastical elements of the story. (Personally, I really like the way the two work together.) A question to Elrick, and others non-fans of Dany: Do you dislike these fantastical plots and characters in ASoIaF? I happen to love the GoT ending with the dragons hatching, so I see the Mirri Maz Duur revenge killing as a crucial part of this plot moment. But I also like other magic intrigue that other readers find "boring," like Bran's chapters or events beyond the Wall. I am wondering if the taste for magic informs taste for characters in instances like this.

I'm not IN like with her or anything. But her chapters can be fun.

:agree:

but dany, as a character, is not THAT fun. I like the chapters (well, mayb like is to much, IDK) but she is not in my top 10

I can't find that in the book. From what I can tell Ned storms out and quits. Then Petyr shows up to take him to a brothel which is followed by Ned breaking his leg. I never saw where Ned went behind Roberts back to send a warning letter to Jorah. The letter Jorah recieves appeared to be on of the standard ones that Varys uses to communicate with Jorah. What chapter does Ned tell Varys to send the letter?

he tells Varys something like "The king changed his mind about dany"

right before robert dies

I'm not a fan of Dany, but she's been more tolerable since Selmy joined her. I don't really know why I dont like her other than that I think her chapters are fairly boring and I absolutly hate the blood of the dragon thing. I know other characters do it too, and it may be the exact same thing but for some reason I hate it more when she does it.

The best thing about her POV in my opinion is that we might hear about Rhaeger.

That wasn't sending the letter, that was canceling reward. The letter was already sent by then.

yes, but the second letter (sent by ned) put an end to that threat to dany's life

I found myself rooting for Dany after the deaths of her son (unborn? stillborn?) and husband (and brother but she wasn't too fussed about that) - the moment where the dragons hatched was a glorious triumph to read about. My complaint is that it was all uphill from here. She hasn't suffered any major setback since then and in fact has gone from victory to victory (not to mention surviving a number of assassination attempts). The constant "I am Daenerys Stormborn, the unburnt, khaleesi, the blood of the dragon, mother of dragons, and the rightful queen of Westeros" prattle definitely got on my nerves.

Some tragedy in the Dany camp is definitely overdue. I, for one, hope that she will die sacrificing herself to some cause, perhaps the fight against the Others. Not because I hate the character, just that it would be a nice way to wrap up the story.

yes, but the second letter (sent by ned) put an end to that threat to dany's life

Still not sure what supposed letter you are talking about. Are you thinking of the mystery letter Ned wrote in his cell the night before he was executed? Most people believe that letter may contain information about Jon, not Dany. There's certainly no evidence it was about Dany.

Also you seem to be forgetting that Varys is, and has always been (unlike Ned), a Targ backer, and would never have allowed Daenerys to be assassinated. He ordered Jorah to watch out for the wineseller assassin sent by Robert - Ned did nothing of the kind. Varys would have continued to do so as long as the crown - or anyone - continued to send assassins. Ned's opinion had nothing to do with it.

Still not sure what supposed letter you are talking about. Are you thinking of the mystery letter Ned wrote in his cell the night before he was executed? Most people believe that letter may contain information about Jon, not Dany. There's certainly no evidence it was about Dany.

Also you seem to be forgetting that Varys is, and has always been (unlike Ned), a Targ backer, and would never have allowed Daenerys to be assassinated. He ordered Jorah to watch out for the wineseller assassin sent by Robert - Ned did nothing of the kind. Varys would have continued to do so as long as the crown - or anyone - continued to send assassins. Ned's opinion had nothing to do with it.

When robert changed his mind aboutkilling dany (just before he dies) ned goes to tell varys. Maybe varys would have never allowed dany's death, but ned couldn't have know that.

I think something that knocks Dany's new found vanity down a few pegs would go a long way to making her more interesting. Maimed leg, or scared face, something like that perhaps, or making decisions that are hard and don't work out.

I think something that knocks Dany's new found vanity down a few pegs would go a long way to making her more interesting. Maimed leg, or scared face, something like that perhaps, or making decisions that are hard and don't work out.

Hmmm...I wonder? :idea:

I think Dany has had just such a thing come up recently when it is shown that Drogon has developed a taste for children instead of just livestock. People are routinely reimbursed for any livestock the dragons may take. However, A man shows up at Dany's court with a bag of charred bones that is all he has left of his small son. How's she going to deal with that little development? She can't simply reimburse the father as if it was a sheep or something. That will be a difficult conumdrum and I have a feeling more such occurrances are on the way.

Archived