GRRM hopes not to "Pull a Lost"

Abaddon

JKR vs. GRRM? GRRM wins IF he manages to avoid killing main characters off screen (the likes of Lupin and Tonks, to be clearer) and then give half-assed explanations in interviews. "Oh yeah, Bellatrix killed Tonks." Like off-handedly mentioning Ned is dead, and then, in an interview, hinting at "Oh yeah, Payne beheaded him because Joffrey wouldn't want to spare him."

Yes, I have a chip upon my shoulder. And despite this...

(my bolding)

:agree: Yes! The whole HP saga defies genres. I, too, read LOTR as a kid, and enjoyed the movies as an adult. To stay on-topic, I think ASOIAF too defies genres - heroic fantasy, "historical" novel? Nah. - I think we really ought to look beyond genres, or we'll be forever stuck into the same old, same old definitions. ASOIAF is just plain good literature. Modern school anthologies include Tolkien. If the wirting is good, it's good, no matter the genre. If it touches people, for whatever reason, it deserves its place in the history of literature.

In my opinion, there is no comparison between GRRM and Rowling. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Harry Potter - the story was strong, if a bit cheesy, but Rowling is nothing more than competent with the written word (and as you hinted at, not the best at continuity). George, however, is the most skillful fantasy/sci-fi author in a generation, and possibly even more. Even Robert Jordan wasn't as good, may he Rest in Peace. Personally, I cannot see how Rowling and Martin are even comparable, other than they write in a similar genre. It would be akin to saying both Landry Fields and Michael Jordan match up as professional basketball players - they're both paid, but one is light years ahead of the other. I won't argue sales, because while I haven't checked, I'm sure Rowling blows GRRM away.

Archived