New Exercise & Fitness Thead

lessthanluke

until about 5:00 in it's all about a guy saying "look at me, i'm cool"

then he starts working out, and good for him and all that, but he still acts like a pretencious prick.

people acting like this would never successfully convert me to crossfit.

Going on about getting someone fired and that fact that he personally creates a good atmosphere at the gym because people gather round to cheer him on.....

Seems a bit of a douche to be honest.

And that's fine if fitness is not a huge priority to you.

if you're really trying to advocate for crossfit, you should consider toning down the 'holier than thou' a couple dozen notches.

I know a handful of people who are passionate about crossfit, and none of them ever remotely approach the kind of condescension you throw around so casually here. So at least it doesn't (anecdotally) seem to be endemic of people in the crossfit community.

my gym is closed for three weeks for remodeling so I'm working around not having access to a shower near work. So far fine. It's motivating me to just run home from work instead of working out at lunch and bussing it home.

So far working ok, but already getting bored with small variations in the route. Achilles is still holding up well though, so i may be over the hump.

if you're really trying to advocate for crossfit, you should consider toning down the 'holier than thou' a couple dozen notches.

I know a handful of people who are passionate about crossfit, and none of them ever remotely approach the kind of condescension you throw around so casually here. So at least it doesn't (anecdotally) seem to be endemic of people in the crossfit community.

my gym is closed for three weeks for remodeling so I'm working around not having access to a shower near work. So far fine. It's motivating me to just run home from work instead of working out at lunch and bussing it home.

So far working ok, but already getting bored with small variations in the route. Achilles is still holding up well though, so i may be over the hump.

I don't really catch that vibe from Stego. He's just passionate about what he feels.

And I am Holier than you! :)

I'm in decent shape from the regular exercise i do ( running, bench press, squats, and pullups) but I'm trying to get in the best condition possible strength and endurance wise for my city's fire academy and wanted to see if anyone had any advice. Would something like p90x be a good thing to get in to?

I guess I'm pretty uninformed when it comes to weight training and am basically just going off what I remember from football in highschool.

I'm in decent shape from the regular exercise i do ( running, bench press, squats, and pullups) but I'm trying to get in the best condition possible strength and endurance wise for my city's fire academy and wanted to see if anyone had any advice. Would something like p90x be a good thing to get in to?

I guess I'm pretty uninformed when it comes to weight training and am basically just going off what I remember from football in highschool.

Is it a real fire academy or a jolly volly one?

This will change the prescription i have for you.

As a professional fire fighter myself i might be able to help out.. but i need some background here.

eta: have you taken the CPAT yet?

Professional fire department. I have not taken the CPAT yet. Any help/advice is GREATLY appreciated.

So you haven't been hired yet?

Is this a major city?

My suggestion, and this is going to sound like a broken fucking record, is to find a Crossfit Box near you and start training. You won't find a better functional fitness model around. You can ask all the body builders you know, all the runners, all the tri athletes and it won't do you any fucking good. You need FUNCTIONAL fitness. Four out of the seven trainers at my gym are Fire Fighters. About 70% of our clientele are military, FF, and Cops. Why? The shit works. You need to be able to quickly move heavy shit over long distances. Running alone won't do that for you (plus it gives you a funky aesthetic). Weightlifting alone will make you strong but winded.

Again: www.crossfit.com

Let me know where you live and i'll find a gym for you.

also, the fucking CPAT is a joke, if you can't pass that just give up life.

And in the spirit of this thread, and how we like to play nice and all. If you need any interviewing advice, testing advice, ect. let me know, i'll do my best to help you out.

an aside: Are you certified in anything right now? EMT, FF I/II?

Its for Houston, Tx. I do have a brother in law who has mentioned crossfit to me, or at least something similar.

No I haven't been hired yet, and I'm honestly not worried about CPAT. Pretty much have the same feeling as you do about it from what I have been told. But I was betting that the actual academy would be much more difficult. And I want to be as prepared as I possibly fucking can be for it and after. Crossfit sounds like exactly what I want.

I received my ff certifications and just finished with emt basic. I want to hold off and gain as much experience as I can before going all the way to paramedic.

I knew a couple of guys that got on Houston.. they hated it. I guess there were a lot of problems with the Chief. Don't know the details.

I'm not a big fan of that town, although the most experience i've had with it is in Greenspoint, so i may not be attacking my opinion of it from the right angle.

http://www.atomiccrossfit.com/

Atomic is Sugarland, one of our trainers (one of the hottest girls i know) came from there, and has nothing but good shit to say about it. Don't know if that's a long drive for you, but it's worth checking out.

Bolded part mine. That is your fault not the gyms. I've pretty much always trained in crappy gyms and have made plenty of progress.

And I think you could make so much more. :D

I knew a couple of guys that got on Houston.. they hated it. I guess there were a lot of problems with the Chief. Don't know the details.

I'm not a big fan of that town, although the most experience i've had with it is in Greenspoint, so i may not be attacking my opinion of it from the right angle.

http://www.atomiccrossfit.com/

Atomic is Sugarland, one of our trainers (one of the hottest girls i know) came from there, and has nothing but good shit to say about it. Don't know if that's a long drive for you, but it's worth checking out.

that's maybe a 10 minute drive for me so not bad. Thanks for the advice, definitely checking it out.

I haven't spent any time in the Greenspoint area so i can't really comment.

Going on about getting someone fired and that fact that he personally creates a good atmosphere at the gym because people gather round to cheer him on.....

Seems a bit of a douche to be honest.

He's a complete douche, IMO.

He's still the fittest person in the room. That's the moral of the story.

Archived