[BOOK SPOILERS] Changes you wouldn't mind.

Venardhi

Count me as another who likes the idea of casting Melisandre as Asian.

In the first season it's going to be a bit hard to break from the books--there's a lot that has to be set up, and certain plot beats that have to be hit--but by season 2 there should be a lot more room to add and change specific plot beats, and in that respect I'd like to see them make the plot a little more episodic, even adding plots to make for more self-contained episodes. For instance, S2 will have the Night's Watch roaming beyond the Wall--why not come up with some one-off adventure for them that isn't in the books? Same with Dany's stint in Qarth, Sansa's time at court, and Arya's roaming around the countryside. In fact, Arya already has a little self-contained episode in her sojourn at Harrenhal and her employing Jaqen H'gar--when I read that, I thought it really felt like the plot for a single episode of an ongoing TV series. Heck, even Jaime's time as Robb's prisoner can probably be added to (and they're definitely going to have to show it on-screen).

Book 3 is a little tighter, plot-wise, so there may not be as much room for originality, but I'd REALLY like to see them make more of Jon's divided loyalties with Mance Rayder. In the book it's too obvious that he's not going to betray the Night's Watch, but I like the idea that he might be legitimately torn--the people of Westeros really DO treat him like crap, and it kind of makes sense that he might honestly consider joining up with Mance.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DONT TURN GOT INTO STAR TREK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO episodic bullshit for the love of god.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DONT TURN GOT INTO STAR TREK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO episodic bullshit for the love of god.

Give HBO's track record, I seriously doubt this is something we need seriously fear. I can't think of any HBO show that switched from arc-based to episodic (or vice-versa, for that matter).

Whoa, relax, friend. I didn't say "turn it into Star Trek", and I think it's pretty obvious the show is always going to be heavily arc-based. But one of the big complaints about the show right now is that there's no coherent story within each episode--each one is just a slice of the larger story. The showrunners have actually done a decent job of trying to find mini-stories within the larger story, but I think it would be cool to break a bit more from the books in later seasons and find a couple of little self-contained plots WITHIN THE LARGER STORY. In fact, this may be flat-out necessary to give the characters something to do--look at Dany, for instance, who only has two real plot beats in the season book: crossing the Red Waste and visiting the Undying. Between and after those two sequences--each of which would only take about an episode's worth of plot--there's not really that much for her to do. So why not come up with a new plot or two to fill up a couple of episodes? Same with Arya's wanderings--she has to hit certain plot beats, but otherwise, she just travels the countryside. Why not come up with some new stuff for her to do?

Archived