Unofficial Stark and Targaryen Skins for Westeros

theMountainGoat

For anyone that finds the colour schemes of Westeros too distracting, too difficult to read or hard to get away with while at work, help is at hand with these handy alternative Skins.

Stark skin v3.0

A plain white background with muted grey tones, perfect for keeping a low profile while in the workplace.

Targaryen skin v3.0

Black background with white text and red highlights. For those who prefer the dark side.

Also now available optional extras:

Option: Hide Avatars v1.0

Option: Remove BG and Logos v1.0

Option: News Right v1.0

In order to use these unofficial skins you will need to be using either Firefox with Stylish add-on or Google Chrome with Stylish extension. Full details on how to download and install the skins is available on the Westeros skins page of my website: www.sermountaingoat.co.uk

Please note that these skins are "unofficial" and are for "your own personal use" which means that if the Westeros forum admins change something across the entire website and this causes a display problem because of the skin then under no circumstance should you blame Ran for this and give him hassle about it. In fact please don't give me hassle about it either. But if you do notice anything which is not displaying properly, or if you have a suggestion for a change to improve either of the skins, then please feel free to contact me and I will see what I can do to help.

Edited by lordMountainGoat

Hey Kat

Are you using Chrome? The reason I ask is because I needed to add a rule to the code which moves the Messenger box to the left because for me in Firefox it appears further to the right and disappears off the side of the page and you can't select messages to delete them. Someone else pointed this problem out to me but I don't remember who now.

It might be that this problem only applies to Firefox so in Chrome the box would appear in the wrong place. Might need to create two different versions if this is the case. I'm not sure what the route cause of this problem is, perhaps one of the image backgrounds I have removed.

Oh I also found the problem with the font-color selector boxes all being grey, this seems to be only on the sig and profile edit windows. The problem here is that the color is being inherited from the <fieldset> tag which encompasses the background. The class which defines this is also the class used on the forum indexes for row1 of the table. I can't find a specific way to target the font-color box and tell it not to inherit the rule from above. I believe there is a way to do this, will need to look into it more.

Hey Kat

Are you using Chrome? The reason I ask is because I needed to add a rule to the code which moves the Messenger box to the left because for me in Firefox it appears further to the right and disappears off the side of the page and you can't select messages to delete them. Someone else pointed this problem out to me but I don't remember who now.

It might be that this problem only applies to Firefox so in Chrome the box would appear in the wrong place. Might need to create two different versions if this is the case. I'm not sure what the route cause of this problem is, perhaps one of the image backgrounds I have removed.

Oh I also found the problem with the font-color selector boxes all being grey, this seems to be only on the sig and profile edit windows. The problem here is that the color is being inherited from the <fieldset> tag which encompasses the background. The class which defines this is also the class used on the forum indexes for row1 of the table. I can't find a specific way to target the font-color box and tell it not to inherit the rule from above. I believe there is a way to do this, will need to look into it more.

:lol: That was me that pointed that out, before the board started crashing FF for me. I am using Chrome now.

The font box works now, btw.

You are saintly for putting this all together.

• 5 months later...

New versions of the unofficial Stark and Targaryen skins now available for Westeros:

Stark skin v3.0

Targaryen skin v3.0

Please note you will need to be using either Firefox or Chrome with the Stylish plug-in installed in order to use these styles. Download and installation instructions available on my website www.sermountaingoat.co.uk

If anyone encounters a problem using the skins, or has an idea to improve the style of the skins, or even an idea for a new useful option then please let me know and I will see what I can do.

New versions of the unofficial Stark and Targaryen skins now available for Westeros:

Stark skin v3.0

Targaryen skin v3.0

Please note you will need to be using either Firefox or Chrome with the Stylish plug-in installed in order to use these styles. Download and installation instructions available on my website www.sermountaingoat.co.uk

If anyone encounters a problem using the skins, or has an idea to improve the style of the skins, or even an idea for a new useful option then please let me know and I will see what I can do.

These look great for me on Chrome. Thanks so much. If I were to suggest one improvement, it would be to lighten the grey color used for the text background on the index pages. It looks kind of jarring in contrast with the white background on already-read threads.

Stark skin v3.0

Targaryen skin v3.0

These look amazing Goat, ive been anxiously awaiting these new versions since you told me about them. Well worth the wait, I am digging the Stark skin.

I noticed the same thing Kat noticed, threads that ive already read, are the same Grey as threads i haven't read yet. Im using Mozilla, otherwise amazing. You did a great job with these skins.

EDIT:

It seems i was wrong, threads ive read are showing up as an extremely light Grey or white. So they are showing up as a different colour than non read threads. Again great work Goat.

Edited by ICE CROW

These look great for me on Chrome. Thanks so much. If I were to suggest one improvement, it would be to lighten the grey color used for the text background on the index pages. It looks kind of jarring in contrast with the white background on already-read threads.

I will see what other suggestions come in and issue a new version soon with a lighter grey for unread threads.

no safari, eh?

Unless Apple decide to allow developers to release add-on apps for the browser the answer will unfortunately remain no.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

For anyone that finds the colour schemes of Westeros too distracting, too difficult to read or hard to get away with while at work, help is at hand with these handy alternative Skins.

Stark skin v3.0

A plain white background with muted grey tones, perfect for keeping a low profile while in the workplace.

I love the more simplified look, but also like the forum colors, any chance for a streamlined, more easy on the eyes version of the current skin?

Hi gubemton

I'm not sure how that should look exactly. Do you just want to remove the parchment style background? Should all the colors remain unchanged or just certain bits? If so can you be more specific about which parts of the page should retain the default colors and which should be changed? Are you after lighter variations of the sandy and blood red colors or something different entirely?

I'm not sure how much time I'll have to work something up but I'll help if I can.

• 6 months later...