[BOOK SPOILERS] The Elephant in the Room

ZombieWife

Uh guys... IMDB only credits Sean with 3 or 4 episodes.... Ned won't even be around for half the first season.

Yeah, not sure about that. Ep 7 is titled 'you win or you die'. I'm picking that's the fateful episode. Ep 8 being Arya's escape where she actually gets to implement Jon's good advice of sticking 'em with 'the pointy end'.

Seems like an impossibly few episodes to squeeze all the pre-death stuff into 7, esp given Ep 1 doesn't even get anyone out of Winterfell. And then only 3 episodes to deal with the immediate aftermath.

Yeah, not sure about that. Ep 7 is titled 'you win or you die'. I'm picking that's the fateful episode. Ep 8 being Arya's escape where she actually gets to implement Jon's good advice of sticking 'em with 'the pointy end'.

I think it is more likely to be the cliffhanger of Episode 9, 7 will more likely deal with the fallout from another fan-favourite character's death and 8 will be where the shit hits the fan.

I think it is more likely to be the cliffhanger of Episode 9, 7 will more likely deal with the fallout from another fan-favourite character's death and 8 will be where the shit hits the fan.

Yeah. Talking with the husband last night, he felt that Mark Addy stole the show. That will be another serious blow to him. I am not sure how he will react with his two favorites dead.

My husband is watching mostly because he is a huge Sean Bean fan (and because I am obsessed :P ). I haven't had the heart to tell him what happens. However, I really think that by the time Ned meets his fate, the husband will be fully invested in the show.

Yeah. Talking with the husband last night, he felt that Mark Addy stole the show. That will be another serious blow to him. I am not sure how he will react with his two favorites dead.

Oooo.... please let us know his reactions! Over all, is he enjoying the show?

Right now he is loving it. His shock at Bran out the window was priceless. He just sat there staring at the black screen. Then needed to know that Bran lived

My partner had the same reaction! Equally good was his reaction when he figured out Viserys was Dany's brother!

Right now he is loving it. His shock at Bran out the window was priceless. He just sat there staring at the black screen. Then needed to know that Bran lived.

My mother is terrible with this. She kept asking if he died and I just said "well yeah, he was thrown out a window."

She responded by asking for the books. There goes that :P

I dunno, one episode to deal with everything that happens after Ned loses his head? I would think it needs at least 2. I certainly don't want them to gimp the Whispering Woods. So I'll split the difference with you and go for Ep 8 being when Ned gets topped.

I think the viewer response will be very much like -- DEXTER SEASON 4 Spoilers!!

Rita's Death

I was like :shocked:

And it will definitely happen in episode 9. In the books, it happens almost precisely 90% of the way though. Following that, we have

Jon's attempt to flee the Night's Watch, Dany's smothering of Drogo, the spawn of the dragons, and the "King in the North" scene, along with everyone's reactions to Ned's death. Just enough for one episode.

I guess I find this question a bit odd because it's hard for to imagine that a very high percentage of viewers who become real fans of the show (as opposed to just casual watchers who aren't paying much attention or view it with someone else they live with who's the real fan) won't have this issue "spoiled" for them by the time they see it.

With all the possible sites on the Internet for people to see information about this show (the Wikipedia synopsis certainly mentions the fact of Ned's execution), all the possible ways for this to be hinted at or revealed in TV or radio interviews about the show, and all the possibilities for real fans (who will almost surely want to talk about the show with others) to have this information accidentally revealed to them by someone who's read the books -- plus the likelihood that a lot of real fans will search out the book itself to read it -- I really can't believe that more than a small proportion of TV fans won't know this is going to happen before they see the episode it's in. I think a real fan would have to quite deliberately and actively AVOID being "spoiled" not to know about Ned's death before it happens, and frankly I don't think most human beings will be able to pull that one off. This just can't be a surprise to the average TV fan the same way that a big plot twist in a series which is NOT based on a bestselling novel can be.

I think the viewer response will be very much like -- DEXTER SEASON 4 Spoilers!!

Rita's Death

I was like :shocked:

I cannot describe the level of shock this left me in. I sat on the couch, just wide-eyed and stunned for at least 10 minutes before the roommate came back into the living room and asked me what was wrong...

If the Elephant-Room spoiler has half the OMG/WTF?!? effect that did, people will be in the streets.... I can't WAIT!

I cannot describe the level of shock this left me in. I sat on the couch, just wide-eyed and stunned for at least 10 minutes before the roommate came back into the living room and asked me what was wrong...

If the Elephant-Room spoiler has half the OMG/WTF?!? effect that did, people will be in the streets.... I can't WAIT!

Yes, if they can do it as well as that Dexter spoiler it will be nothing short of amazing. That Dexter finale gave me a feeling that stuck with me for the next two days. I guess it might differ a bit from GoT in that it wasn't that it happened that was the major thing for me, it was that you indirectly knew how it went down.

It's worth noting that the tone of the events that will almost certainly close Episode 9 will provide a very different feel from the Dexter S4 finale. Dexter pulled the rug out from under what would have otherwise been a fairly routine happy ending (for Dexter, at least); he's dispatched of the Big Bad for the season and is returning home to his son, then... thunk, jaws drop, twitter explodes with omgwtf's, and we cut to black at the end of the season.

The feel of Ned's death will be very different, I think, because at the time at which it occurs, viewers will think that we're already at Rock Bottom. The shit has already hit the fan, Ned's been down in the black cells, the majority of his men have been killed, Varys has threatened to kill Sansa if he doesn't confess, he's been promised he'll be able to take the black, and the mindset of the viewers will assuredly be, okay, at least he'll be on the Wall with Jon, at least he'll be able to do some good there where we know there is some heavy shit going down, because there's no way they're actually going to ... wait, what the f... what the FUCK?!?!?!?!?! Dude, they just cut his fucking head off! What the ... woah, wait, holy shit! Just as Ser Meryn picks up the severed head and displays it for the crowd, we smash to black, credits.

Dexter's S4 finale was a wham moment, to be sure, but not of the sort that really gives the viewer the feel that the entire fabric of the story just changed, at least not in the way that Ned's death should feel if done right.

That's what has me most worried about it, to be honest. The degree to which viewers identify with Ned as the single "main character" of the show might make his death all the more impactful, but it also will take the wind out of a lot of sails, I think, who were watching it to show how he eventually got the better of the Big Bad Lannisters and are not going to be as interested as the story devolves into the giant glorious political mess that we all know it becomes.

It's worth noting that the tone of the events that will almost certainly close Episode 9 will provide a very different feel from the Dexter S4 finale. ...

The feel of Ned's death will be very different, I think, because at the time at which it occurs, viewers will think that we're already at Rock Bottom. ...

Dexter's S4 finale was a wham moment, to be sure, but not of the sort that really gives the viewer the feel that the entire fabric of the story just changed, at least not in the way that Ned's death should feel if done right.

That's what has me most worried about it, to be honest. The degree to which viewers identify with Ned as the single "main character" of the show might make his death all the more impactful, but it also will take the wind out of a lot of sails, I think, who were watching it to show how he eventually got the better of the Big Bad Lannisters and are not going to be as interested as the story devolves into the giant glorious political mess that we all know it becomes.

Agreed. Although I'm not as worried about people getting turned off the show because of it. Even if most viewers are still calling Ned the main character, I think by that point they will have already begun to think of it as more of an ensemble cast. So it will be a major shift in the tone of the story, but it's one I think viewers will have been prepared for.

Archived