[No Spoilers] Opening credits

Kat

Next week we lose Pentos and get Vaes Dothrak instead. Later episodes will also feature the Eyrie.

I'm guessing we'll also get the Twins and maybe Riverrun (depending on how far they get down that road), maybe in the season finale. Possibly Lhazar as well, which would be interesting if it gave us a glimpse of Slaver's Bay downriver. We may also get the Crossroads Inn: it's on the map but:

It doesn't feature on it in Episode 2, where a reasonable amount of action happens there. It's more pivotal I think in Episode 4 so may appear there.

Season 2 I imagine will bring Storm's End, Pyke, Qarth, Harrenhal and maybe Craster's Keep and the First of the First Men into play as well

Don't forget Dragonstone.

(it's a shame that we might never see a clockwork Highgarden or Casterly Rock...)

I really love the music for this intro. That being said, here is my top 5 intro music themes of some of the similar shows from HBO, Starz, or Showtime.

1. The Pillars of the Earth

2. Game of Thrones

3. Rome

4. The Tudors

5. Camelot

While I liked the close up and more dynamic shots of the gear-work cities, the inter-cut rings and fire and whatnot felt like it was from a completely different set of credits. More dynamic lighting on the map would help a lot there, as well as better camera choices as a whole.

The theme works as a theme, but as an intro it feels very repetitive and never quite builds into anything solid for me.

Honestly I find it odd that the credits were one of the things I cared least for after all these years never even considering that I might not like them.

I loved the credits too, but if they are changing every week, does that mean they are going to be extended or does everything move faster?

Loved the clockwork Red Keep - absolutely stunning!

So it starts with what looks like a city falling (is that a volcano? I've had to switch to my backup monitor as the main one's broken and it's dark as hell), a dragon and waves with five people. The Doom of Valyria? Not sure what the five people means, unless they are going with idea that the Targs escaped from the Doom to Dragonstone, rather than have been there for a century when it happened. Then when we get back to the orb it looks like a stag is striking down the dragon and at the end is standing triumphant next to a lion.

There's actually a stag, a lion and a wolf taking down the dragon in the middle one. And at the end there's just a whole bunch on animals kneeling before the stag.

I loved the credits too, but if they are changing every week, does that mean they are going to be extended or does everything move faster?

They stay the same length, but they drop locations not featured in the episode (for example, I suspect it will be a very, very long time before we see Pentos in the credits again, and it's certainly gone in Episode 2) to clear the way for others. An interesting one will be when they have more locations in an episode, but in that case I suspect they'll trim some of the sequences.

Another idea:

Do you think the heraldry on the gears will change to reflect the books?

Examples in Season 2:

Storm's End has Stag head over heart of R'hollor rather than just the stag

King's Landing has Stag/Lion instead of just the stag

For good and for ill, the opening titles were my favorite part of the episode. Can't get enough of them! ^_^

Anyway, what is the spherical device revolving around the sun? Is it a device at all or is it just an artistic flourish to go along with all the gears?

For good and for ill, the opening titles were my favorite part of the episode. Can't get enough of them! ^_^

Anyway, what is the spherical device revolving around the sun? Is it a device at all or is it just an artistic flourish to go along with all the gears?

It looks like a gyroscope.

It looks like an armillary sphere to me. Only instead of recording the seasons, it's recording the history of the world.

Cool. That is indeed exactly what it looks like.

Yeah it's pretty awesome. At first I thought it might just be spinning rings such as those that are used in telescopes, which would make sense given that we zoom into the land. However, on a second viewing I noticed that it had a gimbal, and given its movement and that a gyroscope measures and/or maintains orientation when it otherwise can't be done, I figured it to be a gyroscope. So much thought and invention went into these opening credits, LOVE THEM.

It looks like an armillary sphere to me. Only instead of recording the seasons, it's recording the history of the world.

Yeah I thought because of the celestial properties that it could be that too!

Whatever it is, it's awesome. I love the music too!

I hope they will fix the wrong house sigils for the DVD/BR edition of the show. Having this stuff being wrong then would not be that, well, interesting.

I must say I'm not really happy with the credits. They look too mechanical to me. It did not really connect with me. I don't associate this with Westeros, or Fantasy in general. The same is true, in my opinion, for the sun clock or whatever this thing is supposed, although I really like the relief about the Westerosi history from the Doom to the War of the Usurper.

They could change that in season 2 as well, and give us the story of season 1 in the reliefs.

Archived