[Possible TV SPOILERS] Music and Sound Design

lynxx

OK, so I was happily re-watching Episode 1 several times before I realized that there actually was theme music and elaborate sound design. I was so caught up in the story and the visual feast that audible Westeros was entirely subliminal for me.

Dialogue tells us what to think, but music tells us what to feel. The main theme and title music is rich and stirring and a bit barbarous, unlike anything I have ever heard before. I believe Danaerys has an identifying theme, perhaps other characters and places do also. I hope somebody who knows something about music will comment on this.

As for the haunted forest north of the Wall, it is very noisy! Even without visible monsters, there are strange growls and chirps, icy snaps and crunches. You never see what makes them. Overall, there are low, sustained, eerie electronic sounds which convey dread and foreboding. I was just as freaked out as poor Will and Gared, for no obvious reason.

Anybody else enjoy this part of the production as much as I did?

I loved it. Random highlights for me...

The opening credit theme was probably the most hummable, which is how it should be. Not any particular emotion evoked, but it was just really cool and it worked.

The short piece of music when Winterfell is first being shown onscreen, very somber, yet regal. You knew you were in a place where honor and duty are valued.

The transition from Ned and Robert in the crypts ("The Targaryens are gone." "Not all of them...") to Dany staring forlornly across the Narrow Sea from the manse window. I can't really describe it well but I guess to me, it combined Dany's longing for a true home with a subtle undertone of the pain her family caused Robert. Gives me chills each time, it's a badass introduction to Dany.

I'm re-watching the first episode now, and I just realized that they frequently used a neat trick of having the sound carry over from one scene to the beginning of the next, when they wanted to stress a connection. For example, when Robert says not all the Targaryens are dead, you get a visual cut to Danny but the sound lingers a bit. Same thing with Dany and Drogo's wedding night into the final scene.

The sound editing in the final scene of Ep. 3 was amazing. I wasn't even consciously aware of what made the scene so great until CryFenril pointed it out in another thread:

The look on Ned's face and the slow change from clacking wooden sounds to clashing steel sounds was incredible - one of the deepest scenes we've seen yet, in five seconds, with no dialog. Sean Bean is blowing me away with his expressiveness. Perhaps the most subtle, yet still the very best, change they have made so far.

Dialogue tells us what to think, but music tells us what to feel. The main theme and title music is rich and stirring and a bit barbarous, unlike anything I have ever heard before.

I agree, the opening theme is very good and it suits the brilliant opening montage very well.

I believe Danaerys has an identifying theme, perhaps other characters and places do also. I hope somebody who knows something about music will comment on this.

Ramin Djawadi's score isn't very thematic, and it's used rather sparingly. This is not a criticism, though, I think the laid-back score suits the series. It makes more of an impact whenever music is used. The Dothraki do have a characteristic theme, though, although it's more abstract than melodic. There's also a recognizable but brief cue as we're introduced to Winterfell for the first time.

As for the haunted forest north of the Wall, it is very noisy! Even without visible monsters, there are strange growls and chirps, icy snaps and crunches.

The sound mixing and sound editing is well done. One of the first things that struck me in the first episode was the atmospheric sound: If you listen carefully as the big door opens you'll hear a lot of details which add to the realism of the scene. Not to mention the deep, rumbling bass from the LFE-channel (you really get the sense that this is a big, heavy thing). The audio mix also brings more atmosphere to several scenes in the first episode (when watching movies or TV series like this it's easy to forget that a vast majority of the audio is actually added in post. The sound effects are created or taken from a sound library and then mixed together in a mixing room).

You won't hear the audio at its best unless you watch the series in a "decent" home-theatre with full surround sound, though. But two-channel audio on a decent stereo is much better than the flat, anemic sound from your television speakers. If you've only watched the series with audio from your television speakers, you'll be blown away by the huge difference presented by a proper surround sound setup.

This seems fun, and looks like the thread to post it in. Enjoy.

Nice video, thanks, but just keep in mind that it's not an official video (it's a cover song).

YouTube is cool for watching videos, but I think it's hopeless for discussing topics in a constructive manner (spam, personal attack, no moderation, etc.) It's one of the reasons why I prefer to post on moderated sites like this.

Archived