[NO SPOILERS] Shoud I read or watch first?

sunday_girl

Watch, merely because you can enjoy the series for what it is and not be critiquing it and comparing it to the book non-stop.

Make sure you do get around to reading the book though because there are alot of good scenes that are going to get cut. GoT is a really easy read, I was immersed and managed it in 2 weeks.

For those that have read the series would you recommend that I watch the show before I read the books, or read the books first?

I've watched the first episode and LOVED it...I have the first book waiting on my study desk

That depends what you generally enjoy more: Reading or watching TV. If you watch the Series first, it will take something from reading the book(s) and you will be limited in the ways to look at the plot, the characters and so on. If you read first, you won't be able to enjoy the Series as easy as you might be without reading.

Definitely read first, no doubt about it. Two reasons:

The plot points are the same for the TV series and the books, so you can only experience them with surprise once - but there's no way those surprises and first-time experiences will have the same impact in TV format as in the books.

For example, take the cliffhanger at the end of episode 1, which you've watched. This was one of the most anticipated scenes for longtime readers of the books, simply because everyone remembers having read it, and because it marked a turning point in the series and defined what could and couldn't happen in ASOIAF. In the books, this plot point carries a LOT more nuances and meanings than Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (playing Jaime Lannister) was able to convey (although he's doing a fine job). In the books, the event and the way it is described is deeply nuanced and very much connected to something that happened in his past and to his general outlook on life. These are pretty much lost in the TV series, but having watched episode 1, you now know that this is going to happen, so it can never surprise you like that again. There are plenty of other upcoming scenes like this in the series, so get the full experience and the full range of meaning out of them - read the books.

Looking at it the other way around, the TV series is still a huge experience after reading, maybe even moreso because you pick up a lot of little details and easter eggs that the producers put in for the readers. For example, what did you make of stuff like:

- Daenerys' handmaid telling her the water was too hot for her?

- The picture of Daenerys standing in the pool with steam rising up around her like smoke?

- The group of mourning women briefly seen surrounding Jon Arryn's corpse?

- The man with the dog's head helmet in the king's entourage?

These details probably meant very little to you on first viewing. For readers, though, each of these elements in the TV series work as clever foreshadowing or references to stuff in the books that are pretty much there for the readers and lost on the viewers. These are extremely rewarding to see when you know what they mean because you've read the books first.

So, in brief, read first, because reading the plot will give you the full impact, and because the TV series will get more rewarding afterwards. It's a double win.

Like Den said: read first - there is a tremendous amount of subtext in the series that visuals can't convey effectively.

I spent 15mins after the show ended explaining things to the group of friends I had over for the premier.

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it...I think I'll read the book first, i think I'll enjoy the book more if I don't know what's going to happen

I think you made the right choice. Sitting through a few hours of TV while still knowing what will happen can be fun since things pass by very quickly. To slowly prod through a big book while knowing what to expect is less fun since every event you already know about takes much longer to arrive. Books will also always be better than an adaptation and it's best to experience the first time with all the details.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to thank you all again...I've read the first book, and have since watched episodes 2 and 3.I think reading the books first added a lot more depth to the characters.

I absolutely loved the book,but I wasn't a huge fan of how it ended...but I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of the books and also watching the rest of the show.

do not read first, the tv show so far has been massive disapointment because of how much i love the books. i imagine however that if you watch the tv series first it will be very enjoyable and then when you read the books it will still blow your mind.

For my part, even though I know books are always beter than their sceen adaptations (though I suspect Twilight may be the exception that proves the rule), I always have a hard time bringing myself to read a book once I've seen the Movie/TV adaptation. But even though some screen adaptations do annoying things to the source material I can always appreciate a screen adaptation for what it is if it is crafted by those who value the source material and they do a quality job. I totally support what denstorebog wrote.

So I'm definitely an advocate of read first watch later.

I think in your position, if you can keep from reading the whole thing in a week, it might be fun to read (and perhaps re-read) the chapters being covered each week (must be about 80-90 pages per episode) and for this season at least keep pace between book and TV. Of course you will read the other 4 books before season 2 comes along, but you have an unique opportunity here with season 1.

It depends on your personality. Some people who read the books just before seeing the show become all anal retentive about the differences and get distracted by it. Others handle it fine. (I for example read the books just 2 months ago, and I love the books AND the series different take on certain aspects)

I'd say this though - if you started watching a few episodes and THEN want to read through the book right now, I'd advice against it. Differences can be confusing. I'd suggest waiting to read until the season 1 is finished.

To conclude, my recommendation is: You can only watch some thing 'fresh' once. Don't waste it. The books will always be there. Wait until the season is finished, then read it all if you want.

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it...I think I'll read the book first, i think I'll enjoy the book more if I don't know what's going to happen

Yes, definitely READ FIRST.

Oh how I envy you. I wish I could read it again for the first time. < le sigh >

If you have the patience and discipline to go through the books (or at least the first book) and put off watching the series until after you're done, then by all means read first.

In my experience, reading the material before watching the TV/Film adaptation based on it is much more productive than the other way around, which almost always ruins the book.

In my case though, I'm just reading the part of the book I need to read for every episode before I watch that episode. LOL. Works so far.

I would actually say watch first. I feel like you'll enjoy the cliffhangers and the plot twists much more if you do not know what is coming. Also, like I'm pretty sure everything, the cinematic version will not live up to the excellent literary version. I have a group of friends/family that haven't read the series yet but are enjoying the show immensely. Needless to say, their guesses as to what is going to happen are WAY off and I think that magic will disappear if they get their hands on the books.

Watch the first season and then read the book(s). I doubt you'll have the will power to not barrel through the series to wait for the next season AND forgo reading ADwD but if you can, you'll probably enjoy it even more.

Just wanted to thank you all again...I've read the first book, and have since watched episodes 2 and 3.I think reading the books first added a lot more depth to the characters.

I absolutely loved the book,but I wasn't a huge fan of how it ended...but I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of the books and also watching the rest of the show.

I'm glad you read the book and enjoyed it. :) Speaking in general terms I think there's both pros and cons to reading the book first before watching the show. I think a lot of book fans get too caught up in the details and how the series deviates from the books and so they don't enjoy the series as much as they could otherwise which is unfortunate for them. For myself though, I'm glad I read the book, but I enjoy seeing how these characters a brought to life, and I have it straight in my head who is who, so I'm happy to not have to struggle to remember who is who which is not thing I enjoy when watching a show of this sort. I also love the fact that I can taunt my non-book reader brother about how I *know* what's going to happen and he doesn't! ;)

READ THE BOOKS!!!!!!

The TV series is great so far. It's always fun to have pen and paper transformed into a visual medium. This being said, the books are so detailed and layered that there is a ton of stuff that you won't get from the TV series. I would suggest you watch season 1 completely and then delve into the books as soon as possible.

NOTE - This is by no means a bash of the TV series.

I am reading and watching in tandem, and it is starting to cause confusion... I can't disipher what I saw or imagined from reading! I think back to episode 4, and wonder is that where I saw the dungeon with only 3 walls, ah ha! No that picture was formed in my imagination from the beautifully crafted words of Martin....

I plan to read the books staright through, and I am sure I will finsih the next book before the series starts and that is how I plan to move forward, book then TV. :)

The TV series is great so far. It's always fun to have pen and paper transformed into a visual medium. This being said, the books are so detailed and layered that there is a ton of stuff that you won't get from the TV series. I would suggest you watch season 1 completely and then delve into the books as soon as possible.

NOTE - This is by no means a bash of the TV series.

I agree 100% - If you have not yet started the books, wait until after season 1 is completed. Then read as much as you want. Reading in parallel as you watch is not recommended IMO, it would just be too distracting for most people.

IMO, I would read along with the 1st season and then marathon the rest of the books. You'll be finished just in time for Dance, you lucky freaking bastard.

There is plenty of subtext going in both and it'll make things a bit easier to piece together. It's not uncommon for first time readers to completely miss the big theories that are thrown around here.

Besides that, you definitely want to watch the show, at the very least, for the characterization. Rereading right now is utterly enjoyable with Carcetti running around as Littlefinger and Dinklage as Tyrion. Makes the reading a bit more visceral.

Archived