[NO SPOILERS] Shoud I read or watch first?

sunday_girl

I'm adding my vote for reading first.

I hadn't read the books until the show was in heavy promotions right before the premier. In fact, I had a vacation planned that week, so I bought GoT on the Kindle App on my iPad so I might have some reading to do on vacation. How glad I was that I did that! This is because I finished the first book in a matter of days and then read the next ones straight through. (In fact, I have no separate memories of what's in each book - so to me it's one big story.)

There are some major, major, sucker punches coming in the story. And my recollection is that some of them I saw coming just before they happened and based on the way that the POV chapters are written, I was in the character's head screaming saying "NO! DON'T DO THAT! OMG!" and they went right into disaster.

All of those major pivotal moments will be spoiled in the book and I think that the POV, written version gives an intimacy that the HBO version cannot match. You'll lose that if you watch first.

Enjoy!

I read the book first...and I think that was probably the best decision. The show is great, but you get so much more out of the books. I find it interesting that the show follows the book very closely, except the character Cersai, she's probably the one character that seems the most different between the book and the show.

I'm know on to the second book and can't wait to read the rest of the series.

I read the book first...and I think that was probably the best decision. The show is great, but you get so much more out of the books. I find it interesting that the show follows the book very closely, except the character Cersai, she's probably the one character that seems the most different between the book and the show.

I'm know on to the second book and can't wait to read the rest of the series.

Good that you're pleased with your decision. I guess there isn't a right or wrong answer in these situations; it's a matter of what works best for you.

I started the first book just before the series began, and stayed just ahead of the series for the first few weeks. It was great to experience them together. I loved watching the books come alive, and also having a deep understanding of most of the characters from reading. Since then, I've flown through the next two books, and have started the fourth. Happy reading!!! ^_^

Archived