Just finished reading Game of Thrones [No Spoilers]

Iciclefires

I agree. I think the switch to Essos is refreshing. You just know something fantastic is brewing. Its like when I was a kid, and I would by a tape/CD for the singles released on the radio...I would want to listen to those songs first, but after listening to the whole album, you realize the quality of the unrealeased songs, which can be just as good, if not better than the songs that led you to buy the album in the first place.

I would love to get a map of Westeros, to be made all vintage looking and frayed. would be an awesome decorative/conversation piece.

One of our members, Other-in-law, has made a fabulous series of maps. Perhaps you might contact him/her about permission to copy some for yourself.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/Gallery/Category/C48/

And welcome to the coolest series of books evah, and to the coolest place to discuss those books, evah!

I love to read. Finished the first book. Im going to start the second one soon. I want to listen to the audio book, since I spend a lot of time in traffic.

I kept telling people I would give them the first book when I was done reading, but changed my mind and want to keep it.

once in a random conversation with strangers about books we like to read, they enthusiastically recommended Robert Jordan's series. The Wheel of Time is my first fantasy series.I'm midway into book three of that series but am putting it aside to read Mr. George R.R. Martins books:)

On to A Clash of Kings.. :fencing:

I kept telling people I would give them the first book when I was done reading, but changed my mind and want to keep it.

This would be wise. Generally whenever I am reading any series, I find having the previous installments on hand is helpful. Every now and then, I need to go and check something I don't remember clearly.

This would be wise. Generally whenever I am reading any series, I find having the previous installments on hand is helpful. Every now and then, I need to go and check something I don't remember clearly.

yes, excellent advice, Ive already gone back to check a few things out while watching the series. I might also want to reread some of the first chapters now that im familiar with the characters and the places.

Just yesterday I finished reading GoT. It was soo awesome.

I feel so bad for Arya at times, but she is strong.

Why do readers feel bad for Sansa? I kinda feel like she is at fault for many things.

I love Arya, I hope she will be one of the most important characters in the series.

And I feel bad for Sansa too, she is naive and young and she hadn't much chance to make a choice, I mean her own choice, she was always pushed by others to do something (usually wrong) otherwise her life was at stake.

Just yesterday I finished reading GoT. It was soo awesome.

And I feel bad for Sansa too, she is naive and young and she hadn't much chance to make a choice, I mean her own choice, she was always pushed by others to do something (usually wrong) otherwise her life was at stake.

I want to feel bad for her but she makes me sooo mad. She is naive and a dreamer with stars in her eyes for Joffrey. the only time I felt bad for her is when they sentenced Lady to death:(

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I finished GOT and now a few chapters into Kings and LOVE it.

I feel so bad for Arya at times, but she is strong.

Why do readers feel bad for Sansa? I kinda feel like she is at fault for many things.

I think people feel bad for her because she's naive. In any other situation, her actions don't bring about the terrible events that played out in King's Landing. So while she is culpable, she was the victim of manipulation by some cunning and ruthless people.

Greetings all! Like many here I started reading A Game of Thrones after seeing the first couple of episodes of the HBO series. I've been a fan of fantasy for many years, but never picked up the books until recently. What a world I have been missing! I think this will quickly become one of my favorite worlds and stories.

After reading A Game of Thrones, I have a few observations on things regarding characters and such. Considering the unexpected turns that have already occured with Ned, I'm more than likely wrong though.

- Arya is one of my favorite characters in the book. She reminds me of what a young Eowyn would have been like, and will probably play a large role in the future books when it comes to the eventual ending. Great storyline with her so far.

- I'm not fully convinced that Jon Snow is truly Ned's. Ned exhibits too much honor throughout the book to have had a one-night stand/wartime relationship with anyone, and if I remember correctly even makes comment to that when Robert wishes to be able to go do it now. He may be Robert's son with Lyanna, and the "promise me" what his promise not to tell Robert. "The seed is strong", and Jon does have the dark hair of the Baratheons.

- I'm almost 100% sure that at some point Jon will become Commander of the Night's Watch. Mormont asking for him specifically as a steward and subsequent favor towards Jon (the sword, sending Allister away) tells me he's being groomed for the position.

- Tyrion is probably my favorite character in the book. His attitude on things is wonderful to read, and I think he's going to undermine the Lannister clan at some point. I think in the long term he wants retribution for the way he has been treated his entire life, and sees the "evil" things that the rest of his family takes part in. He's not quite a good guy, but more white than black for sure.

- What is Varys' story? Maybe it's coincidence, but his name is too close to the Targeryan names (Daenerys, Viserys, Arys) for him not to be related somehow. He mentions being a mummer (a word I love being used in this book btw) before he was a eunuch, but I would love more backstory on him.

- I think the Daenerys story is going to be very important in the later books. The way that she grew up in the book was very interesting to read, and the final scene of the book is one of the best endings I've ever read. Looking forward to see where her story ties into the Stark/Lannister arc.

Wow, that was a long intro. Anyways, glad to have found this forum, and look forward to more discussion as I get further along in this wonderful epic story.

I just finished AGoT this morning. It only took me 5 days and I couldn't put the book down. This is the first fantasy book that I've ever read and I am absolutely loving being sucked into this amazing alternate world. I started reading the book toward very end of the HBO series and I cannot believe how close they stayed to the book.

I am obsessed with Daenerys. She has got a major set of balls on her and I'm loving it. I am really confused about why she cannot be harmed by fire but her brother could. Seems strange. Does anyone know why? I miss Drogo already (and not just for the dreamy Jason Momoa. The love story that evolved between the two of them was beautiful.

Something from the book that I didn't catch while watching the show was Bran's "relationship" to the crows. When they were talking about the children of the forest toward the end of the book, I found myself wondering about the relationship between the Stark kids (and their connections to their dire wolves). Bran talks to the crow (at least in his dream/s) and was able to fly and that fell in line with the description of the children of the forest. Given the reemergence of so many long-forgotten mystical creatures, I wonder if there is a connection.

I cannot wait to start reading Clash of Kings tonight!!!! I'm going to my first year of law school in a month, so this is an incredibly helpful escape mechanism.

• 2 weeks later...

I read AGoT cover-to-cover yesterday and am totally hooked (and, yes, already face-down in ACoK). I love the way the politics are written; the crosses and double-crosses and compromises that keep the wheels turning (or not); it makes me sigh when I listen to the news and think about how people don't change, even across centuries.

I'm feeling a little clubbed over the head with how A Bastard/Tomboy/Cripple/Dwarf is like a Dwarf/Cripple/Tomboy/Bastard, See, in that We Do Not Fit In Society And Must Make Our Own Way, but it's easy enough to overlook, especially when the characters are engaging. (Actually, I have to admit, I like Sansa better than Arya, for no other reason than that I'm obviously supposed to like Arya better than Sansa - but I also think Arya is a really well-written character. She's irritatingly stubborn, impulsive, self-centered, and short-sighted, but those are pretty natural flaws for someone of her age and temperament.)

I expected to be annoyed with the Daenerys thread, since it's so removed from the other action, but I actually found myself looking forward to her updates like a dessert at the end of each chunk of Westeros action (and am bummed at how far it seems I'll have to get into Kings before we hear what she's up to). I think she's my favorite character, which helps.

Also, I couldn't believe how many times I'd think "just one more chapter" and then look up to see that two hours had gone by. I'm going to miss my stop on the train reading the rest of the books many, many times, I'm sure.

- I'm not fully convinced that Jon Snow is truly Ned's. Ned exhibits too much honor throughout the book to have had a one-night stand/wartime relationship with anyone, and if I remember correctly even makes comment to that when Robert wishes to be able to go do it now. He may be Robert's son with Lyanna, and the "promise me" what his promise not to tell Robert. "The seed is strong", and Jon does have the dark hair of the Baratheons.

Wow... that is a really great theory that makes a ton of sense.

• 1 month later...

I first heard of Game of Thrones on IGN when they wrote an article about the upcoming TV Show, at first I was not interested because it was a mess of characters.

Anyways once IGN released a intro do GoT, I became hooked, and I waited and waited until the TV Show began and I watched everything.

so I went ASAP online and got me an eBook version of GoT and an audiobook.

I started reading but I thought it would take forever to read the book, so I turned to the audio, but it turns out I am not a good audio book person as I lose my focus real quick and end up forgetting what was being said.

So I got back on the books, and started reading like a maniac, and in 3 weeks time, I finished GoT (last night 31 of August of 2011)

and I already am at the beginning of Clash of Kings.

A Song of Ice and Fire IS AWESOME!

I love this series, never have I ever been this hooked onto a series.

and I can´t thank HBO enough for brining it to the masses, and by doing such a faithful adaptation (as of Season 1 lol, since we know nothing of Season 2)

Please just tell me, I don´t care for spoilers, are there giants north of the wall, I recall Osha mentioning them in GoT and I am sooo curious to know

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. I think the switch to Essos is refreshing. You just know something fantastic is brewing. Its like when I was a kid, and I would by a tape/CD for the singles released on the radio...I would want to listen to those songs first, but after listening to the whole album, you realize the quality of the unrealeased songs, which can be just as good, if not better than the songs that led you to buy the album in the first place.

I would love to get a map of Westeros, to be made all vintage looking and frayed. would be an awesome decorative/conversation piece.

My experience with tapes/CD has been the opposite most of the time : /

Just finished AGoT. I had watched the TV series before reading the book, and I liked the ending, but hey, how good was not that last chapter in the book? I really, really liked it. Since Dany is my favorite character, maybe it is not that strange that I liked the last chapter though hehe.

I also ended up liking Sansa more and more, I really think she grew quite a lot. I her first chapters I was quite bored with her going on about all the perfectness she was expecting. But as the ending of the book came closer I think she showed how strong she is. She's put under a great deal of stress at a very young age, and she is still sane. Maybe an interesting future lies ahed of her.

Looking forward to reading A Clash of Kings now.

• 6 months later...

Archived