[Book Spoilers] EP102 Discussion

Ran

Line of the night was watching the Drogo sex scene where Dany switches things up. His face changes and it's obvious he's happy and my friend, who hasn't read the books, says in a barbarian voice..."Khal FEEL something!" I loled.

My first thought here was that people would be aflame about the changes (no "it should have been you" the addition of Ned talking to Jon about his mother, one or two more I'm forgetting) but I'm happy to see that people are accepting the change. I wasn't sure wha thtey were going to do with Dany/Drogo but they seem to heading off in the right direction with that storyline which is impressive b/c I would be stumped on what to do there as a TV writer.

Overall, great episode.

It's funny because the people that have watched the show with me think Theon is another Stark bastard. Not a good decision by the writers...

The problem I think they are faced with is that Theon hasn't had a chance to be properly introduced, and who he is is genuinely unimportant at this stage. Its not until Robb rides to war that who Theon is starts to even matter.

So, its important he be in the picture, but its not important that the audience knows who he is, so we have that just sort of hung out there.

When I read the book the first time, I didn't have a clue who Theon was until I started reading the second book. I know it's mentioned somewhere in the first book, but it was one of the many details I wasn't able to keep track of on my first reading. Anyway, I'm sure the it'll be cleared up who Theon is later on; it shouldn't impact viewers' ability to enjoy the show.

I do find it odd that Theon was included in the Godswood scene, but I liked how he so confidently pledged his people's help. That made me smirk knowing just how much "help" Theon and his people are going to be.

When I read the book the first time, I didn't have a clue who Theon was until I started reading the second book. I know it's mentioned somewhere in the first book, but it was one of the many details I wasn't able to keep track of on my first reading. Anyway, I'm sure the it'll be cleared up who Theon is later on; it shouldn't impact viewers' ability to enjoy the show.

I do find it odd that Theon was included in the Godswood scene, but I liked how he so confidently pledged his people's help. That made me smirk knowing just how much "help" Theon and his people are going to be.

I think that is great actually. I also missed Theon as being important at all when I read GoT, he was just another of the endless names of nobles. But when you read it again you suddenly start to notice things about him. I hope that is what they are aiming for in the TV series as well. But yeah they at least need to say his name a couple times.

I think the only way this will effectively work is Cersei later admits that the child didn't die of fever, but because she killed it.

Come on, Cersei wouldn't have killed her own child after risking her life in pregnancy and childbirth. In the book she just didn't want to go through it all for the sake of Robert's kid, since she already hated Robert. I assume that in the show they'll have Cersei give Robert the benefit of doubt for a bit longer than in the books, that's all. Hence, a common kid that died.

I am relived that they seem to be taking out the genealogy book, because Ned basing his accusation on it was just stupid, there were 5 or so generations and one Targaryen princess between people mentioned there and Robert.

Cersei's dead kid + Gendry + Barra will make the same point much more plausibly, IMHO.

And yes, Tyrion did think in ACoK that at least one kid of Robert's would have deflected suspicion. But he was speaking about a live kid, IIRC. A long-dead baby and after him a string of blonds wouldn't have quite the same effect.

I didn't feel like wading through 23 pages to see if someone had mentioned this or not, but did anyone else think the little crease (scar?) on Bran's forehead right before he woke up represented his third eye?

ETA: spelling error

I think the only way this will effectively work is Cersei later admits that the child didn't die of fever, but because she killed it.

Come on, Cersei wouldn't have killed her own child after risking her life in pregnancy and childbirth. In the book she just didn't want to go through it all for the sake of Robert's kid, since she already hated Robert. I assume that in the show they'll have Cersei give Robert the benefit of doubt for a bit longer than in the books, that's all. Hence, a common kid that died.

I am relived that they seem to be taking out the genealogy book, because Ned basing his accusation on it was just stupid, there were 5 or so generations and one Targaryen princess between people mentioned there and Robert.

Cersei's dead kid + Gendry + Barra will make the same point much more plausibly, IMHO.

And yes, Tyrion did think in ACoK that at least one kid of Robert's would have deflected suspicion. But he was speaking about a live kid, IIRC. A long-dead baby and after him a string of blonds wouldn't have quite the same effect.

I thought it was fantastic and more engaging than the pilot.

I've been re-reading aGoT lately and it was fun to see Tyrion order the same breakfast word for word as in the book, a nice touch that they'd devote a few seconds of screentime to that. I bet GRRM got a kick out of it.

Particularly good were Tyrion (I don't see where Mo Ryan's coming from here, he's pretty much perfect for me), Arya, the attempt on Bran's life which was executed better than I expected, and all of the Kingsroad stuff near the end, especially the showdown with Robert and Cersei. Sean Bean's bitter, delayed delivery of "Your Grace..." as Robert walks away was great.

The show looks amazing in HD, also.

If the few somewhat-lukewarm reviewers thought this was the weakest ep of the first six I can't wait for the rest!

Exactly, he needs a name...JORY even has a name! Theon is a bigger role than him...
Jory won't be around very long. It's pretty important that the audience can connect with the character to make his death at the hands of the Lannisters more shocking and meaningful, and underscore how devastating it is to Ned. There's plenty of time to introduce Theon to the audience, in contrast.

Particularly good were Tyrion (I don't see where Mo Ryan's coming from here, he's pretty much perfect for me)
One hundred percent agree. I feel sorry for her as a fan of the series, as Tyrion is obviously a favorite character of hers, and Dinklage is clearly not doing it for her. I think that's just a personal taste issue; luckily, I am not suffering the same way, I think he's nailing Tyrion in this episode beautifully.

I think the accent choice was made partly because he doesn't have a great English accent, partly because it fits the idea of Tyrion being an actor in his own life, who constantly has to use his "whit" and "chaaarm" (LOL) to overcome the obvious challenges he faces due to his stature. But for me, it works.

Am I the only one who never really thought the, "It should have been you," line felt right? It always felt to me like Martin wanted Cat to say something horribly nasty, but couldn't come up with anything better. It never quite made any sense to me that she would say those words.

I liked Theon going from, "I only take orders from your father," in episode one to, "Sure thing, Robb, whatever you say," in episode two. Certainly shows him to figure our which way the wind is blowing and then go in that direction. Now, if they'd only let viewers know what his name is.

Dinklage as Tyrion continues to steal the show. And the actor playing Jaime has his character absolutely nailed. Love it. The actor playing Mormont is excellent as well. I know the casting choice for Cat was last minute and somewhat controversial, but I've come to love it. Michelle Fairley is Catelyn for me now.

Looking forward to Drogo doing something other than Dany.

I don't have HD, but I'm so seriously considering a Blu-Ray player for when the DVDs come out. That way when I rewatch the show on it, I won't just be watching what I've already seen, but I'll be able to experience the HD goodness.

Am I the only one who never really thought the, "It should have been you," line felt right? It always felt to me like Martin wanted Cat to say something horribly nasty, but couldn't come up with anything better. It never quite made any sense to me that she would say those words.

Nope, you're not alone. I thought the line sounded a bit weird in the books. It would have made more sense if perhaps Jon had a love of climbing when he was younger, and therefore she blamed Jon because Bran started copying him. As that clearly wasn't the case in the book though, I thought it was not only weird but unnecessarily over the top. I just chalked it up to Catelyn grieving and not being able to think straight when I read it, but I think this is one of those cases where I prefer the adaption over the book (I know blasphemy! :D).

I didn't feel like wading through 23 pages to see if someone had mentioned this or not, but did anyone else think the little crease (scar?) on Bran's forehead right before he woke up represented his third eye?

ETA: spelling error

no

Archived