[No Spoilers] Was Cersei Sincere?

Snow's Ghost

In HBO's Game of Thrones - Episode 2, was Cersei's visit to Catelyn and her emotional outpouring over the death of her first born genuine? While watching last night, I was conflicted - we know Cersei is the Queen of Manipulation and Deceit, yet... Furthermore, the tie to Jon Arryn dying suddenly of a "fever" cannot be ignored - any connection? Ultimately, I believe Cersei wanted to see for herself that Bran was not dying and used the death of her first born as a reason to deflect any suspicion surrounding her and/or Jaime. Despite this, it was very interesting that Catelyn found the strand of long, blonde hair...

I want to know what others' reactions were/are to this...

As the episode stand in the TV series, the only reason to think that she might not be sincere is that she was the one who witnessed the initial push.

One possible clue is in Ep1, she mentioned to Jaime her worries about Jon Arryn's knowledge of the secret between her and Jaime, and she also urged Jaime to "do something" upon the two of them being discovered by Bran. So given that, it's debatable whether she's genuine or not in the scene in Ep2 with Cat.

Yet, it's still possible that that she is sincere.

At this point, there's just no good way to tell, without using material from the book that has yet to be shown in the TV series.

It is absolutely possible for her to sympathize and feel sorry for Cat while simultaneously hoping Bran doesn't get better. While I don't believe for a second that the words she says are true, I would like to believe that the sentiment is real.

Having read the series twice, I still had no idea what to make of this scene but all I can think of is that Cersei is full of crap. For one, she had just stated that letting him live was not a mercy and he would be better off dead. Two, as someone stated earlier, the comment about birds without wings is kind of a bad jape at that moment. Three, the comment about Robert beating his hands on the walls to show how much he loved her was off and came off as obviously untrue to me. It's clear by this episode that they have no love for each other and Robert makes it clear that he didn't love her from the start. All I see here is Cersei doing exactly what Tyrion thought Joffrey should do and in her case for more reason since she would want to divert suspicion.

Randomly, did anyone else find Catelyn's CSI investigation unnecessary?

I'm not entirely sure I like all of Cersei's portrayal. I always pictured her as very sharp and quick, and here Cersei seems more ponderous and slow to respond with her brow always knitted together. An example is the scene when Ned demanded why Robert didn't have Arya brought to him. I always imagined Cersei chastising him in a stronger tone, but in the show she just kinds of says it mildly as if she's making an observation instead of giving him a tongue lashing.

Having read the series twice, I still had no idea what to make of this scene but all I can think of is that Cersei is full of crap. For one, she had just stated that letting him live was not a mercy and he would be better off dead. Two, as someone stated earlier, the comment about birds without wings is kind of a bad jape at that moment. Three, the comment about Robert beating his hands on the walls to show how much he loved her was off and came off as obviously untrue to me. It's clear by this episode that they have no love for each other and Robert makes it clear that he didn't love her from the start. All I see here is Cersei doing exactly what Tyrion thought Joffrey should do and in her case for more reason since she would want to divert suspicion.

Randomly, did anyone else find Catelyn's CSI investigation unnecessary?

I'm not entirely sure I like all of Cersei's portrayal. I always pictured her as very sharp and quick, and here Cersei seems more ponderous and slow to respond with her brow always knitted together. An example is the scene when Ned demanded why Robert didn't have Arya brought to him. I always imagined Cersei chastising him in a stronger tone, but in the show she just kinds of says it mildly as if she's making an observation instead of giving him a tongue lashing.

I did find the investigation wrong - because it doesn't happen in GOT...

I feel like the investigation added to the show. I always thought that the implication that the Lannisters had something to do with Bran's condition was too much of an intuitive leap in the book. I mean, so a guy lit a fire to pull everyone out of the keep. Maybe he was just going to loot and a good place to start would be the resident nobles' rooms?

As for Cersei, I just feel like what we've ween so far that they intend on portraying her differently on the show than they did in the books and she is in fact sincere and regrets what happened to Bran. That doesn't imply she wishes him to recover and implicate her. Sincerity doesn't imply altruism or a willingness to face justice. She's sorry that it had to happen, but it did have to happen.

The scene is setting up two things:

1) Cersei's first born died in a manner similar to Jon Arryn.

2) Cersei clearly wants Bran to die. What does it mean that she says she will pray as hard for his life as she prayed for her first born? The implication is obvious...

Cersei is the deepest most well observed character in the show so far. Kudos to Lena Headley for her acting. Her multilayered scheming is apparent in this adaptation and you lose nothing in this respect if you have not already read the books.

Archived