[BOOK SPOILERS] Ep. 102 Discussion Part the Second

Kat

I like the scene between Cat & Cersei, but... "I never knew"?????

How is it possible that the wife of the King's best friend never knew that the King had a son -- his first born, who then died in infancy? This would have been the biggest news in the kingdom at the time. Producing an heir is among the most important functions of king & queen, and a subject of great interest to all the nobility.

Perhaps this comes up again later, and there is some explanation for secrecy?

I loved the scene between the three Lannisters, and Tyrion smacking Joffrey. The Stark girls are wonderful, and I enjoy watching Joffrey on camera (surprised to see he is shorter than Sansa - how tall is Sophie Turner?). I loved the Hound and his scene with Tyrion and I felt so sorry for poor Mycah. OTOH, Daenerys' handmaids are even more annoying on television ("it is known" :stillsick:) than they were in the books. I also missed Arya's line, "I didn't hurt you...much" from the books.

She's 5'9", certainly on the tall side for a grown woman and still only 15.

ETA: Nevermind, my google-fu skills fail! :thumbsdown:

Loved the episode and consider it superior to EP1. I can not knock any of the changes made and find myself amazed at how well everything was handled in every scene. Favorite scenes would include Ed Stark bulldozing his way through the Southerners at Arya's "trial" and the stare down between Joffrey and Arya. She held that sword like a master. Kudos to the way Dany's transition from meek trophy wife to aggressive leader is being handled. The sex scenes actually serve a real purpose here.

She damned well might have killed the kid growing inside her on the basis of something stupid...

It is one thing for her to have an abortion (as she did in the books) and quite another to kill a baby she risked her life to bring to term and experienced agony to birth! I don't see Cersei doing the latter, like at all. And yea, the curse of kinslaying.

The whole situation with Cersei, Robert and her kids would have been pretty much the same if they were Robert's - history is full of similar cases, of women avenging themselves on their husbands in the only way open to them - by raising the common sons to be their enemies. Personally, I always thought that the books would have been even better if Joff _could_ have been Robert's son and Ned was never sure, but given the boy's monstrous proclivities and his own enmity with the Lannisters _chose_ to believe that Joff was a bastard. A bit more like the "good" interpretation of Richard III.

BTW, am I alone in disliking the costuming of the main characters? Why all the drab colors, ubuquiteous leather and the same clothing for day-to-day living and royal feasts? Where are the silks and the velvets, where is the clear visual difference between the nobles and the commoners (which yes, even Starks displayed)? Why do the Starks wear so much black and very dark brown, instead of grey and white of their House? Why is nobody obviously wearing their sigils? IMHO, "The Borgias" are doing it much better - it is instantly obvious who is a noble and who is a stable-hand and they do change their wardrobes when occasion requires it.

Thanks to Ran/Linda for linking to this on Facebook.

Cousin arrested in GoT squabble

Pretty funny that two young adults (I use the term purely in its biological sense) could get into fisticuffs over the show.

Do not click below until you have read article!

I blame Podniestrzanski

Maia - Are you sure the child was brought to term? Clearly it was sufficiently developed to be recognizable as a person, but the description of a bird without feathers could just as easily apply to a third trimester fetus.

Maia - Are you sure the child was brought to term? Clearly it was sufficiently developed to be recognizable as a person, but the description of a bird without feathers could just as easily apply to a third trimester fetus.

I had the same question. I need to go back and watch that scene again because when I saw it the first time, I was sure that this was a miscarriage (or "miscarriage") Cersei was talking about.

They haven't established Cat's hatred for Jon, and now it is too late. That's not a problem in itself, I like Cat as portrayed on the show. Where it will become a problem is when Rob names Jon his heir, it is her panic at the very notion that leads to her further actions regarding Jaime. So, I don't know how they will handle that. It doesn't happen until next season, and TV shows are not great for continuity.

Thanks to Ran/Linda for linking to this on Facebook.

Cousin arrested in GoT squabble

From the police report: "Both subjects are cousins to each other..."

Really? I'd expected Mr. Ross to be Mr. Podniestrzanski's cousin, but what are the odds that Mr. Podniestrzanski is Mr. Ross' cousin as well?

In fact, I would say the description doesn't just apply, but implies that. Yeah, newborns can look like that for a little while, but that description sounds more like a premie than a full term baby.

I had the same question. I need to go back and watch that scene again because when I saw it the first time, I was sure that this was a miscarriage (or "miscarriage") Cersei was talking about.

Nah, she says the child died of fever, thus it must have been a live birth.

Well I'll say this, I think my entire family (out of the five of them only one has read the first book) has become hooked after this episode. Even my Dad, who I thought would hate this kinda thing. So I'm damn impressed.

I'm not afraid to admit a couple of the direwolf scenes brought a tear to my eye too.

Oh yeah, my Dad is English and an accent snob. Tyrion is his favourite character so far. Stop whining about that shit, the man sounds fine.

In response to someone from the last thread:

Claiming Dinklage's chosen dialect for Tyrion is all a part of the character's mocking nature seems like a band-aid for an off performance by wishful thinkers. Although if he drops it and speaks like everyone else when he should be scared straight (Which should happen quite a bit during and after Cat takes him) I'd admit I'm wrong on that. He sounds like a cartoon, and if he's doing that intentionally then somebody within the story should react to him as such.

At the moment, I'm left wishing that Bronn somehow loses his duel.

I'm not talking about Tyrion's accent, but his entire manner. It's clear from the books that he and Jaime have different senses of humor, although they both have a lot of humorous or sarcastic lines, but Jaime is much more laid-back in his delivery, whereas Tyrion is more up-front about it. He can play the jester, the fool, because people don't expect much of him due to his appearance. (See: several dwarves employed as jesters in the books.) His family should be used to it by now, and everyone else just doesn't know how to react. Why should they? He's the queen's useless brother who has weird habits like reading and constantly visiting brothels. He's like the class clown.

I just think that if you're playing a character who uses humor as a defense mechanism, it's appropriate for that character to sound a little affected, and I'm fine with Dinklage playing Tyrion the way he is playing him, voice and all. Maybe it's just because I've hung around some people with really strange affectations in my life, like my former housemate who would constantly put on this 50's sci-fi narrator voice and persona. He knew he was a strange guy, and everyone else knew it, so why pretend otherwise?

They haven't established Cat's hatred for Jon, and now it is too late. That's not a problem in itself, I like Cat as portrayed on the show. Where it will become a problem is when Rob names Jon his heir, it is her panic at the very notion that leads to her further actions regarding Jaime. So, I don't know how they will handle that. It doesn't happen until next season, and TV shows are not great for continuity.

How haven't they established her hatred for him, the look during the archery lesson during the first episode was very icy and showed that there was issues between the pair. And when Jon went to visit Bran before going to the wall she again treats him to icy glares and tells him to get out. The conversation with Robb outside further promotes the fact that their is the issue that she dislikes him and that the others know of it.

Come now Sword, just admit it, you hate all black people!

:rofl:

I would hate to get on the wrong side of Sword by quoting this, but it's just too funny....

"It should have been you" is the single weakest line of the first book and I'm ecstatic that it was removed.

Agreed. It just doesn't make sense to me.

How haven't they established her hatred for him, the look during the archery lesson during the first episode was very icy and showed that there was issues between the pair. And when Jon went to visit Bran before going to the wall she again treats him to icy glares and tells him to get out. The conversation with Robb outside further promotes the fact that their is the issue that she dislikes him and that the others know of it.

Hey you - Stop making sense.

:)

Are you kidding me? Uh, yes they did.

Point one: Visually showing her glare at Jon after the archery lesson. And Jon's obvious discomfort from said stare.

Point two: Having Jon tell Benjen that Lady Stark thought it would be an insult to seat a bastard at the feast. In the show, he's not even allowed to be present, whereas in the book he just can't sit with the other kids.

Point three: "I want you to leave." Okay, it's not, "It should have been you," but it feels the same. And again with the glaring.

Point four: She flat out tells Ned that he came back 17 years ago with a bastard, and he's leaving again. She's not happy about it. On the contrary, she's pissed.

You may not have her inner monologue, but the subtext of her lines and looks are the same. And I think Fairley is doing a stand-up job selling this.

ETA: Iceman, you made me :rofl: Honestly. I know this is totally an "in-joke," but my god. :lol: You're right. He hates em. (Love you Sword!)

Archived