[TV/BOOK SPOILERS] Anyone else

L’Age d’or

So throughout the years, my friends have always been bewildered by my fascination (sometimes addiction) with books,especially fantasies, anyway I managed to pump them up for HBO's GOT to an extent that they were pretty eager for the show to begin airing. So for the past two weeks we have been watching the episodes together (three of my friends and I) with me adding commentary whenever needed. Its a tiring but fun thing to pause the show and add something or clear an ambiguity, still its a bit hard trying to keep it spoiler free since you have to distinguish between what information is common knowledge and is useful to know and what will come later as the story progresses. All in all it makes the whole experience more entertaining for me, any of you with the same situation? If yes, whats your thoughts on it?

ETA: TYPO

I watched the first episode with my elderly sister, she said it was a bit intriguing, but she don't have the channels were she lives, and therefore I can only show her the episodes when she's visiting.

I have also watched the first episode with three friends, and the second with two. I think at least two of them are hooked to the series now! The other said it seemed "like a normal fantasy series with a simple plot", if he keeps watching he will notice that that is not the case!

Going to watch it as a marathon with some of my non reader (currently non viewer) friends. 10 hours of GoT, yes please!

Maybe that's a better idea, it's easier to get into a show when you see everything at once.

I'm watching it with my brother who is not a big reader, but he enjoys fantasy type shows a lot, and I knew he'd be interested. His best friend who also hadn't read the books came over to watch it with us.

So far they both seem to enjoy it (though my brother was REALLY grossed out by the incest. LOL) and are interested to see more. I did tell my brother and his friend some of the backstory (nothing in too great of detail though) in order to gain his interest, but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have said anything and have let him discover it as the show reveals. Oh well, there's plenty of twists and turns up ahead for them both (and I didn't drop anything about the Tower of Joy. I hope they'll give us a flashback).

This past week was funny. I'm watching with my gf, who just started GOT, and my brother who just finished it. My gf was mad Lady died and she is really hoping Nymeria comes back. My brother was really pissed when he finished the book and Ned lost his head and Drogo died. His complaint is he invested a lot getting to know the characters and now they are dead. I have a hard time keeping a straight face when he hope Jaime gets it and Robb kills all the Lannisters.

This past week was funny. I'm watching with my gf, who just started GOT, and my brother who just finished it. My gf was mad Lady died and she is really hoping Nymeria comes back. My brother was really pissed when he finished the book and Ned lost his head and Drogo died. His complaint is he invested a lot getting to know the characters and now they are dead. I have a hard time keeping a straight face when he hope Jaime gets it and Robb kills all the Lannisters.

:rofl::rofl:

I'm watching it with my brother who is not a big reader, but he enjoys fantasy type shows a lot, and I knew he'd be interested. His best friend who also hadn't read the books came over to watch it with us.

So far they both seem to enjoy it (though my brother was REALLY grossed out by the incest. LOL) and are interested to see more. I did tell my brother and his friend some of the backstory (nothing in too great of detail though) in order to gain his interest, but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have said anything and have let him discover it as the show reveals. Oh well, there's plenty of twists and turns up ahead for them both (and I didn't drop anything about the Tower of Joy. I hope they'll give us a flashback).

Stuff I tell them is info like the mechanics of their weather, how they got two seasons and they take years to end, or Theon's background. Info on the rebellion of Robert and who were the targaryens and shit. My friends are total strangers to fantasy and dont have much background regarding how things worked in an ancient kingdom (concept of wards, the exact status of lords compared to kings and lesser lords etc). But they are totally hooked now and dont need much additional info anymore which is good thing since they can enjoy the show on a whole new level.

I'm watching it with my non-reader boyfriend, who oscillates between asking me probing questions and forbidding me from revealing what he thinks is "too much". I'm mainly struggling to keep a straight face, while saying as little as possible. He was totally shocked when Jaime pushed Bran in the first episode, mainly because he expected him to fall on his own, and told me "this one will turn up later beyond the Wall as a White Walker, I reckon!" Quite an eerie prediction!

PS. So we can both enjoy it ad-free, and before he gets sleepy, we're two days behind US and one behind UK... makes it damn hard to visit the forum for two days, but oh well!

I did actually, just talked about it on my podcast with a friend of mine who hasn't yet read the books (he's just starting now).

Also wanted to share a little story on that note. You know why I think this show is going to do well, beyond the great acting and all that? Earlier today I was out playing horseshoes with my father and a bunch of his friends. All good guys, but they're your typical have a few beers, watch the game, play some horseshoes, etc. type guys, not book readers, not really into fantasy (they have nothing against it, my father likes Lord of the Rings, but not way into it or anything). So we're playing horseshoes and one of them looks over at me and says "Oh so I was just watching this new show on HBO, Game of Thrones, good shit!". Then my father jumps in with "Oh yeah I saw that...the guy who was fucking that blonde chick seemed pissed at her" (I think he had only seen the first episode at this point). Then his friend goes "No no that's her brother", to which my father responds with "Her brother?!? Shit!".

Look, this show already has us, the book readers. And it already has the geek crowd. If the show, after two episodes, already has these guys watching it, talking about it, and enjoying it? The show's gonna be huge.

One friend of mine came to me the other day saying something along the lines of "So I started watching this new series, Game of Thrones, you heard of it?" Then I giggle a bit and tell him I've read the book series it's based on. And watched the episodes.

It's rather funny hearing non-reader's speculations on what's about to come and what the things in the episodes mean. At least that one friend of mine was pretty confused about a lot of things, but I let him ponder on most of those on his own. I gave him some background and explained a bit about the houses, but that's about it.

I have managed to recruit some friends to watch the series, but I myself don't watch it with anyone, and frankly, I don't think I would/could.

I think of watching GoT as a private act :D

Besides, my relative would be too wimpy to watch it. My mother would be all "ew, sex scene, ew blood" :D

In fact, I find it interesting that so many people are managing to watch the series along with people from across three generations without feeling uncomfortable! :)

I have managed to recruit some friends to watch the series, but I myself don't watch it with anyone, and frankly, I don't think I would/could.

I think of watching GoT as a private act :D

Besides, my relative would be too wimpy to watch it. My mother would be all "ew, sex scene, ew blood" :D

In fact, I find it interesting that so many people are managing to watch the series along with people from across three generations without feeling uncomfortable! :)

I watch the episodes alone the first time then with others, I only watch it with my friends. Honestly I would not feel comfy watching tryrion whoring or Jaime nailing Cersei with my dad and mom lol but maybe thats just me. :blush:

Archived