[NO SPOILERS] GOT in the media

Kat

Basically what it says in the title. If you've found an interesting article, blog, video, recap websites, etc. that you want to share without starting a new thread, this is for you. Let's collect links. Please add spoiler warnings to your links if they contain them, and put

tags on your commentary as needed.

I think the positive reactions that Sean has garnered for his portrayal of Ned is fully deserved, so it's nice to see that Sean himself is becoming aware that people like his performance:

When MTV caught up with Bean about a month ago to talk about the upcoming series (premiering tomorrow), he said he was a bit unaware of the way fans have embraced his casting.

"I'm not really familiar with computers and blog sites and stuff like that, but I've heard some good things," Bean said. "So that's encouraging. They seem to think I'm a suitable choice for the role so I'm flattered by that."

Source:

(MTV) 'Game Of Thrones': Sean Bean Is 'Flattered' By Fan Reaction To His Casting As Ned Stark

In his GoT-interviews he's enthusiastically praised the books and the TV show, and he seems to be genuinely proud and satisfied about being part of GoT.

I remember one interview in which he stated that it was a chore (or something to that effect) to do interviews after having done a bad movie, because he'd have to say a lot of positive things even though the movie sucked. But that wasn't the case with the GOT -series, he said (I don't remember where I found the article, but if someone else know which interview I'm talking about, then by all means post the link in this thread).

There's a nine page article about Game of Thrones in the June edition of Empire, which was released on the iPad a few days ago. The article characterizes the show as a "remarkable achievement", and it does a good job of presenting the show and the ASoIaF-series to those who haven't read the books yet. The author of the article obviously knows what he's writing about.

The article did not reveal the reasons why two of the main actors (Tamzin Merchant and Jennifer Ehle) were replaced. The original pilot (directed by Tom McCarthy) had to be re-shot, and Tim Van Patten (who has directed episodes for The Sopranos, The Pacific, Boardwalk Empire, Rome, Deadwood, Sex and the City, etc.) took over as director for the first two episodes. One reason for this major change could be that HBO wasn't quite satisfied with some of the actors and with McCarthy's pilot, but that's just speculation.

Here are a few quotes:

Sean Bean:

It's Lord of the Rings ... but with sex. Yes, this is a fantasy world, but one with real edges to it: brutality, sex, violence. It's not a happy-go-lucky fairytale, it's much more layered and profound than that.

Empire:

Game of Thrones is a vast, dynastic saga of feuding houses, political manoeuvring, alliances and betrayals, stuffed with such niceties as murder, incest and high reason. ... This is a brutal, realistic world, and while fantastical elements do exist, ..., the supernatural takes a firm backseat to the story's all too human protagonists, whose plotting, backstabbing and frequent, shocking deaths form the meat of its fiendlishly compelling story.

David Benioff:

Oh God, that's one of the those things I really regret having said. Just because it's such a vast oversimplification -- though one that served its purpose. I mean, look, the truth is, when we first came in to pitch this to HBO, they had never done anything remotely like this. ... I think True Blook was the tipping point, though. That was a huge hit and really helped open them up to new possibilities.

George R.R. Martin:

[The fans] don't really like me travelling, they don't like me writing anything else or watching football or any of the other things that I do occasionally and then blog about. They just want me to be working on this day and night, and it does get a little wearing sometimes. But, you know, that's a good problem to have. Ninety-nine percent of the writers out there would love to have this problem, and would love to have millions of readers eagerly waiting to buy their book

George R.R. Martin:

The great sci-fi boom in Hollywood came out of the success of Star Wars, but fantasy didn't have have that breakthrough until much later with The Lord of the Rings films. My hope is that this series will show that you can do fantasy on television and that it doesn't have to be for kids or teenagers -- you can do fantasy and you can make it adult

Not sure where to properly post this but had to share. Just came across this one:

But what will happen to bin Laden in the next life?

Jimmy Fallon disclosed that the 72 virgins supposedly awaiting the al-Qaida leader in paradise had turned out to be "just some dudes watching 'Game of Thrones' on HBO."

:lol:

Archived