Cast listings

Werthead

So both Whyte and Wilding were White Walkers? Which is odd because only one (the 'Hero White Walker', played by Wilding) is prominently featured. A bunch more are way back in the background when Gared is beheaded, but there's nothing to distinguish a second White Walker from any of the others. Curious.

We already know this might be the case from Frank O'Sullivan being credited for 108 but not 109 when he appears in both episodes (though we don't have confirmation the Longclaw scene was moved from 108 to 109, but if not O'Sullivan's exclusion is weird).

Whyte is a "Dothraki brute" according to many online sources. Which one I'm not sure, since I can't find a picture of him online.

Whyte is a "Dothraki brute" according to many online sources. Which one I'm not sure, since I can't find a picture of him online.

There's a picture of Whyte in the link I provided. He didn't play a Dothraki. The link goes to his agency's site, so I'd say they know better than some random wikipedia editor.

The fight in the wedding was done by stunt actors.

edit: Oh yeah, Ian Whyte's IMDb page also has several pictures of him.

Ian Whyte @ IMDb

So for Episode 10 we have Steven Blount, Gerry O'Brien, Vincent McCabe, BJ Hogg and Faolan Morgan.

O'Brien is Jonos Bracken and McCabe is Rickard Karstark. Presumably the two Northern lords debating which king they should declare for.

Two of the other three are the Lannister bannermen debating in Tywin's tent (going by the books, one of them is Harys Swyft, IIRC). The third one, I'm not sure.

So for Episode 10 we have Steven Blount, Gerry O'Brien, Vincent McCabe, BJ Hogg and Faolan Morgan.

O'Brien is Jonos Bracken and McCabe is Rickard Karstark. Presumably the two Northern lords debating which king they should declare for.

Two of the other three are the Lannister bannermen debating in Tywin's tent (going by the books, one of them is Harys Swyft, IIRC). The third one, I'm not sure.

This one brings a new twist to what to believe with agent's web-pages and actor's CVs.

Steve Blount's CV claims he was Lord Karstark in an episode of GoT directed by Alan Taylor:

Steve Blount CV

But we already knew McCabe played Lord Karstark (also found in his CV on the net), so what gives? There's a picture of Blount in the link above, so maybe that helps in identifying who he played.

BJ Hogg is on IMDb with a picture, so he could be identified.

Also, Mark Coney was supposed to play Galbart Glover in some episode in season 1, but he wasn't credited in any episode. Did someone see him somewhere? According to this page, he was probably in episode 8.

Steve Blount's CV claims he was Lord Karstark in an episode of GoT directed by Alan Taylor:

Steve Blount CV

But we already knew McCabe played Lord Karstark (also found in his CV on the net), so what gives?

Steve Blount was the guy who spoke after the Greatjohn in the "King of the North" scene and he provided some of Karstark's lines from the book I think (something about making peace under this conditions).

So he could have played another character and they moved the lines, but this seems unlikely.

Galbart Glover is in Episode 8. When the Greatjon says, "I'm the man to lead your van," Robb says, "Galbart Glover is leading the van," and indicates the first guy seated immediately to his right, who seems to nod. The Greatjon then points at this guy (or in his general direction) and says, "It'll be a cold day in hell when an Umber follows a Glover into battle, I'll lead the van," and the same guy seated next to Robb doesn't look too hapy. So yeah, I'm pretty sure he's Galbart Glover (plus he looks like the guy in Coney's pics, though it's hard to tell for sure as he's at mid-distance with his side to us).

BJ Hogg is the Lannister bannerman at the debriefing with the silver armour and red shoulder pads. He says, "Is it true about Stannis and Renly?" and "No truce, we can't afford to look weak, we should march on them at once." In the books his closest comparison is Ser Addam Marbrand, though he's rather older than the book version.

Ah. 'Vinnie' McCabe is now being listed on IMDB as Lord Lefford. Which means he must be the white-haired guy who suggests returning to Casterly Rock to rearm. Which is bizarre as almost all of that guy's dialogue comes from Harys Swyft in the novel. Given Swyft is a bigger character (given his role in Book 4), it's surprising that they didn't make him Swyft.

Wait, no, he isn't. Someone changed IMDB to include McCabe as Lefford in Episode Five (huh?) and then someone deleted it. It's still cached through the Google search.

Still, looking at the pics, it does appear that McCabe is indeed the white-haired older guy at the Lannister conference table, whether that's Swyft or Lefford or someone else. Both of them could be put down as 'Lannister bannermen' for now, I guess, which means Blount is the 'real' Karstark.

Gerry O'Brien seems definitely to be the first guy who stands up and says that they must declare for Renly, which is the same role Jonos Bracken plays in the book, QED, that's him.

So, Stark bannermen:

Jonos Bracken - Gerry O'Brien

Rickard Karstark - Steve Blount

Lannister bannermen:

Guy with Addam Marbrand's lines - BJ Hogg

Guy with Harys Swyft's lines - Vincent McCabe

So that leaves Faolan Morgan. That's a male Irish name, which doesn't help the situation much. Google returns no answers beyond GoT sites mentioning him in conjunction with this episode. so he's likely a very minor extra. EDIT: Ah, the guard who says, "Lady Stark?" when she goes to see Jaime.

Oh, and just to throw things further into confusion, Mark Coney as Galbart Glover actually has a line! He's the guy who yells, "Renly is not right!" And is uncredited for it, despite having a line, when he had no line in Episode 8 and was credited for it. Bizarre.

Oh, and just to throw things further into confusion, Mark Coney as Galbart Glover actually has a line! He's the guy who yells, "Renly is not right!" And is uncredited for it, despite having a line, when he had no line in Episode 8 and was credited for it. Bizarre.

What do you mean Coney was credited in Episode 8? He's not in the credits for that or any other episode. So he was uncredited in both Eps 8 & 10.

edit:

I agree with your findings re: Stark/Lannister Bannermen and the Stark Guard.

What do you mean Coney was credited in Episode 8? He's not in the credits for that or any other episode. So he was uncredited in both Eps 8 & 10.

edit:

I agree with your findings re: Stark/Lannister Bannermen and the Stark Guard.

For some reason I thought he was. So I checked, and no he's not. That's me misrembering :)

• 7 months later...

I've been re-reading this one while working on the game of thrones wikia. I made some progress so I thought I would update here too in case anyone is still trying to figure this out.

In "You Win or You Die" I have found images of Graham Charles and Phil Dixon and an article that lists them both as part of the malta production. With this in mind I re-watched the King's Landing and Essos scenes from the episode and paired Dixon up with Tomard, the guard who receives the letter for Stannis. Charles plays Varly, the guardsman with Ned when he is summoned to Joffrey by the Royal Steward; he has a line warning the Steward to stay back. Tristan Mercieca is the last remaining Maltese actor so by process of elimination he played Varys' Little Bird in the Vaes Dothrak markets.

On the Northern Ireland side that leaves Dennis McKeever and Jeffrey O'Brien. Rewatching the North and the Wall scenes I can only find lines for Ser Jaremy Rykker ("Rangers with me) and Othell Yarwyck ("Builders"). I can't find any info on O'Brien but McKeever is in his 60s and is therefore most likely to be the grey-haired Yarwyck rather than the obviously much younger Rykker. Again by elimination that leaves O'Brien as Rykker.

There are links to the articles for the characters and the cast on the episodes page on the wikia:

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/You_Win_or_You_Die

Archived