[book and tv spoilers] Jon's heritage

navahgar

I am just rereading the series now, though I've read it many times before, and I'm always astonished at how many things I pick up or that I just forgot. If Lyanna really is Jon's mother, just think of the wonderful irony in this line when Tyrion and Jon are headed to the wall (Tyrion's POV): "He had the Stark face, if not the name...Whoever his mother had been, she had left little of herself in her son." Love it.

Jon, Lyanna was your mother.

What? Why didn't Lord Eddard tell me?

Because Robert Baratheon wanted all those of Targ blood killed.

Targ blood! What do you mean?

Well Prince Rhaegar is your father, which means Danaerys is your Aunt.

What you mean the Targaryen Queen who has come to claim back Westeros and has Dragons which

could help us fight the Others?

Yes and apparantly she cant have any children which makes you REALLY valauable Jon.

Hmmm i'm no scriptwriter of course, but geez this is a no-brainer for me. :)

Hopefully Jon made the connection that Eddard wasn't his father after the first line.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe it was just me knowing the theory but I felt that Episode 2 enforced that Jon mom is Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen from Neds reactions to Robert wanting to kill all Targaryens and immediate defense in rolling into questions about Jon's supposed mom. It seemed to flow too well.

Really, with Neds death before dishonor mentality and the secrecy there just doesn't seem to be any other logical conclusion. He's not likely to have a bastard due to honor and there is no real reason to take the child nor keep the mother secret if it's not that unholy union. The Game of Thrones is essentially my reread and it does seem obvious considering the political nature of what would have happened if there was another Targaryen heir that was tied to a big ally of Robert.

• 1 month later...

In my very crackpot version, Aerys has Lyanna abducted (most likely to punish her, if he discovered she was the Knight of the Laughing Tree) and rapes her. Then Rheagar wisks her away to the Tower of Joy to protect her and her unborn child. Jon would still a Prince, and a product of Ice and Fire. But, in my version, R and L aren't responsible for everything that follows, Aeys is.

(This really has nothing to do with the show version, as we've seen so little background...just wanted to get that out there as I haven't tossed around any crackpot theories for so long.)

This is my favorite theory as well. I don't think it's cracked at all. Makes more sense than two dutiful people throwing the entire realm in turmoil or any of the yucko incest theories.

Archived