Favorite Character so far?

brocklaser

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new here and actually just started book three but thought this might be a good place to start posting. SO glad to find this forum, it's awesome!!

My two hands down favorites from book one (and they still are)

1. Tyrion-Funny, smart, sarcastic, stands up for the underdog, good with kids-can't wait

to see what he'll say and do next.

2. Arya-I loved the way GRRM can write from a kid's point of view as well as an adults.

I could easily see all her chapters being pulled and making a great book by them-

selves-very entertaining. And I thought it was very true to life the way she loved

Sirio's teaching and did so well at it-but when it came right down to it the advice

she remembered was Jon's about the pointy end! I thought this was something that could

really happen to a child.

Other favorites:

Bran-I had heard that GRRM kills off a lot of characters and was afraid he was going to die right off the bat-so happy he survived. And it seems like he's going to have a lot of hidden talents.

Sandor-Very intriguing, I liked the way he showed kindness to Sansa-hope to find out more of him.

Sirio-a wonderful teacher and willing to risk his life for Arya. I keep hearing all these theories about him-hope they're true!

Sansa-If everything she went through in this book alone happened to most girls her age, they'd be curled up in a catatonic state and in therapy for life. So I think she's a lot braver than some give her credit for.

Joffrey-I can't stand him but wanted to include him because I thought he was such a well written villain on GRRM's part. Every book needs a villain you love to hate.

Sorry this got so long-winded, love the books and this site!

I'm only about half way through, but so far love the Tyrion chapters the most- especially when he's with Jon.

I think of all the characters so far he has the most interaction with everyone else, and has the most... depth to him. A lot of the non-Stark characters so far fit certain archetypes (not really a criticism, there's a lot of people in this book) so Tyrion is a nice enigma. Somehow you're left wondering what his true motive is, even when you're seeing from his POV!

Couldn't agree more, those are some of my favorite interactions. It's interesting too that Jon's interactions with Tyrion are about the only genuinely friendly ones that Tyrion has with anyone...at all. Tyrion's POVs are always welcome amidst all of the other serious characters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am surprised that more people don't agree with me on Daenery's being their favorite character. She develops so much throughout this novel and manages to keep the Dothraki side of the storyline upheld through only her point of view.

After her I agree with the popular choice of Tyrion. He is intelligent and witty which not only lightens up a novel that would otherwise be fairly dark but he also manages to combat his enemies with only words. What could be a better literary character than one who relies almost entirely on words (of course the other percentage of his reliance is on money)?

1. Jon Snow. "The least useless person around here." One of the most awesome fictional characters I have ever seen!

2. Eddard Stark. The first character I got to know (from the trailer of the series), and both then and now, he occurred to me as awesome, with his strong sense of honour and loyalty.

3. Benjen Stark. For being the cool uncle type, and one of the highest ranking members of the Night's Watch. There's also something mysterious about him, which is exciting.

4. Syrio Forel. For being an awesome dancing master, and for his "last dance".

5. Arya Stark. For being a fighting girl, and much more likeable than her sister.

6. Barristan Selmy. Because he's the best fighter of Westeros, and the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, and is close to as honourable as Ned.

7. Daenerys Targaryen. I think she is a girl both wise and proud. Her relationship with Khal Drogo is also quite touching, actually.

8. Robert Baratheon. Just because of the quote "Quiet, woman!", and his relationship with Lyanna Stark.

9. Renly Baratheon. He just seems awesome. Even more so because of his offer to Ned Stark during his brother's final hours.

10. Tyrion Lannister. I have to admit that he's an epic dwarf, and the only member of that cursed family who is enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Tyrion Lannister: He's witty and cares for cripples and bastards.

2. Jon Snow: he rises to every occasion. He saved the Direwolves for crying out loud!

3. Syrio Forei: Just so

4. Tywin Lannister: because he put the E into Evil. The actor who played him in the HBO series was brilliant.

5. Eddard Stark - because Sean Bean played him so well

6. Bran: beautiful young boy who refuses to let his handicap get the better of him.

7. Robb: for fighting back

8. Robert Baratheon - for Mark Addy!!!

9. Catelyn for being Catelyn

10. Littlefinger for the audacity to tell people the truth and then go crush them with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, new here...almost done with Game of Thrones. Got into the books when I was educated about them via the HBO TV Series. I have to say my favorite character is Jaime Lannister! Love his wit, love his badassery- sure, he's involved in an incestuous relationship with his sister, but so what? Creepy, but that ain't harming anyone, and I don't approve of a lot of his actions but I understand why he does them. I can't wait to learn more about him. Sure he's painted as a "bad guy" so far but damn, he's still cool.

Not harming anyone? Did he really have to push Bran out the window? It could have killed him--and Jamie certainly thought it would kill him. I watched the first episode before starting the book, and even I thought Bran was dead.

My favourites are Tyrion, although his father underestimates him, he seems to be the smartiest Lannister (except for Lord Tywin). He may not be a brave knight like Jaime, but he can replace a sword with his brain.

Also, I started like Catelyn, I think she's the stronger and marvelous woman in the book, she's just looking for protect her children and the honor of the family, but not in a insane way as Cersei.

favourite PoV character: Daenerys

favourite secondary character: Ser Jorah Mormont

favourite (as yet) minor character: Lord Beric Dondarrion

character I enjoy hating most: Joffrey

character I like least: Sansa

character I admire most: Varys (Yes, that's right! And proud of it! :-))

Daenerys, hands down and mostly thanks to the first book.

I love many characters, but I wouldn't mind if Dany flew to Westeros and blew them all away with the dragons. Even if she didn't, GRRM would probably find a way to exterminate most of them, so she might as well kill them all. xD

Poor Bran, I think only one person included him on his list. It's a tough world when you have the likes of Tyrion, Arya, and Daenerys to compete against.

I kept expecting there to be more to Bran, seeing as the beginning suggests that he plays a pretty crucial role - and he does, but not because of his character, really. He seems like a nice kid and I feel sorry for him, but like you say, he pales by comparison to the bigger personalities (especially Arya, who's almost the same age but much stronger in character).

I love the way these books are written - they don't really have ultimate good guy, or the ultimate bad guy (well, Joffrey was pretty horrible). So, I think it's pretty hard to choose.. Few of my favorites would be Arya, Jon, Dany, Drogo, Tyrion, Littlefinger, Sirio, Ned.. I loved Benjen and Sam, too..

I like that too... at first I thought it was a bit lame that it came across like 'Lannisters = bad' and 'Starks = good', but as time goes on it becomes much more complicated.

Anyway, favourite in the book was Tyrion or Arya (to be predictable). Wasn't certain about Tyrion in the series but seeing things from his POV in the book really helped me to like him. As for Arya- gotta love a strong, ambitious girl, as well as an honest character among all that deceit and lying. And I like how it's not about wanting to be a boy - I love how she objects to being called 'boy' - it's about being her own person and defying those gender expectations.

• 2 weeks later...

I would have to say for 'favorite' character to read it is Jon Snow as I am enjoying following his struggle to find his place in the world. But the most 'interesting' chapters for me were definitely Neds, as his held the most information and clues to what is going on. Non-POV favorite character would be The Hound as from the number of times he is brought up it is clear he plays an important role at some point further on.

• 3 weeks later...

I do love Tyrion's wit, but I really can't call him my favorite character - that goes to Ned Stark, that honorable man. He's amazing. I also love Arya and her spirit. And Bran...awww, Bran, I can't help but love him. Renly is just super awesome. Catelyn...I hate how she treats Jon (whom I really liked at the beginning of the book, but not so much now) but I admire her strength and devotion to her family.

Oh, and Jaime Lannister. I don't know hardly anything about him. But damn, he's hot. In the books.

Archived