[BOOK SPOILERS] Television Without Pity n00bs thread

TheEvilKing

This thread is to talk about people who are talking about the show.

I love reading this.

These folks come out with some completely crackpot theories, some hilariously unforunatley remarks, and some rather astute theories. My favourite today:

I think the Lannisters had nothing to do with Jon Arryn's death. They are definitely ruthless, but it's just the beginning of the story and we're constantly told "They're eveil, they totally did it!" by other characters, so that makes me think there's more to the story. Let's face it, they are the perfect fall guys, they are known to be power hungry, Jaime is the kingslayer, many people including the king don't seem to like them etc..

I think there's someone else pulling strings behind the scenes, probably Jorah's (that's the name of the guy with Dany, right?) "true king", who wants to get rid of the Targaryens (a threat to his own ambitions), King Robert (has the throne), the Lannisters (very powerful and rich), the Starks (too honorable to support him) and everyone else who stands in his way to become king himself.

It makes sense, doesn't it? Kill Jon Arryn, which leads to him being replaced with a Stark, drop some hints that the Lannister's did it and watch them jump at each others throats after a few months while you sit back and wait until at least one of your enemies is gone, it doesn't even matter which one.

Nice. Took us three books to work out how clever Littlefinger is. Took this chap 3 episodes.

Oh man, I love TVWoP. But, that's because I've always read their skewering of some really bad TV shows or episodes or plot devices. Seeing their take on a story line I love is going to be very odd...? Fun...? Excruciating...? :lol: Guess I'll see soon. I see they have recaps up already. But I'll save reading them for a bit. Have to steel myself. ;)

semi-preemptive mod hat:

Keep in mind that the board has a 'no trashing on other boards' policy (see FAQ), so keep the discussion about stuff posted there, not TWOP itself and definitely not about any particular person posting in that thread. If you want to do that, go sign up over there. And, as we're essentially doing the virtual equivalent of talking about people behind their backs - and I will be enforcing this with an iron fist - Be. Nice.

- Your sweet and mindful mod.

The poster might also be a book reader in disguise. I think his theory is not supported by what has been seen so far in the show.

Ya, I've gotten that feeling about a couple of the post.

<-this guy's reviews (linked episode 3 review, but he's done one for each episode thus far), are full of hilarity for anyone who has read the books. He's going soley by the show, has not read the books and is actively avoiding spoilers.

Some of my favorite misconceptions from him:

-The White Walkers are a massive tribe of Wildlings who control everything north of The Wall.

-He describes Viserys as a very cunning, intelligent, manipulator.

-He is under the impression that Robert Arryn was the previous king, and King Robert's father, not the previous hand. (He may have realized this was incorrect with the most recent episode, but I remember him making this mistake in an earlier review)

It really makes you realize how many things are poorly explained in the show thus far, it's definitely interesting to get a perspective from a non-reader.

It really makes you realize how many things are poorly explained in the show thus far, it's definitely interesting to get a perspective from a non-reader.

On the other hand, I've seen several people I know are non-readers figure out very quickly whose kids Cersei's three children really are...and there was a thread linked to here (from somewhere else) a few days ago, in which (buried among a ton of more or less clueless/confused posts) was someone who had come up with R+L=J based pretty credibly on just what was there so far and the HBO viewers' guide. (If I remember right, the logic went "Ned says Jon is his blood, Ned's sister is dead, Robert says that prince guy raped her a hundred times, so maybe.....")

What's also odd to me is to see the number of people who think that Jon is Ned's son...by Cersei. (In other words, that Jon was cersei's 'dead' dark-hared child!) I guess Cersei's story is filling in the misdirection role that Ashara Dayne (who we haven't seen...maybe she was written out) plays in the books.

Prince douche-bag Joffrey! After Tyrion bitch-slapped him thricely, that guard of his said something like, "He won't forget that..." to Tyrion! I guess the only loop-hole here is he would have wanted the dagger to be found... and that assassin didn't look the type to leave an apparently very expensive dagger behind...

Took us how many books to deduce this?

Of course, he's wrong on a few details, but he's hit the jackpot.

Apparently, the show did not stress Littlefinger's name enough...on that thread, I've seen "Mr. Pimp", "Creepy Guy", "Lady Stark's Lover", and "The Owner of the House of Ill Repute".

:rofl:

Mr. Pimp is the best name for him. I think I shall refer to him as such from this point forward.

I think there's something about the TV medium that makes people instantly look for twists and subversions. It usually only takes one strange piece of dialogue to set people's mind racing.

I think it helps that people have a week to gather their thoughts and discuss in between each episode.

Okay, some posters on Television without pity forums (http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/index.php?showtopic=3204374&st=150) are just ridiculously good at guessing :stunned: . Many of them already suspect Jorah has a different agenda (some already think he's working for Varys), and it recent post one poster suggested Joffrey sent an assassin to kill Bran.

Still, suprisinly low number of posters even consider the possibility that LF is lying about the dagger (and indeed, they already invented several good nicknames for Lord Pimp :pimp: )

Okay, some posters on Television without pity forums (http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/index.php?showtopic=3204374&st=150) are just ridiculously good at guessing :stunned: . Many of them already suspect Jorah has a different agenda (some already think he's working for Varys), and it recent post one poster suggested Joffrey sent an assassin to kill Bran.

Still, suprisinly low number of posters even consider the possibility that LF is lying about the dagger (and indeed, they already invented several good nicknames for Lord Pimp :pimp: )

Well, it wasn't hard to get suspicious about Jorah. They scrutinize every scene and as soon as Jorah hears that Dany is pregnant he gets a funny look on his face and says he needs to ride to Qohor. You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to think that something is going on there. As for guessing that Joffrey sent the assassin to Bran is also not a far stretch when you start from the angle that the knife belongs to Tyrion but Tyrion is too likeable to have sent the assassin so someone wants to set Tyrion up and the one person that already has a grudge against Tyrion because of the slaps is Joffrey.

I like that they think everyone is suspicious. Some even think Ser Rodrick Cassel and Maester Luwin look fishy.

It is exciting to watch all this "new blood" join the group, more future readers! D&D warned them in the pre-show interviews that they would learn very quickly to be afraid for their favorite characters. That thread is going to be fun to read. Thanks for the link.

That thread is the single greatest thing to ever happen in the history of the Internets. I might look forward to the "noobs" speculating the morning after more than the episode itself.

Agreed. Truthfully, even while watching the show, one of my favorite things to do is watch the expressions of my non-reader friend who has been watching with us.

I'm also a fan of that OtakuAssemble youtube user who has been making stream-of-consciousness reviews of each episode. Funny shit!

Seems quite a few really hated the Bob/Barristan/Jaime/Lancel scene.

Specifically because it was so, incredibly boring (and frankly, Addy was playing it rather broadly, really chewing it up), I'm assuming there was something important in there. Otherwise, oh my gosh, that was mother-load "Let me tell you about my angst and woe, then I'll tell you about my woe and angst. After that there will be a side helping of whinging and whining." scenes.

The things I can think of as important exposition in this scene are establishing:

1) Bob was an awesome soldier before he got fat and boozy

2) Bob is now bitter and twisted about the fact that he's fat and boozy and no longer an awesome soldier (perhaps just a tad pissed that Ned still has the soldier chops)

3) Bob hates his kids, and his wife, and the fact he's surrounded by Lannisters.

It accomplishes a fair bit as a scene not from the books. Is this and the Jorah/Blood rider scene the first scenes not to involve a book PoV character?

Perhaps the n00bs might appreciate this scene a bit more as they get further into the series?

Archived