[BOOK SPOILERS] Television Without Pity n00bs thread

TheEvilKing

Certainly. But... I don't buy that the person drawing an Arya-Lyanna comparison that has never been made explicitly on the show isn't a Bookwalker. ;)

Exactly. When I read that I was like, you fucking douchebag. I was positive that "snowwolf" was a Bookwalker in disguise from their first post. There's a couple of others that I'm pretty sure about as well.

There's a lot of sad things on the internet - but pretending not to have read the books only to falsely appear informed to people genuinely trying to enjoy the show on its own merits - that's really pathetic. Oh gee, you ruin it for them and/or you appear like you are savvy - d-bags. All of 'em.

Exactly. When I read that I was like, you fucking douchebag. I was positive that "snowwolf" was a Bookwalker in disguise from their first post. There's a couple of others that I'm pretty sure about as well.

There's a lot of sad things on the internet - but pretending not to have read the books only to falsely appear informed to people genuinely trying to enjoy the show on its own merits - that's really pathetic. Oh gee, you ruin it for them and/or you appear like you are savvy - d-bags. All of 'em.

Someone should play the part of Young Will and go warn the Spitballers to be aware that there are definitely Bookwalkers in their midst. You'll even get your head chopped off for the privilege, because Bookwalkers are banned from that thread. And who knows, maybe the Spitballers won't believe you.

Charles Phipps is a poster on this very site. At least we also have a poster called Charles Phipps whom I have seen about for the last few years.

I agree we should let them watch and judge for themselves without any prodding from others, That is a fun thread to read.

Even if they haven't read the novels, they could be looking up spoilers. No way to really stop them, but I do recommend calling out anyone too obvious.

Calling out the obvious ones though would confirm what they "spitballed" as true and make it an even bigger spoiler. If any action is to be taken I would say someone could point this out to a mod over there but that's tough to do without being 100 % sure. Any efforts we might take may succeed in getting a person or 2 banned but it won't necessarily solve the problem.

I don't necessarily think that we should take any action, but it really does suck reading that thread while having these suspicions.

Calling out the obvious ones though would confirm what they "spitballed" as true and make it an even bigger spoiler. If any action is to be taken I would say someone could point this out to a mod over there but that's tough to do without being 100 % sure. Any efforts we might take may succeed in getting a person or 2 banned but it won't necessarily solve the problem.

I don't necessarily think that we should take any action, but it really does suck reading that thread while having these suspicions.

Are we contemplating internet humanitarian intervention here?

They've been called out. Multiple times. And pointed out to mods through PMs. Leave it be.

If you're wondering, the reason they're up still is because removing them would give them undue attention.

One of them also used Theon's name several weeks ago well before it was given on TV. They could have gotten it from the HBO character guide, but that was still during the point where most of them were avoiding the guide as too potentially spoilery.

Wow look at this one:

Good Lord...

lmao I loved that theory. It made me actually wish the books had been written that way. Sure the plot would have wound up completely different, but Robert being a savvy character hiding behind a charade of drunken debauchery just sounds so awesome I want it to be true :(

Certainly. But... I don't buy that the person drawing an Arya-Lyanna comparison that has never been made explicitly on the show isn't a Bookwalker. ;)

Totally agree - because that case is like the 'lice' thing - mentioning something that's said in the books and not referenced at all in the TV series.

From the TWoP newbie thread today:

Now regarding the parentage of Jon, regardless of whether or not Lyanna was kidnapped or she wanted to be with Rhaegar, it's possible she died in childbirth isnt it? A high fever usually accompanies sepsis, which is an infection that was likely common during childbirth back in Medevial times. Perhaps she was rescued and already pregnant, and had the kid at Winterfell or en route to Winterfell, though it sounded in epi 1 that she was "brought back to Winterfell" already dead, to be entombed there, is that what others heard or is it just me? If that's so, then she'd already have had to have the child, Jon, at wherever she was being held captive. Assuming Ned did not rescue her alone, someone or other must have been with him and likely would have seen/known a child was involved. So if this scenario is true (and I'm not committing one way or the other yet), then it seems like there would be others who would have been with Ned during the rescue of Lyanna and would know there was a baby. So, re reading that para, does that scenario make it more or less likely that Jon is Lyanna's child? I'm confusing meself!

Is there ANY way this isn't a direwolf in sheep's clothing? I want Peter Dinklage to smack this person. Even the attempts to noob this post up are pathetic.

Oh geez. There's nothing in the TV show that indicates what Lyanna died of exactly is there? I want to strangle that person.

No there certainly isn't, although someone familiar with period stories could easily postulate that childbed fever is a possible scenario of her death, so I would let that slide if not for the stuff I bolded. But exactly how do you make the leap to Ned (along with a party of others) rescuing Lyanna just based on what has been presented in the TV show??? You don't. Period. You have my full permission to strangle the person after PD smacks them :)

One of them also used Theon's name several weeks ago well before it was given on TV. They could have gotten it from the HBO character guide, but that was still during the point where most of them were avoiding the guide as too potentially spoilery.

I think knowing Theon's name is pretty normal. HBO was promoting the viewers guide like crazy in the lead in to the show, and Theon's character also got explained in a couple of the previews.

Is there ANY way this isn't a direwolf in sheep's clothing? I want Peter Dinklage to smack this person. Even the attempts to noob this post up are pathetic.

Wow. That is the worst I've seen by far.

I hope all those posters also check this thread, so whatever twisted pleasure they get from pretending to be a n00b will be spoiled by the knowledge that they utterly failed and are being mocked for it.

Yeah I guess it's not a HUGE stretch that they could honestly speculate about Lyanna being Jon's mother and dying in childbirth (as so many women did in that setting), but you're exactly right. That part about her being rescued by Ned is so very painfully obviously some moron trying very badly to pretend they are a non-book reader.

Yeah I guess it's not a HUGE stretch that they could honestly speculate about Lyanna being Jon's mother and dying in childbirth (as so many women did in that setting), but you're exactly right. That part about her being rescued by Ned is so very painfully obviously some moron trying very badly to pretend they are a non-book reader.

Correct terminology please, it's non-Bookwalker. :P

Man are those Spitballers going to be creeped out when they figure out who's behind Sansa's escape.

I wonder to what extent the (legit) Spitballer's good hit rate with their theories has been affected by the stealth spoiling of hidden Bookwalkers.

I do think a non-Bookwalker could get the personality link between Arya and Lyanna by, as previously suggested for knowing Theon ahead of time, watching the show with a Bookwalker who fills in a few details.

Makes me sad that this thread has devolved into simply trying to out Book-walkers. It was such fun when it was all about bringing us the excited suspicions and discoveries and theories of the invested nOObs that we all once were. Gave us all a chance to fall in love with all the mysteries and plots all over again. Alas, no more.

sniff...

:bawl:

I'm sure the personality link could come up from someone suggesting it... but that's practically a spoiler -- should the Spitballers really be using that? Up to them, I guess. But in the particular case mentioned, I think that one's just faking it, and some of the other cited are much more blatant.

Archived