The Doors of Stone

Board_Drifter

first thing i hope pat is going to finish the series with thiss third book i would enjoy more but i cannot wait for anther series like song of fire and ice.

now some wild theories :

1.did anyone see brandons last name could he be ambroses dad and diana patron if so i think that who kvote kills (after the royal family dies and he is crowned) at the present i think ambrose is king.

2. i know alot of people say jax/iax is kvote ancestor but could he be ambroses his last name is jakis.

3. i think the doors of stone are all the greystone like in robinns hobbs series i think the worlds collide and the doors are thrown open.

4. i think that auri is princess ariel and after ambrose rise to the thorne kvote finds out and leads a reblion. ( wich is the war that is raging in the present).

5.the amyr are presently evil and brendon is one of them (that is the human amyr. i think it split into 2 diffrent things the fea and the human. the human become corrupt and works with the seven while the fea was secert and small and fighting them.)i think the rumor kovte heard in severn that berndon had pegan rituals was true.

6. i do think brandon is diana patron in 95% he has a walking stick in the book it says his family colars are ash grey (mr. ash) plus ther was a part in the book wher kovte could not find diana in severn and when he send a card to brendon he was not there either.and lets not forget he is learing to dance and diana said her patorn was a good dancer.

• 4 weeks later...

2. What is behind the four-plate door? That, in particular, is killing me.

Me too.

I just reread The Name of the Wind and when Skarpi tells the story of Lanre, he says that the beast he defeats is "locked behind the doors of stone" so whatever is behind that door should probably be left alone. Or I guess the doors should not be opened without people round who know what to do about whatever's beind the door.

There's also lots of speculation that the Lackless box is a bit like the box of Pandora here: http://www.tor.com/features/series/patrick-rothfuss-reread, but what if the doors of stone have a similar function?

I also like your theory aobut Iax' box. Especially if you look at the linguistics: Loeclos>>Lockless>>Lackless

I have no clue about Auri, but there are some interesting theories int he reread, too. But I love her. I also love Elodin for that matter. He's just great, and I'm pretty sure it's not easy to write someone as nuts as him without it seeming forced or utterly ridiculous.

• 3 weeks later...

Newest theories:

Cinder is Denna's patron. I know this sounds outlandish, but think about it. Somehow Master Ash can come back from the Mauthen Farm massacre alive and say everyone else is dead. He has Denna write a story about Lanre the fallen hero instead of Lanre the huge traitorous douche bag. Deoch mentions that Denna leaves the Eolian with a "white-haired" fellow.

I've seen a lot of theories about Bredon. He obviously plays some role, but I'm not quite sure it's Fae-related. I feel like he's tied in with Ambrose somehow, but that's just a gut feeling, nothing more.

Who is Aleph? According to both Skarpi and Kvothe, he created the world, but I'm confused otherwise. Why is there no church that worships Aleph if Tehlu is clearly just one of his angels. Also, on the religion subject, Encanis and Lanre and Haliaz are all the same person. Encanis destroys six cities in Trapis' story; six cities are destroyed in Skarpi's story. Encanis is shrouded in deep shadow even in the heart of a bonfire; Selitos curses Lanre to be 'yoked to shadow' for the rest of his days.

"The singers", at one point in my opinion, were the Edema Ruh. The other two enemies, the Amyr and the Sithe, have been identified by both Kvothe and Bast, but the singers remain unknown. That's the only conclusion I can draw from that.

Feedback is greatly appreciated as I love educated discussions. Also, my Google Chrome spell-check is going bonkers on me.

I agree, that's a nice catch regarding Jax/Jakis. Seems plausible.

And I'd just like to reiterate that my own personal crackpot theory is that Puppet is Elodin's dad. Remember you heard it here first. :P

(I laid out the reasons I thought that in an earlier thread and i'm supposed to be cleaning the house right now.)

The Jax/Jakis relationship makes no sense. Jax isn't his real name; it's Iax. That is explained vividly. Iax just happened Jax in the story, just like I believe Elodin changed to Taborlin. It was just a name lost in translation over centuries of telling the story. Someone wrote their "i's" a little too sloppily and Iax became Jax. No Jax/Jakis relationship at all. Price of admission revoked.

• 2 weeks later...

for those who think denna patron is cinder its just not possible kvothe rembers cinder face very clearly see my earlier thred

for a much more resonable candite.

for #12 so what if it was iax name change in the course of history that dosn't mean jakis wasn't born from it

and by the way aleph is the first letter in the hebrew wich represents 1 or the begining.

in my opinion pattrick learned or knows some hebrew a lot of his words have a ring of hebrew edem sounds like adom which in hebrew is red edma sounds like adama with is earth/road

• 5 weeks later...

It still holds no water. However, does Felurian not say that the Fae are great at hiding among mortals? You think Cinder, one of the most powerful of the Fae, cannot disguise himself how he wants? That argument also holds no water.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1: Lady Lackless is Kvothe's Aunt - When he first meets her, he talks about how familiar she seems although he never met her before. Also, in the first book, there are hints that his mother was from a noble family.

I agree. You didn't mention the fact that in a song that Kvothe's father sings and that upsets his mother, it ends with the lyrics,

"It's worth my life

To make my wife

Not tally a lot less"

The key is the last line which when you say it quickly sounds a lot like Natalia Lockless. This is Kvothe's Dad playing a joke with a family secret.

2: Ambrose becomes King - there have been many mentions of how close the Jackiss family is to the throne (even closer in the second book). If Ambrose became the King, then I would completely understand Kvothe earning his title as "Kingkiller" by killing Ambrose finally.

I think this might be the case and that he does so through malfeasance; however, Ambrose is a minor villian compared to the Chandrian, so I'm wondering why the series would be named for killing a petty tyrant rather than the Chandrian.

3: Kvothe is caught behind the stone door in Stacks and kicked out of the University - We've been told that he was kicked out of the University for stealing something. Perhaps it was instead for stealing a glance at what was behind the stone door. He does have a knack for getting caught in misunderstandings.

Possible.

However, the doors of stone are also found in Lackless manor AND Skarpi mentions the doors of stone as the place Lanre sets "the enemy" (demons and such - terrible beasts) behind the "doors of stone" (Chatper 26).

Also, I think it is clear that the Amyr are guarding these "doors of stone". My guess is that Lorren is Amyr because he knew Kvothe's father and my guess is that he knows of him because he had his runner's investigate the Chandrian's massacre of Kvothe's troupe. Plus, Lorren is such a guarded, mysterious character. Finally, the inclusion of the "Puppet" character is important and related to the archives - clearly he is strange and is given special permissions, so I have to think that he may also be Amyr.

4: Denna dies - It's the only thing I can think of that would explain his complacency as the innkeeper Kote, especially if he blames himself for her death. It seems to fit that they [Kvothe and Bast] refer to Denna in the past-tense were she to have died before Kvothe became an innkeeper.

Yep. The other option is that he recieved a prophecy that he would kill her or do her harm and he's chosen to lock away his power and become an innkeeper to avoid something harmful happening to her. Personally, I think the flashback perspective really hurts a love story because we can only speculate on how it's doomed.

I think it likely that "Master Ash" is Cinder. His involvement with the wedding party and the fact that she is in the same region when Kvothe stops the bandits and fights one of the Chandrian seems like it is not just coincidence.

My guess is that the Chandrian end up killing her and that this sets up Kvothe's revenge killing of Cinder, but the remaining 6 Chandrian remain for the next trilogy.

5: Bredon is one of the Amyr or Denna's patron - the Cthaeh mentioned that Maer Alveron was close to the Amyr, it makes sense with the economy of characters Kvothe interacts with regularly that could fit the role of an Amyr. Plus it seems that an Amyr who focused on the greater good would be better at tack.

Possibly an Amyr, but he might just be a helpful noble that allowed Rofthfuss to give us exposition on the intrigue surrounding the Vintish court. I don't know that we'll ever hear about him again.

My guess is that Lorren is Amyr because he knew Kvothe's father and my guess is that he knows of him because he had his runner's investigate the Chandrian's massacre of Kvothe's troupe.

Nah, Pat cleared up Lorren's interest in and knowledge of Arliden: (link)

How does Lorren know about Arliden?

Arliden had a productive career as a songwriter, not to mention that he had a fairly high profile gig as the lead trouper in Greyfallow’s Men.

As such, we wrote a lot of songs, many of which were recorded and attributed to him. But there are a lot of songs in the archives that have been collected and aren’t attributed to anyone. Lorren was going to ask Kvothe for his assistance catalouging these before Kvothe had his hissy-fit at the end of Chapter 36.

There. That’s a little secret nobody knew before. See? I’m not total a-hole about keeping things to myself.

Entirely, and appropriately, academic. This isn't meant to puncture a popular theory, only the use of a particular situation as evidence for that theory.

• 2 months later...

Awhile back I said I thought Cinder died at Kvothe's hands. Rereading a chunk of WMF I realize it sorta hints that no Chandrian are killed by the end of the Trilogy.

I actually hope that's the case. As strong as Kvothe becomes I think it'd be ridiculous for him to kill one of the Chandrian with his limited powers. Wounding one should be enough.

I still suspect Haliax will outsmart him and use him to open the Doors of Stone. Iax is probably the only person who can grant him Lanre death after all.

• 3 months later...

Archived