[Book Spoilers] Dreams/visions in the TV series

El Duderino

I don't have any insight, but I have some guesses!

I still think that Bran's three-eyed crow dream can be fit in. I can see Bran describing the experience to Robb and/or Maester Luwin.

At any rate, taking away Bran warg abilities completely eliminates his story (and likely his purpose) in the series, so I don't think they'll be gone from the series. For wolf dreams, all we have to do is follow Summer doing his thing, and then have Bran wake up and be like, "OMG I was a wolf in my dream!" with some eerie music playing. And then have the Reeds explain it like they did in the books.

As far as Ned's Tower of Joy dream, I think it'd be a huge mistake to omit that. It's also a lot easier of a dream to do, since it's a memory and there's nothing supernatural about it (nor does it feature a talking crow).

Dreams are hard to do well. And when you deal with the hundreds of characters and locations of the show, you have an even greater chance of increasing the confusion of the audience by adding yet another "dream setting".

The dreams in AGOT don't really have any significance until later, so I think it was wise of them to concentrate on getting the immediate stuff as right as possible - and not waste crucial effort on things that won't pay off until season 3 or 4.

Good they removed the dreams. The dreams were painfully boring in the books and dreams are painfully boring on TV. The mix of both would just be intolerable.

Agreed and I'll also add that dream sequences under any context can be confusing and don't generally provoke a positive response among audiences. There are other ways to address Bran's dreams without going into extravagant detail. That said, I believe Ran (or someone who's seen the first six episodes) said the crow dreams would show up in some context, though in a format abbreviated from that of the book.

As for Tower of Joy, I think we're all hoping they work in a dream/flashback at some point for that one. It's too vital to the backstory to completely ignore.

The show is Game of Thrones, not ASoIaF.

Good they removed the dreams. The dreams were painfully boring in the books and dreams are painfully boring on TV. The mix of both would just be intolerable.

well that just like your opinion, man. the dreams/visions offered insight into possible future events and added a mystical element that is otherwise not very prevalent in the story to that point

Put me in the "want to see dreams, prophesies, etc." camp. First read of books, I didn't "get" their importance. Re-reads, I linger over them because they are so VERY important. They are part of the reawakening of the supernatural elements of the world -- gifts to a select few who, ironically, don't even seem to appreciate them enough at the time.

I hope they don't scrap all of them.

I'm glad they decided not to do Bran's dream, it was super trippy in the books and would look weird at best onscreen.

I'll be really sad if they don't put in the Tower of Joy though...the dialogue in that is so effing awesome. It would be fan-service-y I guess...but it's still awesome. They'll need to stress the importance of the Kingsguard a little more though if they want to pull it off.

The whole 'warging' thing never really did anything for me in the books so I won't care too much if they omit it (though considering its a major part of Bran's character arc I don't see that happening.)

Flashback dreams like the Tower of Joy scene are a totally different matter though. That bit for me was arguably the most engrossing chapter of GoT so I would be pretty pissed if it was removed. Due to the amount of mystery surrounding it, it's clearly vital to the story of asoiaf regardless of whether or not R+L is even true.

It would be stupid to leave it out.

I disagree. The "tower of joy" incident is history. The characters have talked about it. (although indirectly) What matters is NOW for the characters and audience - and they have a hard enough time to squeeze plot and character details into 10 episodes to waste significant time and resources on flashbacks. I would be very surprised if we see any flashbacks in the series.

I'd like to see both Bran's three-eyed crow and TOJ. They could have easily and effectively inserted Bran's dream in the "Lord Snow" ep, without doing it verbatim, at the start of his scene with Old Nan.

They could have shown him falling, like at the end of the first ep. Then, from his own POV, there could have been a crow circling and cawing to him from high above the tower. When he woke up from the dream, he could have told Old Nan that he dreamed a crow told him he could fly, to which Nan then delivers the line about not listening to crows because they're all liars.

Yes, I know he has the dream while he's in a coma, but I don't think it matters all that much to the tv version of the story in the long run, to shift the timeline somewhat.

Not sure how they could have worked in TOJ, though, without it seeming to jarringly out of place and leaving viewers who haven't read the books wondering when it happened, if it happened, and "what was that all about anyway?"

I disagree. The "tower of joy" incident is history. The characters have talked about it. (although indirectly) What matters is NOW for the characters and audience - and they have a hard enough time to squeeze plot and character details into 10 episodes to waste significant time and resources on flashbacks. I would be very surprised if we see any flashbacks in the series.

This is almost a must have for the series, non-readers be damned. It may be the 2 most important pages in ASOIAF. Shit, there is only like 3500 R+L=J threads on this board alone and that flashback/dream all but clears it up. Hell there are nearly as many speculation threads just on where the damn TOJ is located on maps of Westeros. Too important to leave out.

I'd like to see both Bran's three-eyed crow and TOJ. They could have easily and effectively inserted Bran's dream in the "Lord Snow" ep, without doing it verbatim, at the start of his scene with Old Nan.

They could have shown him falling, like at the end of the first ep. Then, from his own POV, there could have been a crow circling and cawing to him from high above the tower. When he woke up from the dream, he could have told Old Nan that he dreamed a crow told him he could fly, to which Nan then delivers the line about not listening to crows because they're all liars.

Yes, I know he has the dream while he's in a coma, but I don't think it matters all that much to the tv version of the story in the long run, to shift the timeline somewhat.

Not sure how they could have worked in TOJ, though, without it seeming to jarringly out of place and leaving viewers who haven't read the books wondering when it happened, if it happened, and "what was that all about anyway?"

So what if it is jarringly out of place. It was as well in the novels, and in truth it was so much so that I know I had to re-read it again and again. It was the first REAL clue that quite a bit that I just read was nowhere near as straightforward as I previously thought. It really is that important to have the TOJ dream in the show somehow. Jon's parentage is that much a mystery (maybe not to readers) that an extended dream sequence should be put in just for the sake of preserving it's importance.

well in the latest episode, it starts off with the three-eyed crow, also when Eddard goes to visit maester pycell, the measter remarks that jon Arryn's last words were the "seed is strong" so it is there, just taking time to build up to it; i imagine.

Archived