Would Daenerys find John Snow attractive?

CornCornSnow

Hi all,

Longtime GRRM fan, rekindled by the HBO series and the impending release of ADWD. Love the site.

I see a lot of posts where people predict Daenerys ending up with Jon Snow. My question: assuming R + L = J, why would Daenerys want to be with Jon Snow? I think she's beyond duty already (i.e. the duty to marry another Targ), and I think she will stay unconventional as the story progresses.

Her first love was the barbaric horselord Drogo, and now she is attracted to the gaudy blue-and-gold Daario Naharis.

What makes anyone think she would go for a boring, adolescent Jon Snow? Or any Westerosi for that matter? Her taste in men seems decidedly Eastern.

There are far too many variables that go into whom someone may find attractive to know whether Dany will be attracted to Jon if and when she meets him.

I mean, there's some implied attraction of Jaime to Brienne, of all people. Of Sansa to Sandor, for crying out loud.

Who'd have ever seen those coming?

As somebody who has read the boards obsessively for a while, I'd say this is an interesting topic. I don't think I can give a definite answer because they have never interacted, and in the past very odd attractions have been hinted at by GRRM. If Dany does marry Jon though a lot of things would have to fall in place as I agree she won't marry anybody out of duty (Jon leaving the NW without being killed, Dany and Jon meeting, them living long enough to get married, and both actually wanting to marry).

Wow, I agree that this is a very good idea for a thread. I never really considered that Dany might not be attracted to Jon. Dany, however, seems exactly like the kind of woman JON would like, though.

But who knows? By the time Jon and Dany meet up, Jon will have been the Lord Commander of the Wall for a while. He'll be a leader of men, like Drogo was a leader. And maybe Dany will become soured on men like Daario, if he happens to betray her or something (which seems pretty likely). Maybe her tastes will permanently turn to responsible, honorable men after that. She does seem to have a good deal of respect for "Arstan Whitebeard"...maybe she'll see the same dignity of bearing in a young son of Eddard Stark and find it attractive. She's also been hearing stories of Rhaegar, and how thoughtful and dignified he acted most of the time...maybe knowing that will sort of change what she admires in men, in general, as well.

Wow, I agree that this is a very good idea for a thread. I never really considered that Dany might not be attracted to Jon. Dany, however, seems exactly like the kind of woman JON would like, though.

But who knows? By the time Jon and Dany meet up, Jon will have been the Lord Commander of the Wall for a while. He'll be a leader of men, like Drogo was a leader. And maybe Dany will become soured on men like Daario, if he happens to betray her or something (which seems pretty likely). Maybe her tastes will permanently turn to responsible, honorable men after that. She does seem to have a good deal of respect for "Arstan Whitebeard"...maybe she'll see the same dignity of bearing in a young son of Eddard Stark and find it attractive. She's also been hearing stories of Rhaegar, and how thoughtful and dignified he acted most of the time...maybe knowing that will sort of change what she admires in men, in general, as well.

I understand what other posters are saying about the nuances of attraction, but Dany still seems too worldly for Jon. Now, I could definitely see the above happening—a one-two punch of huge personal growth on the part of Jon, followed by Dany having some bad experience in love before (or during) her trip to Westeros.

It would be more believable if the "5 year gap" was still in play, to give both characters time to grow. As it stands, I just imagine Dany showing up, looking at Jon and the men he leads, and being like... "LOL!"

And what about Jon? He's gone Black, and we know what comes from that.

And this made me lol, except then I remembered that Jon broke his oath over and over and over again... :)

This topic is ripe for speculation!

I don't think we can say definitively that Dany prefers Eastern men. She did well with Drogo, but that was more about making the best of an arranged marriage and there is no particular reason to suppose that she would choose someone like him of her own accord. We also saw considerable sexual tension between her and Jorah Mormont, which seems to indicate that she's not averse to average-looking Westerosi men. The truth is, Dany's hormones are raging to such a degree that she seems to get attracted to pretty much any decent-looking man she spends a lot of time with. Drogo, Jorah and Daario are all pretty different from each other, which suggests, I think, that Dany is open to men of varying physiques, ethnicities, ranks, and temperaments.

I agree with other posters who imply that Jon isn't in her league (yet), but frankly, is ANY guy in her league? (Hmm, maybe some of the bad ones, like Euron.) Surely Jon's at least as impressive as Daario.

Given his taciturn, undemonstrative manner, it will probably take her a while to notice him; GRRM isn't going to dump a love at first sight cliché on us, I hope. But assuming that Jon matures into an effective leader and Dany matures past getting crushes on hot but unsuitable men, there's no reason why this romance couldn't work.

I'm not sure what "A blue flower grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness" could be alluding to if it isn't a future feeling of attraction to Jon (if R+L=J) on her part.

This is a good point. The Citadel refers to Dany's vision as a link between Lyanna, Rhaegar, and Jon (since R gave L blue roses when he won the tourney).

I looked through some of Dany's other visions in that passage. Some of the prophecies are quite literal (10,000 slaves calling out "mother," a king with a red sword and no shadow). Interestingly, there are three visions in the subset that contains the flower reference. The first is Dany's horse, riding through the grass, beneath the stars. The second is of a corpse sailing a ship. The third is the blue flower on the ice wall. That section ends with the phrase, "mother of dragons, bride of fire." Could these be allusions to Dany's loves? Drago, one of the Greyjoys, and finally Jon? Wouldn't that make her bride of ice?

I think the sweet blue flower could be read as a convincing bit that Dany will fall in love with Jon. But since when is Jon sweet? Would his only lover, Ygritte, characterize him as such? I'm not sure. And by the Seven, I hope Jon isn't Dany's sweet flower on the Wall! I'll have to think on this some more.

Good catch on the possible links between the visions and Drogo, Victarion, and Jon.

I don't know whether or not that necessarily implies a romance, although it wouldn't surprise me. If he survives, Jon would likely be the "Ice" to her "Fire".*

I do think it's likely he'll hook up with her if he hooks up with Melisandre at some point. Sleeping with a maiden "kissed by fire" is anomaly. Sleeping with two fire-themed women is probably the start of a trend. ;)

* I don't think this will be because Jon is a Targaryen Bastard (assuming the Theory is true). In fact, my prediction is that Jon will find out about his parentage . . . and it won't mean anything except to him.

....The second is of a corpse sailing a ship. The third is the blue flower on the ice wall....

This could also be Maester Aemon. He tried to reach Dani, but died before he could accomplish that goal(on a ship, if I remember correctly). Victarion is still alive, unless his fleet will be destroyed by a kraken or whatever. But Dani needs his ships, so it's not likely.

About Jon and Dani, don't know what to say. Depends on the way they'll meet and if they do it as allies or foes.

Re: "filling the air with sweetness"

Isn't that something that came from Ned's flashbacks of ToJ? Lyanna dies in a bed of blood, clutching blue roses and surrounded by their scent. (I may have completely made that up but don't think so...)

Good call on the mounts!

Dany's prophecy in the House of the Undying does seem to indicate that she'll fall in love with Jon. Exactly how that might come about, however, is an interesting topic.

One possibility is that if R+L=J is true and comes to be revealed, then Dany could become attracted to Jon, or at least start seriously paying attention to him, simply because he would be the son of her brother Rhaegar, whom she clearly idolizes.

Another possibility is that thus far Dany has been attracted to warriors. Drogo was a peerless warrior among the Dothraki, and she apparently believes Daario Naharis to be a great warrior as well. By the time she reaches the Wall, Jon will probably have fought many other battles and shown himself to also be a talented warrior (and commander).

I think the sweet blue flower could be read as a convincing bit that Dany will fall in love with Jon. But since when is Jon sweet?

According to Thesaurus.com, "sweet" can also be interpreted to mean "attractive".

If Jon does some how hookup with Melisandre before meeting Dany, then there is almost a parallel between him and Dany when they get together.

Both will be the other's 3rd love interest. And both would have indirectly caused the death of their first loves. Even Melisandre and Euron would have kind of a parallel as each's second lover, older/more worldly partner who seem to have mysterious powers.

The only thing with Melisandre, is she capable of having intercourse with a man without draining him to make shadowbabies?

As tidy as that would be, I don't see Jon ending up in bed with Melisandre. She's supernaturally attractive and he have previous form with redheads, but I think he'll despise her. He's a suspicious young chap - and rightly so where she's concerned. It would be a massive break in character for him to open up to her in anyway and that includes his breeches...

Dany's got daddy issues though, and Victarion sounds like a he has a Drogo-ish physique. The Daario flirtation shows she's still a pretty normal teenage girl, so I think there's more potential for her to be wooed than Jon.

EDIT: Oops, you wrote Euron, I read Victarion. Can't remember what Euron looks like apart from eyepatch and blue lips, which I reckon would be a pretty big turn-off for Dany actually :pirate:

Archived