[Book Spoilers] Presentation of Mysteries

The Anti-Targ

Part of what kept people off balance in the books with R+L=J was Catelyn thinking about the rumour that Ashara Dayne is Jon's mother. Basically in that chapter which reveals the rumour, and Ned being particularly angry at Catelyn about it, pretty much has most readers thinking Jon is Ashara's.

TV series only watchers haven't had the slightest sniff of Ashara. I wonder if at some point in the remaining episodes there will be an opportunity for Catelyn to recall the Ashara rumour and her confronting Ned about it. Maybe in a conversation with Lyssa? If the Ashara theory is going to make an appearance, where's the best opportunity to introduce it?

[Edited by Ran: I've made this a broader topic than the original post, with a focus more on the overall presentation (or lack of same) of various mysteries from A Game of Thrones.]

The Ashara thing doesn't really lead anywhere in the books either. (so far) I think the most we hear about her is when Arya (or Sansa) is told that she committed suicide after Ned was forced to marry Catelyn. And wasn't that told in ACOK?

Arya hears that when she meets Edric Dayne in ASoS right? I know they talk about her a bit.

Catelyn thinks about Ashara in AGoT but they do not really make this mystery front and center for most of the series. Too much else going on.

If the Ashara rumor really is nothing but a red herring, then I'd expect the show to leave it out. Ned + Cersei = Jon seems to be a popular theory in the TWP unspoiled speculation thread, so it could have replaced Ashara as a distraction.

We know that GRRM told HBO who Jon's mother really is, so it's not like they have to leave the possibility open if its not actually true.

Archived