[SHOW/BOOK SPOILERS] Episode 6 cliffhanger

Anomandaris86

There seem to be rumors that the reason that Episode 7 is being offered prematurely is that Episode 6 ends on a cliffhanger. So of course we need to try to guess.

Here's Episode 6 summary:

Reinstated as the Hand, Ned sits for the King while Robert is on a hunt, and issues a decree that could have long-term consequences throughout the Seven Kingdoms. At the Eyrie, Tyrion confesses to his “crimes,” and demands that Lysa give him a trial by combat. Joffrey (Jack Gleeson) apologizes to Sansa; Viserys receives his final payment for Daenerys from Drogo (Jason Momoa).

And Episode 7:

Explaining that the future of the Lannisters is at stake, Tywin (Charles Dance) presses Jaime to “be the man you were meant to be” as they prepare for battle. Ned confronts Cersei about the secrets that killed Jon Arryn. With the fate of the missing Benjen (Joseph Mawle) very much on his mind, Jon Snow takes his Night’s Watch vows, though not with the assignment he coveted. After Ser Jorah (Iain Glenn) saves Daenerys from treachery, an enraged Drogo vows to lead the Dothraki where they’ve never gone before. An injured Robert takes pains to ensure an orderly transition at King’s Landing.

By those descriptions, I'm thinking the cliffhanger could be Robert getting mortally wounded. The other possibility could be in Tyrion's story. Thoughts?

Robert's mortal injury will happen off screen, just as it happened off page. It'll be the trial by combat.

Odd episode 6 summary: Tyrion confesses, but demands trial by combat. Aren't they mutually exclusive?

Trial by combat is usually called for by the side who's coming off worst in the trial by court, so they call for trial by combat to "prove" guilt or innocence before the gods; figuring they have a better chance of achieving their ends via combat. So one cannot confess and then call for combat to prove one's innocence. And AFAIK you don't get to fight your way out of being punished for the crime to which you have confessed.

Robert's mortal injury will happen off screen, just as it happened off page. It'll be the trial by combat.

Odd episode 6 summary: Tyrion confesses, but demands trial by combat. Aren't they mutually exclusive?

Trial by combat is usually called for by the side who's coming off worst in the trial by court, so they call for trial by combat to "prove" guilt or innocence before the gods; figuring they have a better chance of achieving their ends via combat. So one cannot confess and then call for combat to prove one's innocence. And AFAIK you don't get to fight your way out of being punished for the crime to which you have confessed.

Robert's injury may not be shown, but at least part of the hunt will be, unlike the books. There was footage shown in one of the preview clips of Robert and Lancel walking through the forest w/ a skin of wine.

Tyrion confesses to whoring, gambling, etc but not to murder. Same as it happens in the book.

If "Viserys receives his final payment for Daenerys from Drogo" refers to his 'crowning', that would be a very powerful way to end the episode. Then again it wouldn't be a cliffhanger.

I would say either trial by combat or we see Robert getting gored on-screen.

To be honest, it sounds like episode 6 is gonna be pretty full-on anyway so you won't need a cliffhanger to keep people wanting more.

Maybe the rumours have it wrong. Maybe they are showing ep 7 so quickly because there isn't a cliffhanger. I mean the reason TV shows have cliffhangers is to make sure folks tune in next week. If you have a super amazing cliffhanger you wouldn't show the resolution immediately, you would draw it out for as long as you could. For example if the series was going on hiatus for one week for, say, a holiday weekend, then you would pull out your super amazing cliffhanger. I think that they are showing this episode so soon to keep up the momentum. Events will be happening quickly now, so with two eps close together they can really get the story moving and the audience will have a better memory of what has came before.

Maybe the rumours have it wrong. Maybe they are showing ep 7 so quickly because there isn't a cliffhanger. I mean the reason TV shows have cliffhangers is to make sure folks tune in next week. If you have a super amazing cliffhanger you wouldn't show the resolution immediately, you would draw it out for as long as you could. For example if the series was going on hiatus for one week for, say, a holiday weekend, then you would pull out your super amazing cliffhanger. I think that they are showing this episode so soon to keep up the momentum. Events will be happening quickly now, so with two eps close together they can really get the story moving and the audience will have a better memory of what has came before.

I think this is more likely. I'm pretty sure the episode will end on the crowning, which isn't a cliffhanger, but just seems like a good way to end an episode. I haven't heard anything, but I'd wager that episode 7 ends with "I did tell you not to trust me".

Maybe the rumours have it wrong. Maybe they are showing ep 7 so quickly because there isn't a cliffhanger. I mean the reason TV shows have cliffhangers is to make sure folks tune in next week. If you have a super amazing cliffhanger you wouldn't show the resolution immediately, you would draw it out for as long as you could. For example if the series was going on hiatus for one week for, say, a holiday weekend, then you would pull out your super amazing cliffhanger.

This is the kind of bullshit I hate about TV.

Is there anything that would coincide with the sunday where the seventh episode in aired? NBA finals or something like that? I can see something like that being a reason why they chose this perticular episode to be the one released ahead of time as well to keep viewership up.

If they do not distort the time line from the books, then Robert's injury will happen (and likely be shown) in 'You win or you die' as Ned's talk with Cersei prompted her to act, and not something else. And said conversation does happen in episode 7. I assumed Viserys' crowning would be the last scene of episode 6.

Tyrion and Cat are likely arriving in the Eyrie next episode, so the trial-by-combat is likely going to happen in episode 6, but it would make little sense to make it into a cliffhanger.

Is there anything that would coincide with the sunday where the seventh episode in aired? NBA finals or something like that? I can see something like that being a reason why they chose this perticular episode to be the one released ahead of time as well to keep viewership up.

Holiday weekend is enough. Lots of people won't be home to watch it that night.

This is a good question.

Friends and I are planning to have wild boar for the episode where Robert "meets" the wild boar.

I've been guessing that would be in Ep 7, but that it could be an excellent ending for Ep 6 (last shot, wild boar charging at Robert).

This may be off topic but I am wondering if anyone knows the answer. If this is the wrong place to ask then I offer my apologies in advance. New to this forum and mostly any forums and I am never sure what is the right thing to do. So here is my question: On one of these sites they showed the following regarding episodes:

EP109: Baelor

EP110: Fire and Blood.

Is there only 8 episodes or Ep 9 and 10 inaccurate.

Thanks

This may be off topic but I am wondering if anyone knows the answer. If this is the wrong place to ask then I offer my apologies in advance. New to this forum and mostly any forums and I am never sure what is the right thing to do. So here is my question: On one of these sites they showed the following regarding episodes:

EP109: Baelor

EP110: Fire and Blood.

Is there only 8 episodes or Ep 9 and 10 inaccurate.

Thanks

Those names were allegedly leaked when the HBO site with all of the info went live early and some industrious fans found the link. They have not been officially released or confirmed. It is confirmed, however, that there are 10 episodes.

Yep as said I think the reason for showing that one early is episode 7 is set to air Memorial Day weekend so those of us that may be out of town (like me) get a chance to see it before we visit family that doesn't have HBO.

Most TV shows put on re-runs holiday weekends (in the US).

My guesses for the ending of the last 5 episodes:

Ep 6: Viserys gets his crown.

Ep 7: Robert dies.

Ep 8: Ned is betrayed by Littlefinger.

Ep 9: The execution.

Ep 10: Dragons.

I don't know about episode 9... I think the execution is not the cliffhanger of that episode. Given the amount of stuff that occurs as a result of it, I wouldn't be surprised if it occurs in the middle of episode 9.

I don't know about episode 9... I think the execution is not the cliffhanger of that episode. Given the amount of stuff that occurs as a result of it, I wouldn't be surprised if it occurs in the middle of episode 9.

Such as?

I'm pretty sure that the Whispering Wood and Tywin's battle with Bolton occur before/around the same time as his execution.

Archived