Ser Jorah

Millardkillmoore

Ser Jorah is one of my favorite characters. I find him to be one of the most complex and interesting people in the whole series. After his exile, what will he do? Will he once more become a mercenary knight? Rejoin Dany? Fight her? Join the Golden Company? Take the black? find his way back home to Bear Island? Or will he meet some other fate? What are your thoughts on his future?

Back to bear island.. Who's left to rule there? The starks are gone in any case and I'm sure Roose Bolton will have a use for him.

Maege Mormont is still alive. She was sent to find Howland Reed.

I agree with the original poster, Jorah is one of my favorite characters too.

I lost any sympathy or appreciation for Mormont Jr after this passage in AGOT:

“Still, there may be as many as ten thousand captives... I’ve told the khal he ought to make for Meereen,” Ser Jorah said. “They’ll pay a better price than he’d get from a slaving caravan. Illyrio writes that they had a plague last year, so the brothels are paying double for healthy young girls, and triple for boys under ten. If enough children survive the journey, the gold will buy us all the ships we need, and hire men to sail them.”

I mean, who wouldn't be thrilled at the prospect of whores having died so that you can make more money selling children into sexual slavery?

Nothing he's done since has indicated to me that Mormont is anything other than a user who will take advantage of innocents to further his own selfish personal goals.

I honestly think it's entirely possible Jorah will never be seen again in the books. Really, would anything cap what happened with him and Dany?

That was the moment Jorah lost his chance for greatness.

Maybe not King of Westeros but possibly a Kingsguard and redemption.

I agree with the (surprising) majority in this thread: I love Jorah and think he is a wonderful character. I'd love to hear more from him. I doubt he is simply gone, though. He was the only relate-able and interesting character from Dany's story early on, it'd be a crime to never see him again.

It's entirely Martinesque to never hear from again.

When has he done this? It's like him to make them disappear, but I don't recall any major characters just disappearing for good.

I think Jorah will probably end up being killed by one of the dragons. He'll do something stupid in his desperation and possibly go after Daenerys violently.

I guess the question is what would be more final for his story?

I was fine with him parting with Daenerys. But with three more books coming and Jorah heartbroken and with a history of betraying people, I wouldn't be surprised to see him either stalk Daenerys to his death or return to Westeros without her.

You have a point, he was a strong part of Dany's story; good, bad, or otherwise.

But, I could argue that Syrio or Benjen are equally important people, and there is no guarantee that either will return.

His sole purpose to serving Dany was self-serving, had Ned not condemned him, he would not have fled. While most writers may have felt compelled to bring him back (and Martin may do so) he has no one left to serve, in my opinion. Being Martinesque, I simply meant his character has served the story, and he proved unworthy of everyone he served. Sometimes people leave and are never heard from again.

What did he do to prove himself so unworthy of Dany, in the end? In the beginning, absolutely, but all she was then was a name and a potential pardon. The only thing I felt he did that really personally betrayed Dany was writing from Qarth, and it is worth mentioning that by that point, he knew Varys did not want Dany dead. Varys and Illyrio had already warned Jorah of one assassination attempt against Dany...by Qarth, it's actually smart of him to be staying in contact, in case more assassins are sent. But telling Dany would risk what happened, with her booting him out.

I'm not saying it makes Jorah some wonderful example of humanity, but the idea that he has "no redeeming qualities" is absolutely baffling to me. Gregor Clegane has no redeeming qualities. Jorah is not that. Everything he's done (as far as we can tell) has been for love...first for love of Lynesse (the slaves), then for love of his home (spying), then for love of Dany (not one specific act, but his suggestions were mostly made with what appears to be her best interests in mind, after Qarth). And for what it's worth, most of what he told her was right. Dany got pissed that he kept telling her not to trust anyone, but who was he wrong about? The only ones he told her not to trust that weren't actually out to harm Dany (or horribly use her for their own benefit) was Belwas and Barristan, and the fact is, while Jorah drew the wrong conclusions about why, he was absolutely right that they were lying to Dany (well, Barristan was, not sure how much Belwas knew).

Does it make Jorah a great guy? No, but NO redeeming quality? Seriously? None whatsoever?

I could argue that Syrio or Benjen are equally important people

You could, I suppose, but it's an argument I'd like to hear. Syrio got a few chapters, his purpose was to train Arya, and he's presumed dead. Benjen had even less screentime, is presumed dead, and most people think we WILL see him again (or at the very least get confirmation of his death). Jorah was a relatively major character, particularly in Dany's storyline, for 3 full books. I can understand the argument of "his purpose has been served", although I'm not sure I entirely agree, but in terms of what we're reading in the actual books, he's much more important than Benjen (as of now) and certainly more important than Syrio.

Jorah is great. He's super, super flawed, and really an incredibly weak person. Which makes him all the more compelling, IMO, considering he also has a lot of redeeming qualities - he's personable, brave, intelligent, romantic, adaptable. But at the core, he's just so damn weak...

I'm torn as to whether he will try to destroy Dany or somehow worm his way back to her. I don't think he'll return to Bear Island. I don't think he's done in the story in any case.

Jorah's crime is basically he envisioned himself as Dany's consort and King of Westeros.

Getting ideas above your station is, oddly enough, one of the few unforgivable sins in Medieval society.

Seriously - all Jorah had to do was beg for forgiveness and he would have had it.

By unworthy I mean, for me, it's hard to forgive the initial betrayal. Having good reasons to do something wrong does not make it right.

Jorah did have more "screen-time" than Syrio or Benjen, but within the confines of the story, he is not that important, the son of a minor lord, or arguably a minor lord himself. Where Ben was the son of a high lord, and Syrio was once the First Sword of Bravos.

Any of the three could die, and it would not change the plans of the people they serve.

Archived