Moments that made you sad

Cressen's whole prologue in ACOK. From beginning to end, it is absolutely heartbreaking.

A close second isRobert's death. Sure he was a very, very flawed man, but Ned's reaction really sells it.

Finally, Jorah's exile. I kept wanting to see Dany take him back into her service, but she doesn't. Made me quite sad, especially when Daario asked if she wanted him dead. For one horrible second, I thought she was going to take him up on that offer.

"And me, that boy I was . . . when did he die, I wonder? When I donned the white cloak? When I opened Aerys’s throat? That boy had wanted to be Ser Arthur Dayne, but someplace along the way he had become the Smiling Knight instead. "

Martin, George R.R. (2003). A Storm of Swords: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Three (p. 916). Bantam. Kindle Edition.

Arya's reaction to Gendry leaving got to me. And the description of Ser Rodrik offering his hand to Bolton's bastard only to have him slice it off. And the archer, can't recall his name, who goes back to try and give the Halfhand and Jon Snow time to escape the wildlings. That scene was very powerful IMO

Believe it or not, the scene where the Hound is dying under the tree and asks Arya "do you know where the heart is"? Basically giving up and giving her the go ahead to kill him, I kind of feel for the guy I really think deep down inside he wants to repent and atone for his sins. Hopefully he really is still alive like some theroies suggest

Believe it or not, the scene where the Hound is dying under the tree and asks Arya "do you know where the heart is"? Basically giving up and giving her the go ahead to kill him, I kind of feel for the guy I really think deep down inside he wants to repent and atone for his sins. Hopefully he really is still alive like some theroies suggest

Definitely agree, knowing he could never fully brush off the awful things he did and was probably haunted by a few of them.

Also, when Davos realizes his sons are dead/dying was very sad

I'm more sensitive to animals than people, so: the death of Lady; the banishment of Nymeria; the death of Grey Wind (that is what made the Red Wedding sad for me); Summer and Shaggy mourning Lady's bones; when Summer got hurt fighting Wildlings at Queenscrown; when Ghost was attacked by the warg Eagle guy; when Jon had to part from Ghost to go over the wall.

Plus, like Dany, I was saddened to hear about the Unsullied's training methods of raising a pup and then killing it (me being me, I was far less upset about the Unsullied slaying of random infants). And I was really sad when Dany was going to (or prentending to) give away Drogon. I kept imagining it was my cat and that I had to give him away and I was really almost teary at that idea.

Septon Maribald's speach about broken men is sad.

Arya worrying that her family wouldn't want her back because of all the things she's done just tears me up.

Cat watching her supposed last son murdered in front of her eyes.

Cressen's whole prologue in ACOK. From beginning to end, it is absolutely heartbreaking.

This x10. It is one of my favorite chapters, but I tend to skip it anyway because it make the ol' mascara run. George made me care more for Cressen in that short chapter than I do for most of the main POVs.

edit:

Plus, like Dany, I was saddened to hear about the Unsullied's training methods of raising a pup and then killing it (me being me, I was far less upset about the Unsullied slaying of random infants).

This too! Although I was sad about the puppies, the castrations, the babies.. the whole shebang.

Sansa being taken to the Tower of the Hand after Joffrey's men beat her up.

Rickon hiding in the crypt with Shaggydog and saying "You let my father be!".

Bran parting with Eddard's carved replica when hiding from Theon in the tombs with Jojen and Meera.

Jon thinking "Let them say that Eddard Stark had fathered four sons, not three."

So basically people remembering Ned throughout the books.

I'm not sure I can remember what made me sad.

I've gotten so used to the atrocities and the grimdark, honestly, that I'm sort of numb to it all now. I'm not sure I get "sad" about anyone in ASOIAF anymore. All I can muster now is "disappointed."

My last "sad" was probably at the Red Wedding, though. I guess that was it. But it's hard to remember how that felt now.

Eddard's dream about the tower of joy and the three Kingsguard, Arthur Dayne,Gerold Hightower,Oswell Whent.

“And now it begins” said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

“No,” Ned said with sadness in his voice. “Now it ends.”

I barely like the Starks, but the scene where Robb holds Bran's hand after dinner, twisting their fingers together as he cries, was really touching to me for some reason.

When was that i can't remember it.

OT: The Tower of Joy memory and the "I killed her screaming whelp. I raped her then I smashed her fucking head in"

OT: The Tower of Joy memory and the "I killed her screaming whelp. I raped her then I smashed her fucking head in"

The scene with Gregor and Oberyn was the most shocking to me. Right before Eddard and Robb were killed i knew there was something going wrong. There was this feeling of

impending doom.. But during the oberyn/gregor fight i thought that Martin had at last offered me some nice justice/vengeance... And then BAM! oberyn is dead :S

When was that i can't remember it.

After Tyrion returns from the Wall and passes through Winterfell. Bran and Robb dine with Yoren & Co. and when the dinner ends, Robb carries Bran to his room himself. They talk about riding together to meet Cat and see Jon, and Bran hears Robb sobbing.

Archived