Moments that made you sad

To me, Red Wedding was more shocking than sad. I think the sadest moment in the books is when Joffrey dies ;)

I was shocked by the Red Wedding, too. I had to go back and read it to make sure they were dead.

But Ned sitting with Lady, observing her before he does the deed Cersei requires is very sad for me. I coudn't kill one of my children's pets.

Agree with the people that mentioned Bran and Robb weeping together. Nothing too terrible has even happened yet, it is just so foreboding and I really feel for Robb who is taking on so much at such a young age and finally needed to break down.

Good remarks, all.

Hope I'm remembering this right, but I think Ned is thinking of Jon in his cell, and is filled with a sadness to deep for words. I always liked that. How tragic circumstances engulfed Ned's life, yet he always tried to overcome or atone for them in the right way. Truly a dynamic character.

The first sad moment of the books, for me, was the death of Ned. I was like "WHAT THE F*CK???". I still cry for Ned :crying:

After that, Renly's death was also sad. I actually quite liked him. Then, with no doubt, the death of Robb and Catelyn.

The last one was just lack of attention from me. In aGoT, Varys says Jorah Mormont was his best informer next to Dany, but I must have missed it because I didn't really remembered it. When I was reading aFfC and Dany discovers the treason of Jorah I was like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO". And then I remembered "Oh, wait, but Varys said he was his informer!"

There are so many sad moments in the books.

Dany's memory of the house with the red door and Ser Willem's death.

Ned visiting the crypts with Robert and remembering Lyanna's death, and later his dream of the ToJ. His time in the black cells, and how he confesses his "crimes" so they won't kill Sansa.

Jon saying goodbye to Robb and Arya wasn't sad to me on the first read, but it is now.

When Ned has to kill Lady.

Arya's depression after Mycah's death.

That moment with Robb and Bran when Robb promises they'll ride to the wall together to see Jon.

The story of Tyrion's first marriage.

How Syrio holds off Ser Meryn and the others so that Arya can escape.

Ned's death.

When Joffrey takes Sansa to see her father's head and she considers pushing him off the wall.

When Bran and Rickon dream of Ned in the crypts and then the raven brings the news - I think that was the saddest moment of all in GoT for me, and the ToJ dream was second.

When Dany has to smother Drogo.

And that's all in the first book.

He dreamt an old dream, of three knights in white cloaks, and a tower long fallen, and Lyanna in her bed of blood.

In the dream his friends rode with him, as they had in real life. Proud Martyn Cassel, Jory's father; faithful Theo Wull; Ethan Glover, who had been Brandon's squire; Ser Mark Ryswell, soft of speech and gentle of heart; the crannogman, Howland Reed; Lord Dustin on his great red stallion. Ned had known their faces as well as he knew his own once, but the years leech at a man's memories. even those he has vowed never to forget. In the dream they were only shadows, grey wraiths on horses made of mist.

They were seven, facing three. In the dream as it had been in life. Yet these were no ordinary three. They waited before the round tower, the red mountains of Dorne at their backs, their white cloaks blowing in the wind. And these were no shadows; their faces burned clear, even now. Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, had a sad smile on his lips. The hilt of his greatsword Dawn poked up over his right shoulder. Ser Oswell Whent was on one knee, sharpening his blade with a whetstone. Across his white-enameled helm, the black bat of his House spread its wings. Between them stood fierce old Ser Gerold Hightower, the White Bull, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard.

"I looked for you on the Trident," Ned said to them.

"We were not there," Ser Gerold answered.

"Woe to the Usurper if we had been," said Ser Oswell.

"When King's Landing fell, Ser Jaime slew your king with a golden sword, and I wondered where you were."

"Far away," Ser Gerold said, "or Aerys would yet sit the Iron Throne, and our false brother would burn in seven hells."

"I came down on Storm's End to lift the siege," Ned told them, "and the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne dipped their banners, and all their knights bent the knee to pledge us fealty. I was certain you would be among them."

"Our knees do not bend easily," said Ser Arthur Dayne.

"Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone, with your queen and Prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with them."

"Ser Willem is a good man and true," said Ser Oswell.

"But not of the Kingsguard," Ser Gerold pointed out. "The Kingsguard does not flee."

"Then or now," said Ser Arthur. He donned his helm.

"We swore a vow," explained old Ser Gerold.

Ned's wraiths moved up beside him, with shadow swords in hand. They were seven against three.

"And now it begins," said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

"No," Ned said with sadness in his voice. "Now it ends." As they came together in a rush of steel and shadow, he could hear Lyanna screaming. "Eddard!" she called. A storm of rose petals blew across a blood-streaked sky, as blue as the eyes of death.

"Lord Eddard," Lyanna called again.

"I promise," he whispered. "Lya, I promise..."

“Are they ever coming back?” Bran asked him.

“Yes,” Robb said with such hope in his voice that Bran knew he was hearing his brother and not just Robb the Lord. “Mother will be home soon. Maybe we can ride out to meet her when she comes. Wouldn’t that surprise her, to see you ahorse?” Even in the dark room, Bran could feel his brother’s smile. “And afterward, we’ll ride north to see the Wall. We won’t even tell Jon we’re coming, we’ll just be there one day, you and me. It will be an adventure.”

“An adventure,” Bran repeated wistfully. He heard his brother sob. The room was so dark he could not see the tears on Robb’s face, so he reached out and found his hand. Their fingers twined together.

I hadn't remembered this scene at all, but it just killed me on my reread. Talk about the termination of childhood. Sigh.

Like others have said the first read of the Red Wedding was more shocking than sad at first, but I was re-reading that chapter the other day outside by the pool in 86 degree temps and I had chills as I read it again. When Rob has two arrows in him and remembers his new wife and Grey Wind and tries to stand up as Cately pleads for his life in particular.

I felt sad when the old bear dies... Jorah's father was a way better man than his son and how he got killed. I would say the Red Wedding had me more than a little depressed as well and touched me more than I'd ever care to admit. I also felt more than a little depressed when Ned ends up getting killed. :(

Archived